what brand oil do you use?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscoriver

I bought my second 3D today. It's a 2005 premium with 45 hours. The boat is in decent shape but spent some time being stored outside. For the price it was worth it. The original owner was an older guy and had many other skis and toys. He had a recent receipt from a BRP dealer showing the hours and he seemed like a decent, honest guy. He told me it was taken in for service at the dealer before and after each season. After getting the ski home today I started my pre-ride rountine. When I drained the jet pump oil.... the fluid was dirty and as thin as water. I have changed a few of these now and never seen the fluid so thin and "used up" before. The pusher part even has a small burn from the shaft. I plan to replace many of the cheaper plastic parts and etc...but i'm a little worried about the bearings. I want to flush the system a few times to clean out the old oil/grime, and then refill it. The Sea-doo brand jet pump oil is is rather expensive. I don't wanna spent $60+ on fluids to dump out. The Sea-doo oil is sythetic SAE 75W-90. My question is...can't I just use another brand 75W-90 oil? Amsoil makes this weight oil for gears/bearings. I can get a qaurt(32oz) of Amsoil for $10 or 6oz of BRP for $15. Has anyone used other brands of oils?

I'm with Lou. A quart of Mobil 1 synthetic from auto zone has lasted me 4 seasons and has a lot left. Can't go wrong for $10.

I had another question about the filler plug. What product do you guys use to seal it? I thought it needs green loctite. Do you think Yamabond will work?

The manual calls for blue locktite, 242, that's what I use. IDK about yamabond.

Lou

thanks again Lou! I really appreciate the help even though I'm a newbie. I got a new o-ring, pusher assembly and some Mobil 1. Flushed it about six times now. I would fill it...start the boat for like 2 seconds....drain and repeat. I got the fluid coming out looking really clean now. But today I wanted to run it for a little longer and check some other things. With the engine running and a garden hose attached, no water was coming out the outlet on the side of the boat. The rubber tube that is connected to the center outlet is not hooked up to anything. My question is....where is the outlet on the engine for the water? Shouldn't the center tube be feed by the cooling system? The two outer tubes are breathers for the exhaust and fuel on my boat.....but the center tube is not connected to anything.

after doing some more reading...I can ask the question to make a little more sense...lol. The Cooling System Bleed outlet is not hooked up. It's attached to the fitting on the left side of the boat...but nothing else. Where does this line connect in the cooling system? thanks for any help!

the BRP manual I have calls for 567 Loctite...I kinda thought blue loctite was wrong. It also needs to be a sealer because of the pressure of the fluid. If you run blue loctite, 242 or anything similiar on the filler cap....your pump will slowly leak oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back