What’s my PTO cover hanging on?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

betadeltadelta

New here and new to SeaDoo’s.

I recently picked up 2-2005 GTX S/C’s and one has 5-10 psi of oil pressure measured at the oil pressure sensor bung.

I stripped the ski down tonight in the rear, including the SC and water pump cover to check out the rear oil pump and oil pressure regulator etc. All PTO bolts are removed and the bearing/boot is removed too. I also jacked the engine up 1.5” on the left motor mount to get the two bolts directly under the drive shaft/thru hill area.

I can slide the PTO cover off close to half an inch and can’t seem to get it any further. If I let go it seems to “spring” back. Is the the magnetic stator sucking it back into place? It almost seems like a rubber boot or something similar that is making it spring back onto the engine.

I know there is the bendix, but I don’t think that would “suck” the PTO cover back on. What am I missing? I don’t want to make my life any worse right now after wrestling this thing apart tonight.

All of the videos I’ve watched including the very detailed ones from 3FT Deep, there doesn’t appear to be anything internally that would make it hang like this.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Man that would suck if so… I have it supported with a wood block under the left motor mount right now so I could access the lower two most bolts.

I’ll have to look at it closely tomorrow to see if that’s what it’s hung up on. I don’t think so though, that wouldn’t make it spring back into place.

Yup, I did the same and wedged a wood block under the motor mount on the left to have it lifted just enough to get to bottom bolts. But then removed the 2x4 and strap.

But if that left motor mount bracket has to come off the block I guess I have to wedge something under the engine and support from the bottom of the hull? I think leaving the motor hanging with a 2x4 there will be in my way for working.

After removing the first few pto covers I took off about 18 years ago and leaving the engine in, I realized it is much easier to just pull the motor and will actually save time and you will do better work with the engine on the bench. Removing the engine takes less than 1 hour. Wait until you try to clean everything up and put the new gasket on and get all the bolts torqued. Takes way longer to leave it in the hull and you have to work on your head.

Yes, left motor mount has to come off and don't forget the small bolt on the bottom right that is very hard to access.

I’ve considered it many times but I don’t have the means to do so at the moment between the double trailer and all my other belongings in the garage. My HOA won’t allow the trailer to be outside so everything has to stay concealed inside which limits my space so I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got and learning a lot along the way. It may come to that but I’d have to build a gantry in the garage somehow. For now I guess that left engine mount has to come off and keep pressing on.

Stator is pulling it back on. Just the bracket for the left mount has to come off, not the mount itself. I just did this job over the weekend, I used a ratchet strap and a cane. When it came time to line everything up I used the came as leverage to pick the engine back up into place to line the bolts up. It was pretty easy.
PXL_20220904_164131411.jpg

That's exactly what I did, ratchet strap and all only with a 2x4 to be able to remove the engine mount bracket. Then the PTO cover came off finally. There must be just the tiniest bit of metal blocking it from sliding completely off on that left side. Still waiting on parts on my end.

Out of curiosity, what was yours removed for? Oil pressure issues?

My oil pump had minor scoring but didn't look awful and there was only tiny fragments of gunk in the pickup screen. The oil pressure regulator piston sleeve was toast and the piston was rusted/stuck in the bore of the sleeve. It looks like it was overtightened by the previous owner and crushed and it also didn't have the second, smaller interior spring, just the larger diameter one. Hoping this is my oil pressure issue, but time will tell after replacing all wear parts with the pump and all regulator parts.

I replaced mine cause I tried to grind the bolt for the camshaft sensor off and went a little too far and grounds into the PTO housing. There wasn't any of the bolt sticking out either so I figured I'd just replace the whole housing off it was coming off. Good thing I did to cause my water pump impeller was ate up pretty bad. On the new PTO housing, I also double checked all of the bolts torque before I reinstalled it and found the one of the oil pump bolt threads completely stripped so I had to helli coil it. Otherwise the used housing I got was in like new condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back