Wetjet international

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this 1987 wetjet 428 L/C by wet jet international today and was wondering if anyone has parts for it still. Specifically a carburetor rebuild kit. It is basically Mint Condition museum-quality almost looks like it was made in 1987 and it hasn't been licensed since 1992 and it's been stored inside ever since even the motor is shiny black still. It cranks over well with the jumper pack looks like all it needs is a new battery and rebuild the carburetor. I also have to figure out how to put new hoses in the fuel tank because it sucks from the top of the tank but all the hoses have degraded inside the tank so those need replaced

That's awesome, I passed on buying a pair a number of years ago. Wish I didn't. Just need to see what carb is in there, I'm sure the parts are available. Keep us updated please. Take some pics and post them.

Pulled the spark plugs and replaced them, BR8ES NGK.

Spins over really good with jumper pack. Sometimes it tries to start with throttle all the way pushed. With starting fluid it doesn't really try to start. Acts like it's flooded. Then I pull the new spark plugs and they are wet. Held new spark plugs to ground and cranked it gives good blue spark well. Think I just have to get a carb rebuild kit.

Oh and all this is with carb hooked directly to a 6 gallon marine portable gas tank half full with new today gas mixed 40:1 with seadoo synthetic 2 stroke oil $46 a gallon ouch. The tank on the wet jet has a syrup looking dried old gas bottom of tank with lots of rubber hoses pieces sitting in the bottom. I'm assuming from the fuel pickup tube. Tank sucks gas from the top but I can't figure out how to remove the elbow fittings so I can replace the inside tank hoses.

I haven't yet cleaned the carburetor but I did do a compression test and it looks good to me

Dry
Mag side 145 psi
Pto. 143

With oil
Mag 165
Pto 163

I would think it is flooding too easy and should try to start better on starting fluid also tried premix gas. But compression looks good to me so I will probably remove carb today and clean and rebuild IF I can find a kit

Carb is tore apart now. The gaskets really held it together like glue. The needle valve is stuck closed probably why it wouldn't start but otherwise carb is really clean. PO probably drained all gas before parking it. Need to order the carb kit and the needle valve then I'm assuming it will start right up.

Why do none of the rebuild kits come with the valve and seat? Are they all different or something?

So I rebuilt the carburetor and I still cannot get it to start it will start on starting fluid and then immediately die once that's burned off

Because the pickup tubes are rotted out of the gas tank I am currently connecting the carb directly to a plastic portable boat gas tank but I am unsure as to which fitting is Inlet which one is Outlet and which one is pulse I hooked it up the way it originally was but there's no telling what a previous owner has changed and if it's correct can anyone tell me which fitting is in which one is out and which one is pulse there's a banjo fitting on the back side that I think is Inlet and then on the side of the round fuel pump there is a smaller diameter plastic fitting which I'm pretty sure is pulse and then on the bottom coming out of the side of round fuel pump there is a brass fitting which I think is the return

I put my finger on the pulse line coming out of the engine and I felt pulsing on my finger when I got the machine the brass fitting on the bottom side of the fuel pump had what looks like a large inline filter but I have tried keeping the pulse line on the plastic fitting that smaller and I've tried swapping the gas tank to the other two remaining fittings and I can't get it to start on either one. Probably my first step is I need to go to the gas station and get more gas because I put two and a half gallons in a 6 gallon can of fresh gas but when I pump the brand new Attwood primer bulb sometimes it doesn't act like it's pumping acts like it's sucking air from the tank so I think two and a half gallons of a 6 gallon can should be plenty but maybe not so I will start by getting more

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. It didn't have the primer before. The primer is only on for testing purposes and is on my portable boat tank. and will come off when I am ready to run off the wet jets tank.

IT'S RUNNING.

Starts right up, no effort. After I rebuilt the carb I put all hoses back where they were. Wouldn't start. I looked further into my rebuild instructions that came with the kit and one part on the very tip end of the round fuel pump was labeled fuel Inlet so I put the fuel Inlet from the portable gas tank there and put the pulse line from the nipple hanging out the side of the round fuel pump and it starts right up and runs great

A little extra work I was performing on the WetJet the fuel pickup tube was rotted and needed replaced there were three fittings coming out of the top of the tank plus one that was another one that was plugged off the inlet fitting would not come off no matter how hard I've tried I've had it soaking for a couple of days in PB Blaster still nothing so best thing I can think of I took one of the other fittings which were not the same size they were smaller diameter removed that fitting for say the vent on the tank and change that into the pickup by drilling out and soldering in a copper pipe from the hardware store to become the new fuel pickup tube

I still need to replace all fuel lines on the wet bike so they aren't rotted or anything and I need to buy a battery and clean the gas tank out that should be everything should be good to go

Video is unavailable.

Super stoked for you! I want to hear/see it run. Get that video fixed.

Fuel line looks like a nice solid repair good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back