Wear ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda a dumb question but do u have to take impeller off to change wear ring? Or can u pull it off over impeller?
u have to take saw or like I just did a die grinder and put a slot all the way dow the side to pop out, impellor in the way

Wait!!!!!!
If you are talking Mercury jet, there is NO cutting required!
Remove the nozzle.
Remove the stator. Remove steering and shift cables.
Wear ring should be able to be removed at this point.

Yes it is a mercury. So if impeller looks good I can leave it on and change wear ring. Correct? I’m waiting till season is over before I take it apart to look at it. I’m nervous never have worked on a jet before. Thank you for info!!!!

Part is expensive. Repair for about $20, that lasted 4 years for me.

I'm looking at repairing my wear ring in the off-season this year, it's my understanding that you can do it with epoxy but I can't seem to find the thread explaining this?

Last edited:
After you have wear ring in your hands, sand the inside. Wash with soap and dry in the sun. Paint the inside with epoxy resin (not glue.) While wet, lay in a strip of lightweight fiberglass cloth that is precut to length. Continue painting, until the cloth is saturated. Let it cure. The 5 holes are cooling water. You MUST cut the cloth from these holes. Sand smoth. Paint if desired. Reassemble. Check clearance to impeller at the top of the impeller. Should be less than the thickness of a dime. Finish assembly.

CAUTION: do not rotate the engine unless stator is in place. Don't forget stator oil.

CAUTION: There are 2 o-rings on the wear ring. One large about 7". One small, about 1". The small one is your cooling water passage. Put in a new o-ring there. It's common hardware.

I think I saw Tim say elsehwere that his fiberglass fix was on 4 seasons. The jb weld can make a single season if not under daily use.

I think I saw Tim say elsehwere that his fiberglass fix was on 4 seasons. The jb weld can make a single season if not under daily use.

I tried an industrial product called "Devcon". Similar to JBWeld. Lasted 2 outings before it started to flake off.

It's kind of pricey but you can have a stainless steel ring inserted into the housing. I did mine a few years ago and it has held up really well.

So on the cooling holes do u cut out the
Whole circle of holes? Or do u drill them out later?

I used an Xacto knife on each hole just before resin was fully cured. Use a light to double-check that the passage is not full of resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back