Wear Ring Replacement Details?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nateccnn

My apologies if it's been beat to death. I tried the search feature and did not locate what I'm looking for.

I have two 2007 RXP Wake Editions that I beat the **** out of my wear rings this weekend. Now looking for the procedure for replacing them and can't for the life of me find it. I got the pumps off and got the rocks out. One of the skis does about 48 mph and the other hits 60 after putting it all back together. I've heard there's a process where you put the pump in the freezer and it slips right out. But...what else needs to be replaced when you tear it down that far?

So I may as well tell the funny part of the story on how this happened. I have two older skis and my buddy has one newer GTi. I pulled my ski up on the beach by letting it coast in at a good clip and then went to help my wife, who was riding for the first time. I ran her's onto the beach but not quite fast enough so I gave it some gas and sucked Half the beach into the impeller. Immediately knew what I did so I shut it down. Later on I was going for a ride and my wife said she would probably come out later to find me...I said to her, make sure you float the ski out into the water before starting it up. Off I went to have a great ride for about 45 minutes. When I came back I beached it by coasting in to shore. The next time I went to ride my buddy asks me if I want him to push me out and I said, "nah...I got this..." shoved into reverse and tried to pull out and sucked the other half the beach into the good ski. OK...I'm a dumb ^$$.

After we got the skis on the trailer and tore into them I have a better understanding of how these things work and much more careful the rest of there weekend. Lessons learned.

Now...Onto the repair procedure. Any tips...shortcuts that don't sacrifice quality? Other parts to consider while I' in that far?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2018-08-11 10.40.49.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 2018-08-11 10.40.57.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
So I read the sticky on greasing the bearings under the cone and seems to be basically the same process as doing the wear ring. I found sonme you-tubes on replacing the wear ring. Figure I may as well do the grease too. Following is what I ordered. Did I miss anything? I assume I will not need an impeller removal tool. My impeller is beat up on the trailing edge but the forward edges look clean and smooth.

Current Items In Shopping Cart
QtyPart Number DescriptionPriceTotal
2-67000372 WEAR RING 68.99 137.98
2-93200087 NEOPRENE SEAL 13.99 27.98
2-93300086 O-RING 5.99 11.98
2-93550032 JET PUMP BEARING GREASE, 110 G 9.99 19.98

Yes you missed a bunch of stuff. Download your shop manual at seadoomanuals.net. Follow the procedures for jet pump rebuild, and buy a new impeller. You don't need a "sticky" you need to read the shop manual.

How many hours on the ski?
When was the last time the jet pump was rebuilt? The jet pump grease seal is a 100 hr maintenance replacement item).

Yes you will need the impeller removal tool (and some others too ... hex bit, bearing driver tool, pressure test tool etc.)

You won't know what you really need until you get the jet-pump disassembled and the parts cleaned. DO NOT put the pump in the freezer until you pull the cone and remove any water. If you bearing cavity is full of water and you put in the freezer, you may crack the pump.

So on one of the skis the freezer trick work like a charm. I grabbed the impeller housing and the wear ring just fell out in my hand. The other one was stuck in there good. The one that fell out was identical to the OEM replacement I bought. The one that was stuck had obviously been replaced before.

Under both cones I found fresh grease with no water or signs of leakage. Replaced the o rings anyhow and regreased for assurance. I know how old the grease is now. But the old grease looked brand new.

On the pump that the wear ring would not come out I did have to remove the impeller. The old impeller was bent on the leading edge. I replaced it with a new impeller. I will take the old one in for repair so I then have a spare.

I have a printed copy of the shop manual. It's all greasy from when I rebuilt the super chargers at 113 hours. It is Handy for the torque specs. But nothing compares to a YouTube.

Good news ... no water inside the pump! How many hours on the ski since last rebuild?

What type of grease did you use? Did you clean out all the old grease first?

Make sure you ask the shop if they dynamically balanced the impeller after repair.

Since I bought the skis used I do not know how many hours on the pump since last rebuild. I know they have 116 and 118 hours now. I know the original pumps would have had oil, not grease. There was no water in the bearings. I did clean all grease out in my parts cleaner bin. Bearing spun cleanly with no play so I did not rebuild. I used BRP pump bearing grease.

The shop I use for impeller and prop rebuilds does a nice job...he's been in business for 30 years in the same location. Never heard anyone say anything bad about him. I am not going to question his professionalism. But I do know he balances his props.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back