Wear Ring issues??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatsink56

(2003 SeaDoo Utopia 185, 167 hours on it)

we finally got the boat out and it ran great all weekend, seemed a replaced fuel filter seem to fix fuel issue. any ways we did a lot of wake surfing had fun.. the boat seem to plain out at about 12 - 14 knots. would do 30 to 40 is pretty easy at that point. Here is the issue I ran in to. kids wanted to ride on the tube we got. it is a two person tube, so both kids got on.. about 210 lbs on it total. boat wouldn't do more than 10 knots and that was full throttle. so that didn't seem right to me, got the kids off and we put away the tube and went back to surfing. the more I thought about it, shouldn't my boat been able to pull the tube with both kids on it? do I have wear ring issue or is the optimax m2 200 not big enough (aka not enough horse power) to pull a two person tube? thanks in advance!

My 240 efi pulls 2 adults in our 2 person tube (about 450 lbs) with no problem. I don't think that 40 hp would be a huge difference. In other words, I think you should easily be able to tow 2 kids.

What rpm were you getting while surfing? What rpm while tubing?

Being down on power comes in 2 categories:
Down on engine power, or down on pump power.

Starting at the easiest- check the pump intake for FOD (foreign object debris). It does not take a large object.

Ignition: is engine firing on all 6? Get spark testers and check.

we finally got the boat out and it ran great all weekend, seemed a replaced fuel filter seem to fix fuel issue. any ways we did a lot of wake surfing had fun.. the boat seem to plain out at about 12 - 14 knots. would do 30 to 40 is pretty easy at that point. Here is the issue I ran in to. kids wanted to ride on the tube we got. it is a two person tube, so both kids got on.. about 210 lbs on it total. boat wouldn't do more than 10 knots and that was full throttle. so that didn't seem right to me, got the kids off and we put away the tube and went back to surfing. the more I thought about it, shouldn't my boat been able to pull the tube with both kids on it? do I have wear ring issue or is the optimax m2 200 not big enough (aka not enough horse power) to pull a two person tube? thanks in advance!
Yup

Thanks I will check RPM Sunday, I just had it at the shop and they tested everything and didn’t say anything about a miss fire cylinder, she runs smooth but who knows when the plugs and stuff was changed last, had plans on a tune up and have already been scoping out wear ring and high performance rotor blade for winter project. Boating season for surfing is about done here in oklahoma

Side note....does your utopia provide good surf or do you have a shaper?
It does pretty good, I have two 150 lbs ballast bags that I haven’t even used yet and I’m custom making a shapper .. but I had one person on back and one person on the ice chest in the center up front and we had waves good enough to surf on, but not a big wake but good enough for use novice surfers. I’ll see if I can remember some pics or I’ll post up a video of it

Ok so we just got back, going about 10 to 11 knots I was turning about 4200 rpm pulling a surfer keeping a wake going, now that being said after I plan out I can run 25 to 27 knots at the same RPM. ( wife got some pics I’ll post of the wakes when she sends them to me. Ballast bags worked great now I need to finish building my shapper .

Possible Damaged Jet pump stator and or wear ring, Worn Impeller. The clearance between the Impeller and wear ring is key to obtaining top efficiency when pulling.

Update....got to replace prop and wear ring, found a rope twisted inside the safe and its busted .. lesson learned on my part... when buying a jet boat,,, get under it and look in the grate

Attachments

• 944025FF-3A41-4974-9681-AD0D04228031.jpeg
    944025FF-3A41-4974-9681-AD0D04228031.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • 0BF001F5-7F56-4A22-8225-3827F297DFD5.jpeg
    0BF001F5-7F56-4A22-8225-3827F297DFD5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back