Wave Heights? NOAA Wave Forecasts and my 2003 Sportster 150 4-Tec 15' boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wantaspeedster

I brought my boat to Chicago this weekend with hopes of getting it on Lake Michigan. I know I have to pick and choose my days because of wave height on the lake so I'm trying to get a feel for the wave forecasts just to keep things safe. Today's NOAA report is as follows:

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING
REST OF TODAY
WEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SUNNY. WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.

1' I know I can deal with but 3' is sketchy. From what I can tell at the beach, it doesn't look like 3'. Maybe 3' rolling waves. We've been in pretty bad wind/boat chop on the Chain O' Lakes and the only way to deal with it is to keep the rpms up cuz as soon as you drop the nose a wave laps over and everyone's feet get wet. I know this boat is made to get wet. I just want to avoid an unsafe situation.

So finally, my question to anyone else who rides the same Sea Doo boat hull/size, where do you draw the line when it comes to wave heights? Or do you care. Anyone ride Lake Michigan?

btw, about my username, I got the boat I wanted. Confusing how they switch those names around isn't it. I'll prolly change it.

We have learned that 5-10 mph winds on our lake is fine. 10-20 is fine also, but leave the wakeboard home, and bring the dog, because we will be spending most of the time drinking beer on the beach.

Anything over 20 mph and we stay home and engage in other hobbies, such as hottubs, installing ceiling fans (did this today), or our favorite, just drinking beer:cheers:

Not sure how to put that in wave heights, but generally, if it says small craft advisory, they are trying to advise us with small craft of "something"...:reddevil:

Our waves get to about 3 foot when we get over 20 mph, so maybe that is a start.

I think it takes some experimenting at your boating locales to figure out what the wind and wave numbers mean for your boat and your personal comfort.

Anything over 20 mph and we stay home and engage in other hobbies, such as hottubs, installing ceiling fans (did this today), or our favorite, just drinking beer:cheers:

Sage advice my friend. I think I'm due for another beer right about now. The reason I brought the boat to Lake Michigan was cuz I just got a Ronix Arcade wakeboard and I'm anxious to try it out somewhere big and clear of any other boats. Unlike the Chain O' Lakes. I didn't even consider that the ride on the wakeboard is going to go much better if I wait for glass. That's cool. I'll drink in the meantime.
14633957-8fed17664b97a5dc4a5c2f620d65d8e1.4a480579-scaled.jpg

1 to 3 feet is sketchy for a 20 foot boat let alone a 15'. Calm to moderate chop is what you want for an enjoyable day.

Craig

The winds were pretty nasty today

I thought about going out today but took a pass...the winds were whipping around pretty good...I can't imagine what it will be like on Lake Michigan. :ack:

Personal days

Thanks for the info guys! I feel better about sitting this one out. You can bet I'll be watching those wind/wave forecasts and calling in to work sick pretty soon here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back