Water sitting in the engine 8 months

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedog

an old neighbor who I let use my ski (99 GTX Ltd) last Aug told me he flushed out the engine after he used it and disconnected the battery (nice guy) today I'm starting to get the skis ready for summer and find the it would not turn over (yes I charged the battery). I take out the spark plugs and hit the start button and water shoots out of both cyclinders. Holly crap!! So I pull the heads off and it's full of water, turns over now but full of water. fresh water not salt water....

My question is what to do? Drain the oil, new head gasket what else should I look for?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
How did he get water in the engine? Did the seadoo ever freeze in your neck of the woods? I would get all the water out of the cylinders first, I would put a couple Oz's of marvel mystery oil down the cylinders. Next, I would do a compression check first to see what damage is done inside the engine. There shouldn't be any water in the oil, it's a 2 stroke engine. If you not sure how to do a compression check come back and let me know, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Karl

Neighbor move so I can't asked him what happened:( did not freeze:) I got as much as the water out as possible with the head off, put on a new head gasket and did a compression test, 151 in one and 148 in the other cyclinder so I think that is good. I tried to start it up and it sputtered a few times but won't start it did blow even more water out the exhust. I did put in new plugs. Right now I'm charging the battery back up.

Typical compression should be 150 psi, so being 148 and 151 is real good. How did the walls of the cylinders look with the head off? Was it clean inside or rusty looking? If it was clean looking I would charge up the battery and give it a go to see what it does. Don't charge the battery in the boat attached to the boat cables, as it could surge the power to the battery and cause electrical problems. Keep us posted on the out come.

Karl

Color me a lucky duck,:hurray: let the battery charge, a little starting fluid and few puches of the button and it started up. turned it off, connected up the flush out kit and started it back up and ran it for about 3 or 4 minutes only a rough idle. Next it's off to the lake for a test and :cheers:

Thanks for the help

I'm glad you got it running...but don't use starting fluid...it causes more harm than good. If you must use wd-40. It has lubrication that will not harm the engine and a fuel that will fire it up to start it. If you have any more questions give us a shout...post some pics in the picture gallery.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back