Water leak from floor drain

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingbaron

I wonder if anyone have experienced water intake from the drain hole just aft of drivers right foot.

It's a speedster 2011 255hp.

It takes in a little bit, not to much. Disappears when driving. Still not nice having water on the floor. Why is water coming in the wrong way. In the output vent on the boat there is a hole with a ball inside.

Anyone? Thanks...

Anders

Check the check ball on the pump side of your boat. There's a scupper valve with a "float" that can get stuck or allow debris to prevent it from fully closing, therefore allowing water in.

Check the check ball on the pump side of your boat. There's a scupper valve with a "float" that can get stuck or allow debris to prevent it from fully closing, therefore allowing water in.
Even properly working, they still let water in. Won't sink the boat, but your floor gets wet.

Interesting. When my buddy's scupper in his 2012 Speedster is working fine, the boat stays dry. His must be special.
His is definitely special if he can put 4 adults in the boat and zero water comes through. Having owned one, not my buddy, I've been through replacing the scupper with new ones and it wasn't any better. The solution for me was a removable rubber plug under the driver.

Thanks for advice guys. I will check the valve to make sure there's no unnecessary leak.

What function does this drain really have when it's doing the opposite than what it's been made for? Would it maybe drain the boat if larger amounts of water came in?? Atleast water drains if I drive but sometimes comes back when I stop.

I was also thinking about plugging the hole while driving just to avoid the wet floor. Can't see that anything would happen by doing so..

Thanks for advice guys. I will check the valve to make sure there's no unnecessary leak.

What function does this drain really have when it's doing the opposite than what it's been made for? Would it maybe drain the boat if larger amounts of water came in?? Atleast water drains if I drive but sometimes comes back when I stop.

I was also thinking about plugging the hole while driving just to avoid the wet floor. Can't see that anything would happen by doing so..
Yep, these boats sit low and need a drain when water comes over the bow. Ever see the submarine move?! YouTube it. It's nice that it drains once moving but annoying sitting in the middle of the lake and water sloshing around. I did the plug for those times we were sitting and removed before moving.

His is definitely special if he can put 4 adults in the boat and zero water comes through. Having owned one, not my buddy, I've been through replacing the scupper with new ones and it wasn't any better. The solution for me was a removable rubber plug under the driver.

4 adults, no way to keep the cockpit dry in that low freeboard boat.

When the 2 of us would head out, the floor stayed dry so long as he drove it like a normal person. When he got all nuts or if the small boat was full of people and gear, the floor would definitely get wet.

I've seen small pieces of grass, shell or zip ties get lodged in the seal causing it to take on water as well.

It may have only been "a buddy's" boat, but I've spent enough time on his and other speedsters to know them fairly well. He did replace the check valve shortly after getting it in 2012 due to the original leaking.

lol- you guys crack me up!
if you dock your boat- you can't plug up the deck drain! if it rains and your drain is plugged, you'll wake up to a half sunk boat! even if you have an auto bilge pump (a lot of these boats don't), the only other way for the rain water to drain would be through your ski locker door in the deck (which has a pretty good seal around it so water doesn't really drain through too well) up here in nh, we'll often get 2 or 3 days solid rain, many inches of rain- that deck drain is the only thing keeping that boat afloat at the docks!
also- I don't understand how water can come up through that drain while moving- it's against the laws of physics! if your deck is getting wet while you're moving, it's leaking in around the hull seam, not up through the deck drain. with the boat on plane, that deck drain is over 1' above the water line, as the boat moves forward, the water is drawn out of the tube, there's zero positive pressure in that tube. it's impossible- even if you completely remove the ball valve, water can not come up that drain even loaded with 20 people!

lol- you guys crack me up!
if you dock your boat- you can't plug up the deck drain! if it rains and your drain is plugged, you'll wake up to a half sunk boat! even if you have an auto bilge pump (a lot of these boats don't), the only other way for the rain water to drain would be through your ski locker door in the deck (which has a pretty good seal around it so water doesn't really drain through too well) up here in nh, we'll often get 2 or 3 days solid rain, many inches of rain- that deck drain is the only thing keeping that boat afloat at the docks!
also- I don't understand how water can come up through that drain while moving- it's against the laws of physics! if your deck is getting wet while you're moving, it's leaking in around the hull seam, not up through the deck drain. with the boat on plane, that deck drain is over 1' above the water line, as the boat moves forward, the water is drawn out of the tube, there's zero positive pressure in that tube. it's impossible- even if you completely remove the ball valve, water can not come up that drain even loaded with 20 people!

Nobody has issues here with water coming through while underway, it's sitting still loaded with several people that water seeps through the scupper. As for the plug, you remove it when you start moving, and at the end of the day.

I put a new scupper on mine last summer, and barely get any water now. Old one didn't look too bad, but the rubber was getting a bit hard.

ohh man. now I'm chasing a water leak! :(
i replaced my carbon ring and seals while replacing the pump- i have about 1.5 - 2 gallons of water leaking in every 8-10 hours while docked- but under acceleration it's about a gallon every 25-30 minutes- and it's hot. i cant find the leak. I've tightened every hose clamp- i figure it's hot from just being in contact with the engine block. even with the engine running dock side i cant see where it coming in. what a pita!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back