Water in the hull for extended period

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone

Having a mini panic attack over what I just found, I’m hoping to get some sound advice here.

I just got two 1997 Seadoo rts earlier this year. Took them out once and it was great. I had them stored and covered but when I went to pull them out and start one I found water greater than 8” in the hull. They haven’t been touched in 3 weeks.

How bad is it? Is it going to be expensive to get them running again? I got them drained and have not tried starting them again.

Thanks in advance

Hey everyone

Having a mini panic attack over what I just found, I’m hoping to get some sound advice here.

I just got two 1997 Seadoo rts earlier this year. Took them out once and it was great. I had them stored and covered but when I went to pull them out and start one I found water greater than 8” in the hull. They haven’t been touched in 3 weeks.

How bad is it? Is it going to be expensive to get them running again? I got them drained and have not tried starting them again.

Thanks in advance
Do you think water got into the engine? If not, I don't think you'll have issues starting it. Just drain it, let it air out and dry and fire it up.

If you do think water may have gotten in the engine somehow, you should probably open the airbox and look in that to check for sign of water intrusion. Also pull the plugs if you're really concerned and check them for signs of water in the cylinders.

You can also ground the plugs, shut off the fuel, and try to turn it over to see if any water shoots out. But again, it doesn't sound like you would have an issue here.

I don't think you would have issues with only 8 inches of water. So long at it wasn't covering over the airbox, I think you'll be fine.

Do you think water got into the engine? If not, I don't think you'll have issues starting it. Just drain it, let it air out and dry and fire it up.

If you do think water may have gotten in the engine somehow, you should probably open the airbox and look in that to check for sign of water intrusion. Also pull the plugs if you're really concerned and check them for signs of water in the cylinders.

You can also ground the plugs, shut off the fuel, and try to turn it over to see if any water shoots out. But again, it doesn't sound like you would have an issue here.

I don't think you would have issues with only 8 inches of water. So long at it wasn't covering over the airbox, I think you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the plugs on both of them. One didn’t have water and the other did. I purged as much as I could from the one that had water. I let the plugs dry and got it started. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes with a water hookup. It idles rougher than usual.

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the plugs on both of them. One didn’t have water and the other did. I purged as much as I could from the one that had water. I let the plugs dry and got it started. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes with a water hookup. It idles rougher than usual.

Wow it had enough water to get into the engine? That was a good amount I guess. But these skis and boats are resilient.

Personally I don't ever run on the hose for even 1 minute. I give it about 30 - 40 seconds on the hose then kill the water then shut it down a few seconds after I kill the water. To me, that should be more than enough time to flush the entire engine and will avoid potential of overheating parts that need to be in water to cool. My boat is only fresh water, salt water use may need more time to flush.

Do you have a carbon seal or the carrier bearing? If you have the carbon seal I'd run that out of water with a soapy solution or constant water pouring on it to keep it cool. Too long and it'll fracture because it's not being cooled. Just a note, but you're probably already aware of this.

Well, since you have it running that's great news! Take it to the water and let it sit idling for a bit. Punch the throttle a few times to see how responsive it is. If it has hesitation and wants to bog out shut it off and check the plugs. The plugs should both look chocolate brown in color. If they're more on the tan / white side you may need to clean the carbs because this is an indication of a lean condition where it's not getting enough fuel.

I doubt this happened, but if the water was high enough to get into the airbox and down through the carbs, water could have infiltrated the fuel orifices in the carbs and clogged them. Carb rebuilds are easy though so don't panic if that's the case. Just get genuine Mukini kits if you have to do a rebuild. The other kits are trash and could cause all sorts of issues.

If the throttle is responsive, take it for a spin and see how it does! It may clear up and run just like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back