Water in the cylinders? Anyone else and what what’s the fix?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowie joe

I have a 2001 islandia with the gen 1 Mercury 240 efi motor. I bought it on eBay and it was supposed to run great. Took it out to the water and it would not get up on a plane and didn’t get high rpms. Put it on the hose at home and it was shooting out grey sludge from the exhaust pipes. Took the plugs out and water was in the cylinders. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? Should I buy a new engine or try to fix the one I have. Any help, advice is very appreciated!
Thanks
Joe from lake allatoona ga

I have a 2001 islandia with the gen 1 Mercury 240 efi motor. I bought it on eBay and it was supposed to run great. Took it out to the water and it would not get up on a plane and didn’t get high rpms. Put it on the hose at home and it was shooting out grey sludge from the exhaust pipes. Took the plugs out and water was in the cylinders. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? Should I buy a new engine or try to fix the one I have. Any help, advice is very appreciated!
Thanks
Joe from lake allatoona ga

I can’t answer your question but eBay does have seller protection for you.
How recently did you purchase it?

He talked me out of buying it through eBay. I’m the idiot. I’m stuck with it. I just want to get it running.

He talked me out of buying it through eBay. I’m the idiot. I’m stuck with it. I just want to get it running.

I'm really sorry about that... but I did chuckle when I read it. (early and not enough coffee) I felt bad after... but at least you owned up to it.

OK.... The Merc engines don't normally have issues with running the water regardless of if the engine is running or not. But... was the engine running while the water was on? Also, where exactly is the hose water tapped into? (a picture would be great)

Regardless... take a step back, and we will get through this.

Yeah. The water was running while the engine was also running. I think the bottom cylinders weren’t firing and that was the sludge coming out

Hey Don’t feel bad.... I have all 6 cylinders filled with water. Pulled the top plugs and water came pouring out. We pulled all of the plugs, pulled the safety switch and cranked it over until no water was coming out. Filled each spark plug hole with 2 cycle oil and the next morning we fired it up and that’s been a year ago. Somehow during that process I got a broken reed of which was just repaired. Dr Honda won’t Steer you wrong!

September... I forgot about your water issue. I'm guessing that's how your reed housing got broke. (Hydraulic pressure from the water)

Snowie... the main thing is to get some heat in that engine. Clear it out, and get it started. (Extra oil in the cyls is needed)

I’m just curious what the fix is going to be for the engine. Should I just buy a new one on eBay for 4,000+? Or is this a relatively easy fix? How is the water getting into the cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back