Water in stator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shep

Hello guys!

Dr Honda, might be your area, but if anyone else knows....

Last spring I was changing the gear and stator oil before storage. When I went to change the stator oil, I was going to do it simply be removing the fill and drain plugs, sucking out the old and replacing with new. Upon getting a fluid pump and starting to remove what was inside, it was only water…no oil…
I removed the stator housing, replaced the seal in the stator, put everything back together and filled it back up with premium gear lube.
Before heading out this year, I thought I should ask, is this something that I should be concerned about? I have no idea why there was no gear oil in the stator. It looked like someone serviced it previously and used contact cement around the seal. I had to pry away at it to get the old one off.
Just thought I should ask before it comes out this year.
Thanks guys

Water in the bearing housing is bad, and will start to corrode the bearings. BUT... since you had it off, and got a good look.... as long as the bearings were still good... you should be fine.

But.... on a sportjet, you should have used the high performance gear lube... NOT the Premium. The premium can't take the RPM's.

Thanks Dr Honda. I apologize it was actually the High perf lube that I used, ( just checked the basement ). Any idea why it would have been full of water? should I be concerned about it? Thanks again!

The only way water can get in the stator is the front seal, or the threaded plugs. (or there's a big crack)

Since you put a new seal in it... and I assume you sealed the plugs... and I assume that you haven't found a puddle of oil under the pump.... I'd say you are ok.

Great, thanks again Doc, appreciated. Will keep an eye on it this season. Hopefully will get it out of storage next weekend! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back