Water in Hull - 96 GTi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

arc323

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your help with my water in the hull issue. I checked the carbone ring and the boot. It needs to be replaced but it's really not that bad. Anyway, I got off work early yesterday and took it out to really pin down the issue. I noticed that the bilge pumps were not siphoning correctly. Also up by the battery there is a clear tube that is just there. The carbone ring and boot did not appear to be leaking water. Im thinking that it's a combo of the pumps not functioning properly and maybe water is coming in through the grates on the back where it is supposed to pee. I am probably going to put in an aftermarket bilge pump.
Questions:

Do i connect the aftermarket pump directly to my battery? If i did that would i mount an on/off switch or use a float switch.

Will this have an adverse effect on my battery?

Should I leave the old black siphon system in if I add an aftermarket pump or just remove them? I may get new ones from ebay.

Overall it is a great ski. Lots of fun. When I was looking to buy one I went to the dealership and the guy there said not to get an old two stroke due to issues. I told him part of the reason for buying an older one was to have a project and learn something new. I actually have fun working and troubleshooting. Thanks for all your help. I've learned so much from this forum.

Yes. You can go directly to the battery with the pump. BUT... you want a switch on it to keep it from draining the bat.

I would leave the stock bailers in the hull. They will help.

On that thought... look inside the pump nozzle. You should see 2 hoses hanging down from the top. If you don't, and one or both fell out... you can actually pump water into the via the bailers.

http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12056&d=1336698215&thumb=1&stc=1

this link is a pic of the area right behind where the clear lines are hanging. is there a piece that is supposed to be there?

also there is a line running from the back of the ski up to where my battery is. it is only attached on one end (rear) it looks like my battery box has a little clip for it but IDK??

If what is in the pic is missing a piece then everything is explained. Thanks for your answers. They help a lot. :)
http://www.seadooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12057&d=1336698542&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• js1.jpg
    js1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 2
js2.jpgjs1.jpg

the first pic is the tubes that you said are supposed to be hanging that provide suction for the bailers while riding.
the second pic is the area directly behind those. I never noticed that before it looks like there may be something missing. possibly a cap or seal of some type.
My theory is that while riding and slowing down water rushes in through the grates in the back. if there was a cover for this maybe no water would get in. I dont know though.
All clear tubes are attached except for one that runs from the back of the ski to up by the battery. there is a clip on the battery holder for this tube. not sure what it's for.

BTW, I was just out in the garage and replaced the spark plugs and it fired up with one push of the button. and idled better too. The old plugs still worked but when I took the out they were black. Is that bad or normal? Thanks for the answers. Love the forum.

The extra hose is the battery vent. If you have a "Wet" battery... that hose should be hooked to it.

You need to look in the nozzle of the jet pump to see the hoses (tubes) that are hanging down.

Last edited by a moderator:
what did you think of my theory of water rushing in the grates that the pee comes out of? Also the pic on the right is right under the rear handle. (I had to turn my phone upside down to take the pic) Could water rush in the grates and come out through there. Like if you go fast and then let off the gas real fast?
Yes both tubes are hanging down. Not too much but both visible.

Yeah, I think I pretty much have it nailed down. Water is coming in through the rear grates. I'm going to pinpoint the exact area that it's coming in and fix it, then put a bilge pump in.
The ski is in great shape mechanically. I paid $860.00 for the ski and the trailer. Then I took it to the mechanic and paid him $400 to replace the wear ring, change out the gray lines, and clean my carbs. So I have about $1300 in it so far. Not bad in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back