Water in gas tank and fuel lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNFLAGG

Hi all, first time here, so I'm a newbie with a problem of course, I have a 1996 Seadoo Challenger with the 787 rotax 2 stroke motor .I have had the boat for about a year, I am handy with tools and motors ,I rebuild old Triumph and BSA motors and bikes....On the other hand.2 stroke motors and their systems I have no clue....To make this short and sweet...I loaned the boat to a friend to use while they where here in Florida visiting....That was a mistake!!!...On loaning him the boat I instructed him to flush the motor after each use...IE.....Start motor,turn on water--turn off water,stop motor...I showed him the connection on the stern and the connection on the starboard side,under the motor compartment lid!! Would'nt you know it, he didn't pay attention,he calls me up and tells me he also flushed water thur a little screened opening on the starboard side of the hull!! He removed the black cap and held the hose up to the opening..He thinks he put at least a gallon of water through it...So that leaves me with water in the tank and possible in the fuel lines...My fuel lines no longer have a separator....But I do have a large clear in line fuel filter...I don't see any fuel/water separation in that yet...With a motorcycle I would know what to do...Can anyone give me some advice for pumping out the tank and making sure water is not in the fuel lines?thanks....Also afer posting.I just realized I posted this in the 2 stroke pwc forum and not the jet boat forum...sorry I don't know how to move this to that forum

Last edited:
You need to drain the tank and get all the water out. You then need to blow out the fuel lines.

This is why I discourage people from removing the stock water seperators, no watercraft should be without one.

If you got water into the carbs they need to come apart because the water will plug the jets and not pass through.

Thank you for your reply.....so far i have replaced and blew out gas lines...prior owner removed water seperator,I found that in the bottom of the bilge,I'm going to reinstall/replace that along with a inline filter,I did see a small amount of water in the inline fuel filter,I dont know if it got as far as the carbs..I'm planning on draining the tank tomorrow..would it be feasable that since water is heavier than gas...to tilt the boat over on the trailer by removing a wheel from the trailer and let the water in the tank settle to the bottom on the starboard side,and pump out the tank until i see that im getting straight gas with no water settling in my containers...?just a thought...i have about 20 some gallons of gas in it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back