Water in engine help!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashmoney

I recently purchased a 98 GXTL. When I bought it the owner said he previously had it out in the begining of the year and when he went to sell it, it wouldn't start. So after buying it I removed the plugs and water shot out with oil so I completely emptied all the water out and removed the water/oil from the crankcase. I added new oil and cleaned the plugs reassembled and it started right up. After starting it and shutting it off I figured I was good to go. Attached the hose to the rear started right up but then Stallled and I figured it was still getting rid of some of the water started again then stalled cut the water immediately removed the plugs and water was shooting out again same in the crank case removed al water again and added oil to the crank and cylinders to prevent from rusting and seizing. What do you think it is ? Head gasket or something or is ther maybe a tube crossed? Please help. This is my first PWC but I am mechanically so if I he to tear down let me know what you's think. Thank you

When running on the hose, it goes, Engine on, water in, water off, engine off. Is the sequence you used.?

The oil in the engine is normal if is sits for a long period. The crank seal goes bad and allows the oil to seep pat the seal and fill the crank area. When you turn the engine over, it then sucks the oil into the cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome to the Seadoo forum.

If water stays in the engine for more than 24 hours the engine is usually toast. If you had come on the forum before purchasing the ski most of the guys would have told you don't do it. As Kevin said the oil sometimes is to be expected but not the water. I'm afraid you're looking at a total rebuild.

Lou

Agreed... If that engine sat over a day or two max, it's shot. A 98 XP, blown engine, with trailer, I'd pay maybe $600-700.

You can try to clear the water and do a compression test, but... I have a feeling it's gotta come out.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Get it running and get it on the water is the only true test.

Yea I definitely used the sequence. Engine on water on, engine off water off. The one thing I did notice was the exhaust gasket was pretty shitty looking. Would that gasket also cause water to get in the engine?! It must haven't been sitting that long when I bought it because I removed all the water as soon as i got it and it wasn't all rusty soon as it was all cleared out started right up and ran excellent. What hose goes where if they where switched?
It's a 98 GTXL and I paid under $600 so I'm doing good then even if I need a rebuild. Any other suggestions.

You don't have the sequence right, turn off the water before you turn the engine off, probably why you injested water the second time. Have you run the Seadoo at the lake or only on the hose? There's a big difference, most problems won't show up until you run the ski in the water.

Lou

I didn't mean to when I stalled out I was a little slow at the turn off part. I need to make a extension piece with a on off vavle on the extension piece but that's down the road. No I haven't. I got it running. Didn't want it to get hot while running with out water so I would turn it on let run for a min then off and repeated that several times over the whole day. I was actually gonna take it figured I would hook the hose up first.

yes, it would. the 98-00 951 used a paper gasket between the exhaust manifold and the top of the black pipe. When it fails, water leaks and gets sucked into the carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back