Water in block and drain leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ondagaskiknass

So i bought a 1997 Seadoo challenger on Sunday and it is my first boat ever... Hurrayy!!!!! When i got there the guy connected the hose and started it up and it ran just fine.

I took it out yesterday and the boat was very boggy and within a minute of putting it in the water, water was leaking into the boat from the drain underneath the drivers seat. After some research it sounds like i need a new Scupper. Just ordered one and fingers crossed that's fixed.

I decided to start the boat and verify it started and it did but would cut out as soon as I tried upping the RPS's and it was boggy while in lower RPM's. After i got the boat home I noticed there was no cover over the flush connector. Should there be? Water would flow in just like a hose if there isn't correct?

Either way, If i flooded the block or the person i bought it from did, i took out the plugs and turned over the engine. I got out as much water as i could. I used Carb Cleaner in the valves to help dry it out. I did put some WD-40 in the valves as well hoping to stop any rusting that might occur overnight. I did not have a hose at my house yesterday and very limited resources so I'm going to stop on my way home today and pick up some stuff.

Overall Questions:
Is there anything else i should check with the drain?
Do i need to have the flush hole plugged when taking the boat out on the water? As far as i can see, the only 2 holes i need to plug were the 2 drain plugs.
Any suggestions of anything else i should be doing to help get water out of the engine?

Thank you for any help! It is much appreciated!

The flush connector is the outlet for the cooling water when not flushing so never plug that line while running the boat. It sounds like you have a leak some where in the engine compartment. There would have to be ALOT of water in there to get it over the carbs an into the motor. If you back the trailer into the water and leave the boat on it you should be able to find the leak with out sinking your new boat. The only way to get all the water out of the motor is to get it running and get it hot, and that needs to happen quickly. So get it it to fire and find your leak and go from there. If you have a leak bad enough to flood the engine compartment in just a few min I would not take it off the trailer so you dont sink it.

I would recommend that anyone buying a boat should put it in the water and test it for about 30 minutes. If everything checks out OK, and it runs perfectly, then you can buy it (after performing a compression test). So if its good to go mechanically, cross check the VIN to verify the paperwork matches the boat. After you buy it, download the owners manual and read it cover to cover before attempting to start the boat. Boats require very specific care, or they will be a paperweight, or an anchor. Its kinda like buying a horse. You would make sure it can walk before buying it, and you would not feed it hamburgers. Test it, buy it, care for it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back