Water in 2009 180 challenger 215 engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwells587

Gents and ladies

My 180 has water in the engine first I thought it was the battery like I’ve been reading else where in this forum. Changed the battery still nothing brought it to a dealer they gave me 3 options 1. Change oil and and plugs and see. (That didn’t work) 2. Remove the exhaust to get the water out of it (1500). 3. New engine 3700 and 1 year warranty. The first 2 no warranty or guarantee of the engine starting. I got them to do 1. didn’t work. I brought home the boat removed the plugs and water was still in it, turned liver the engine till the water was out. Add a cap of oil in 3 cylinders,turned it over added new plugs. Got it to turn over a couple times then nothing again only a click going to go back out today and remove the plugs again and check the water level. Is there another way to remove the water besides removing plugs and expelling the water though the plug holes??

You need to drain any water out of the exhaust, that’s the first step. Remove it and drain the water out of it.

Also how long do you think the water has been in the engine. Service manual says any longer than a few hours the engine needs to be overhauled.

I gotten it started now had to remove the plugs remove the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it over to remove the water. Reinstalled the plugs and fuse for the fuel pump. Tried starting crank over for a second then nothing repeated the process a few times till water stopped appearing in the cylinders added oil and cranked it over the lube the cylinders. Then I had to install and remove the plugs a couple times because of water on the plugs .I need to change the oil now as it is looks milky. The water was in approx a week but so far so good after the oil change I’ll update the progress

Last edited:
Removed the oil, looks like Chocolate milk, searching now for oil and filters. Will one oil change be enough??

Got 1 oil change done and went for a small run on the lake currently looking for more oil to do another change . no Sea-Doo oil at my local dealer or the next town over either ‍♂️

Got 1 oil change done and went for a small run on the lake currently looking for more oil to do another change . no Sea-Doo oil at my local dealer or the next town over either ‍♂️

Just get the same viscosity in a dinosaur oil and don't worry about it for now. You're just going to dump it out after a quick run. No need to waste money on Sea Doo branded oil or synthetics at this point...at least no until you plan to leave it in for a while.

Just get the same viscosity in a dinosaur oil and don't worry about it for now. You're just going to dump it out after a quick run. No need to waste money on Sea Doo branded oil or synthetics at this point...at least no until you plan to leave it in for a while.

Bahahahahahaha noted ‍♂️

EXACTLY. I'd even use BRAKLEEN to flush the filter and re-install.

My 215 service manual references a boil out procedure after the oil change. Anybody ever done that instead of changing oil 5 times?

I’m on a total of 3 oil changes currently including the 1 they did at the dealership and couldn’t get t to start.. cough cough.. took it out today after the 2nd home oil change worked great no problems. Checked the oil not milky at all colour looks great. Will let it sit again till tomorrow and try to skim the from the bottom again like today. Gents/ ladies my experience with this issue is why you don’t always take the advice of the service station when u have no warranty. They wanted me to change the engine and pay 4 grand for it ‍♂️.. FYI the water was in the motor for 2 weeks

I’m on a total of 3 oil changes currently including the 1 they did at the dealership and couldn’t get t to start.. cough cough.. took it out today after the 2nd home oil change worked great no problems. Checked the oil not milky at all colour looks great. Will let it sit again till tomorrow and try to skim the from the bottom again like today. Gents/ ladies my experience with this issue is why you don’t always take the advice of the service station when u have no warranty. They wanted me to change the engine and pay 4 grand for it ‍♂️.. FYI the water was in the motor for 2 weeks

The service station / dealer is just following what it says in the shop/service manual. If the manual says to overhaul the engine because water has sat in the engine he’s going to tell you it needs to be overhauled. The manual also says to disassemble the supercharger and change all the bearings. All sorts of liability issues for them if they don’t follow the manual and then something bad happens like your engine craps out in the middle of no where. Granted BRP and the dealers are always going to lean on the safe side of things and hopefully your engine did not sustain any damage from the water sitting in it for two weeks.

Usually it takes 3~4 oil changes to flush out the water, from my experience. My concerns are how did the water enter (this must be fixed) and was it salt water (never a good thing)?

The standard marine approach if the engine cannot be recovered in the 1st 12 or so hours is to pickle the engine by filling it full of diesel fuel.

Don't worry about using Seadoo oil until the milk is gone for last oil change, run it easy not hard till this is cleared up, just get it done.

Your motor will probably be just fine once it's got good clear oil of the right type take it out and run it for at least an hour at cruising speed. Salt is more of a wild card b/c it's so corrosive damage might take months to appear.

Last edited:
FYI the water was in the motor for 2 weeks

This is the part that would worry me the most.

At this point, I'd see what happens by flushing the motor and just continuing to use it. It's either gonna work or have a catastrophic failure. Either way the end result is the same.......a new motor.

In one of your previous posts you mention water still being in the motor after the shop changed the oil and plugs. Was the water on top of the pistons? If so, you more than likely have a leak in your exhaust manifold.

The service station / dealer is just following what it says in the shop/service manual. If the manual says to overhaul the engine because water has sat in the engine he’s going to tell you it needs to be overhauled. The manual also says to disassemble the supercharger and change all the bearings. All sorts of liability issues for them if they don’t follow the manual and then something bad happens like your engine craps out in the middle of no where. Granted BRP and the dealers are always going to lean on the safe side of things and hopefully your engine did not sustain any damage from the water sitting in it for two weeks.

There was no warranty work as we were talking I knew that nothing was guaranteeI. But they didn’t even get the water out of the cylinders they changed the oil twice and wanted to charge me 1500 to remove the exhaust to remove the water. That’s all I’m saying sometimes we need to go to these site and ask other people’s opinions or google..lol

But they didn’t even get the water out of the cylinders

This baffles me.

How much water was in the cylinders? There's only so much room before the motor becomes hydrolocked as water isn't compressible. The motor must be turned over during the oil change procedure numerous times. Either there is very little water in the cylinders or the water is leaking in after the motor sits which would be indicative of a manifold leak.

This baffles me.

How much water was in the cylinders? There's only so much room before the motor becomes hydrolocked as water isn't compressible. The motor must be turned over during the oil change procedure numerous times. Either there is very little water in the cylinders or the water is leaking in after the motor sits which would be indicative of a manifold leak.

It would not turn over it was as u said hydro locked I had to remove the plugs to and remove the fuel pump fuse. Then I cranked the engine till the water was almost non existent then put a cap of oil in each cylinder. Cranked it a few times dried and reinstalled the plugs and fuse had to repeat this process approx 3 times before I got the boat to start

You should inspect your exhaust manifold. Water on top of cylinders can only get in so many ways. Either water ingestion or leaky manifold.

I'm assuming your coolant levels are fine?

Yep, water in the cylinders always makes it's way into the crankcase oil. And most cases of water in the cylinder I see are a result of a cracked exhaust manifold from winter freezing / poor winterization technique, Sometimes a cracked head or head gasket are responsible, or maybe the boat sank (can even sink on the trailer if drain plug isn't removed or gets clogged.

In salt, I give most exhaust manifolds a 5yr average lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back