Water getting inside cone

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So water got into my cone on my jet pump. No problem, replaced it (new jet pump & cone). Water gets in AGAIN! It sounds like waters getting in somewhere else and not through the cone. Is there to much play in the impeller shaft for the impeller? What am I doing wrong? Am I not getting the impeller tight enough? Thanks guys!

Since your jet pump and cone are new I think you should use the sealant called for in your service manual on the cone when you put in on (probably loctite 518). You might want to also put some silicon lube on the o-ring and be careful that it does not move out of its groove when you put the cone on. Install and tighten the 3 bolts to spec (use blue loctite), fill with pump oil and pressure check the jet pump per the manual. If the pressure holds, then install the fill cap with the sealant called out in the manual (probably loctite PST 592). If it does not hold pressure, you can check for leaks with soapy water around the cone. I think the only other place to leak would be the seal on the driveshaft side of the pump, but since you pump is new that should be new also. The manual will also have specs for play on the impeller driveshaft and torque for impeller install. Personally, I would not use very much red loctite on the impeller. It only makes it more difficult to remove.

Since your jet pump and cone are new I think you should use the sealant called for in your service manual on the cone when you put in on (probably loctite 518). You might want to also put some silicon lube on the o-ring and be careful that it does not move out of its groove when you put the cone on. Install and tighten the 3 bolts to spec (use blue loctite), fill with pump oil and pressure check the jet pump per the manual. If the pressure holds, then install the fill cap with the sealant called out in the manual (probably loctite PST 592). If it does not hold pressure, you can check for leaks with soapy water around the cone. I think the only other place to leak would be the seal on the driveshaft side of the pump, but since you pump is new that should be new also. The manual will also have specs for play on the impeller driveshaft and torque for impeller install. Personally, I would not use very much red loctite on the impeller. It only makes it more difficult to remove.
Impeller shaft had some wiggle in it & move up and down a little. Does that mean I didn’t tighten it enough? I’m just wondering how much wiggle it should have? Thanks

No, the impeller and shaft will move a little in and out.

There are only 3 places for it to leak:
1. The impeller shaft seal.
2. The fill plug that gets Loctite 518.
3. The cap o-ring that also gets Loctite 518.

Is the pump new or "new to you?" If the pump is new it has new bearings and seals which should eliminate most every problem with the pump. Your shaft will have noticeable visual wear if it is bad. The shaft can move around a little bit but not much.. If you have a leak and are not putting loctite on the end of the cone and one the o-rings you need to do that. The repair manual tells exactly how to do it. I've never pressure tested any of the pumps I put together but that might be something you need to do. Good Luck !

Is the pump new or "new to you?" If the pump is new it has new bearings and seals which should eliminate most every problem with the pump. Your shaft will have noticeable visual wear if it is bad. The shaft can more around a little bit but not much.. If you have a leak and are not putting loctite on the end of the cone and one the o-rings you need to do that. The repair manual tells exactly how to do it. I've never pressure tested any of the pumps I put together but that might be something you need to do. Good Luck !
It’s brand new, that’s why I’m upset water keeps leaking because those things aren’t cheap lol. My shaft looks fine and doesn’t look like it’s got any marks or anything like that. I’ll try the loctite on everything!

No, the impeller and shaft will move a little in and out.

There are only 3 places for it to leak:
1. The impeller shaft seal.
2. The fill plug that gets Loctite 518.
3. The cap o-ring that also gets Loctite 518.
When you say impeller shaft seal, is there supposed to be a seal on the impeller shaft itself??

He is referring to the pump shaft. Installing the impeller will have no effect on a leaking pump.

Since you have a new pump you are using the old shaft correct? The shaft should not move up and down more than a couple thousandths of an inch. Those bearings are rollers beargins so they are not tight on the shaft and can't be if they are to work. Is it possible your pump shaft or bearings do not match one another?

I put a good amount of Loctite 518 on that cone and on the orings. With the trouble you are having, I'd definitely rig a testor up. Impeller need not be installed and you'll be better able to see possible leak paths. You could have a leak around the outside of the pump seal if it was not installed correctly. Good Luck !!

He is referring to the pump shaft. Installing the impeller will have no effect on a leaking pump.

Since you have a new pump you are using the old shaft correct? The shaft should not move up and down more than a couple thousandths of an inch. Those bearings are rollers beargins so they are not tight on the shaft and can't be if they are to work. Is it possible your pump shaft or bearings do not match one another?

I put a good amount of Loctite 518 on that cone and on the orings. With the trouble you are having, I'd definitely rig a testor up. Impeller need not be installed and you'll be better able to see possible leak paths. You could have a leak around the outside of the pump seal if it was not installed correctly. Good Luck !!
I have not replaced the pump shaft but I was asking if there was supposed to be a seal on the pump shaft? Or is there a seal in the pump that does that? Sorry I’m trying to make sense here. But that shaft is definitely moving probably an inch or so up and down. But when you say outside pump seal, is that the seal that goes around the hole that the pump goes up against? Thank you so much man. I really appreciate the help. This ski is almost done & nobody around me works on 2 strokes anymore so doing all this myself with no previous experience or someone to call sucks!

This is the only seal on the pump and it is under the impeller and the pump shaft goes inside it.
images.jpg

There is no possible way for the pump shaft to move an inch with the impeller on it.

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?

Are you maybe talking about the driveshaft?

This is the only seal on the pump and it is under the impeller and the shaft goes inside it.
View attachment 58264

There is no possible way for the pump shaft to move an inch with the impeller on it.

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?
Oh ok! I see now. Yeah the shaft still moves with the impeller on so should I look at replacing the shaft? I appreciate you!

With the amount of movement you are experiencing sounds to me like there are no bearings or seal mounted in the pump. Here is a short video of me talking about the jet pump, seal, and shaft. Hope this helps.

JET PUMP Video.

If there is up and down movement of the shaft or if you can install the impeller and move it to hit the wear ring bearings AR bad or not there.if you bought a new pump you probably forgot the last k for kit.and they shipped it with no guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back