water coming from head bolt - why

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming out from under the head bolt? or from the mating surface? Unfortunatly, unless the bolt is loose, you gotta pull the head and investigate. There could be a stress crack. Was it ever overheated or left outside in freezing temperatures?

While the engine is running and I rev it, I can see water seeping out between the head and the bolt. I had this happen once before on another bolt. I'm not sure if it's just loose, or if there is not supposed to be water there... in other words, if you were to take all the bolts out, start it up, and rev, would water come spewing out all over the place in a normal 2-cycle Rotax engine? I mean, it's water cooled, but is there water under those bolts? Do I just need to tighten it, or if there's water there, does that mean the head is cracked somewhere?

No it's never been left outside since I've had it. It's '96 and I've had it for like 8 years myself, always garaged, always winterized. And just started having this problem last year with another of the bolts, which I tried to tighten and snapped off (the head of the bolt). Got it out, replaced, and thought all was well, until this year when water seeping from another bolt.

Well there's tightening a bolt, then snapping a bolt... You don't need to be a barbarian to work on skis haha. I have a good feel for torque, but from finger tight, it shouldn't be more than 1/3 of a turn. If you can't just snug up the bolt, something is wrong. Pop the head off and take a look. To answer your question. Yes there is water in the top of the engine. The actual top of the head is just a cover. The head is one giant water passage to cool the top end.. You may also have a bad O-ring thats letting water up the threads of the bolt.

My advice, if the bolt isn't noticeably loose, pop the head off and take a look. May cost you an O-ring or two, but its better to fix it right the first time.

In the automotive world it is common for head bolts to thread into the water jacket area. Those bolts require putting a coating on the bolt prior to installing and torquing them down.

I do not know if this is the case with Seadoo engines. But it would be worth while to look in a manual to confirm things.

Ha ha, I wouldn't say that I'm being a barbarian about it. :) Good one though. I think it was super stressed over the years. There was lots of hard water deposits built up... I also think this boat was originally a salt-water boat originally. I had to have a new trailer put together... the original one rusted so bad I think the boat would have hit the pavement.

Back to the subject at hand though, I was looking at the parts finder (http://www.seadoopartshouse.net/oem...870021b3c6a8072/cylinder-and-exhaust-manifold) and are you thinking it would be o-ring number 5 or o-ring number 8? It also looks like 6 is an o-ring?

Part # 8 Gotta pull it appart. Once you start removing the bolts, be careful. If waters been in there, they will be a B**ch to get out. Sometimes a 1/8 turn out, 1/8 turn back, wiggle them loose. You will know right away if that seal is bad. You'll see marks on the o-ring where it wasn't seating properly and letting water in.

Loctite

Part # 8 Gotta pull it appart. Once you start removing the bolts, be careful. If waters been in there, they will be a B**ch to get out. Sometimes a 1/8 turn out, 1/8 turn back, wiggle them loose. You will know right away if that seal is bad. You'll see marks on the o-ring where it wasn't seating properly and letting water in.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
water coming out fixed with silicone value sealant

Well, I unscrewed the headbolt leaking and "drenched" it in a silicone value sealant (like Molykote 111) and screwed it back in with a bit of Loctite (medium strength) on the threads about 1/2 inch up from the bottom. This fixed the problem.

During the "water test," I noted that the same thing was happening on another bolt, in the same engine. So I repeated the process. I have not had a chance to water test this again yet, but I wonder... is there any routine "sealing" for head bolts on these Bombardier Rotax 2-cycle engines? Both bolts were dry as a bone when I unscrewed them. Keep in mind this is a 1996 Sea Doo Speedster, so it has some hours on it. Original hours (before me) are believed to have been in salt water, though I do not know this for a fact.

If the problem persists, I will take them all out and see if the O-ring is an issue. I just didn't want to ruin it if it was just sealing the bolts (which was suggested to me by a Sea Doo dealer).

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back