Water coming back in the boat. 97 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo-soto

My buddy bought a 97 Challenger and when he hits the lake, water channels its way back into the deck through the drain hole right underneath the driver's seat. Is this normal?

yeah, but might have bad supper valve. Get new one/upgrade from west-marine/any marine place, looks like a V-shaped plastic thing, with ping-pong ball incorporated in it. Or, go to home-depot, and install a "ball-valve" inline. Look inside engine bay to starboard side, you'll see 2/2-1/2 white accordian hose, install ball-valve on it..

or you can do what i did and go to home depot/lows and get a $2 rubber stopper to fit in there and just keep it in most of the time and then if you get water in the boat just reach down and undo while moving and it all drains out:cheers:
16.jpg

These boats were designed to get splashed in the cockpit. The scupper is a neat feature in the design. Just replace it, and move on. If your safety lanyard keeps falling off the post, are you gonna use duct tape to hold it on? If the hose fails also like the scooper it will allow water into your hull and possibly sink. Good chance if the end rotted and fell off it's leaking water inside you'll never notice, till it's too late. That's why the scupper is at the end and not inside the boat somewhere. So it stops water before it can go inside.

Karl

These boats were designed to get splashed in the cockpit. The scupper is a neat feature in the design. Just replace it, and move on. If your safety lanyard keeps falling off the post, are you gonna use duct tape to hold it on? If the hose fails also like the scooper it will allow water into your hull and possibly sink. Good chance if the end rotted and fell off it's leaking water inside you'll never notice, till it's too late. That's why the scupper is at the end and not inside the boat somewhere. So it stops water before it can go inside.

Karl

my scupper valve was in perfect working order; i check it; the ball was not dirty and freely moved up and down; and there was not cracks or stress marks in any of the plastic and i still had water comming back into the boat through there that is why i used the rubber stopper

my scupper valve was in perfect working order

I would have to disagree because if it was in perfect working order than there wouldn't be any water comming into the boat. I don't get any water at all comming in through mine.

I installed a brand new ball type scupper valve before this season, and on the first trip out we still had water in the boat. I also went to home depot and bought a plug, no big deal, works just fine.

Can someone link new scupper valve.
Also, the previous owner installed a deepfinder on the boat and ran the wires through the scupper passage so I think that might be my problem, any suggestions or ideas >?
Not trying to highjack

I have a sounder with a transducer epoxied to the hull of my 200 speedster. If you want it outside you will need to drill a hole above the water line to get it to the outside of the transom, and caulk it so it won't leak. That's why I epoxied mine to the inside bottom hull. Go to the parts link at the top of the page and click on your boat model for the correct part. It will also give you a breakdown of the order of parts in the scupper. If it is working properly It will not leak any water. Plugging the hose inside by the cockpit won't keep water out of the hull if it leaks around the hose in the end of the scupper. Clean the opening real good and be sure when you tightened it, you didn't warp the outer flange.

Karl

Here is a picture of it mounted. Sorry, only 5 am here, and still dark outside, and picture turned out crappy. But you can get the gist of it...

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back