VTS Housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sepool

Planning to do some spring upgrades to my 96 SPX and wondering if anyone has repaired/replaced VTS Housing. If what is inside the box on the back of the VTS Housing is bad, can it be repaired. Looks like it is a sealed unit with no access. Is there anyone with experience repairing this unit?

I have no experience in repairing. I would like to find a way to un-pot the pottig and try to fix them as there are so many that have been thrown away. Theres the ‘trim-fix’ i dont have any experience with that though. I have found that if u keep a good vts boot on them and put silicone around the edges of unit where the potting is that they will last for quite some time.

If your motor is good you can try a guy that sells a kit called "Trim Fix".

They aren't worth taking apart and repairing. I just buy guaranteed used ones from @Minnetonka4me at WestSide Powersports.

I've used two generic relays to control the motor on my SPX. This requires quite a bit of wiring wizardry and trial/error, but if you want more details, I can explain how I did it. You need a basic knowledge of how a relay works and a test light. I housed this in the grey box next to the mpem. Worked well, just had to look behind me to judge where the trim was. Now that I think about it, I COULD have left the trim sensor hooked up. But being young and dumb, I just cut all the wires to the whole unit and ran two wires only to the motor.
Easy way though is to just get one from Westside Powersports ;)

I appreciate it guys! Yeah I've never seen one of those kits work real well. I test and also add some waterproofing before they are shipped. Pm me if you would like to go the replacement route.

I just installed a trim fix on my 95 xp. I had to modify the worm gear per the instructions but it was an easy install. Everything works as it should. My sensor was working so I left it alone. At this point for just under a hundred bucks it seems like a good fix.

I thought i was going to wind up sending Nick @ Westside powersports more money for me a VTS box but after reading extensively about the VTS anf all that is and is not working I figured out my motor was in great shape only thing wrong was the display only shows a portion of thebars moving and the TRIM-FIX said it could/would fix it but after reading reviews saying it only replaced a few bars in the display, of which i have 3 or 4 showing so i decided to hold off till it completely frys out then call Nick for a replacment housing.

I have no experience in repairing. I would like to find a way to un-pot the pottig and try to fix them as there are so many that have been thrown away. Theres the ‘trim-fix’ i dont have any experience with that though. I have found that if u keep a good vts boot on them and put silicone around the edges of unit where the potting is that they will last for quite some time.

Spent some time this weekend working on my jet ski. Based on your advise to keep the water out, I realized that water leaks probably destroyed the VTS. I decided to replace the motor, gasket on the VTS box, rear seal and VTS cover. The motor was rusted and would not operate. The box gasket was not installed right and a tab on the box was broken and would not close properly. The rear seal looked ok but replaced it because I could. I have other issues but think the rear unit will stay dry now. Thanks for your advise. I appreciate you taking the time to help out. Will keep you posted on my project.

I hope you used OEM to replace that accordion boot on the back. I used to buy new aftermarket ones, and they'd crack and degrade after just a year. No sun exposure, just crappy rubber. I pay the extra few $ for oem, fingers crossed it lasts. I ride salt, so it's super important for me.

I hope you used OEM to replace that accordion boot on the back. I used to buy new aftermarket ones, and they'd crack and degrade after just a year. No sun exposure, just crappy rubber. I pay the extra few $ for oem, fingers crossed it lasts. I ride salt, so it's super important for me.

Thanks for your feedback. I don’t mind paying a little more for OEM parts but sometimes they are not easy yo find. Where do you get yours?

If your motor is good you can try a guy that sells a kit called "Trim Fix".

They aren't worth taking apart and repairing. I just buy guaranteed used ones from @Minnetonka4me at WestSide Powersports.

Thanks for giving me your source for the trim assembly. Not a fan of after market solutions unless they work exactly like the original parts. I understand the Trim Fix doesn’ do everything the original assembly does. I plan to give them a call.

I've used two generic relays to control the motor on my SPX. This requires quite a bit of wiring wizardry and trial/error, but if you want more details, I can explain how I did it. You need a basic knowledge of how a relay works and a test light. I housed this in the grey box next to the mpem. Worked well, just had to look behind me to judge where the trim was. Now that I think about it, I COULD have left the trim sensor hooked up. But being young and dumb, I just cut all the wires to the whole unit and ran two wires only to the motor.
Easy way though is to just get one from Westside Powersports ;)

Thanks for recommending Westside Powersports. I will give them a call.

I just installed a trim fix on my 95 xp. I had to modify the worm gear per the instructions but it was an easy install. Everything works as it should. My sensor was working so I left it alone. At this point for just under a hundred bucks it seems like a good fix.

Is the Tirm Fix unit still working like it did when you installed it? During installation did you see anything that made you think it would last longer...additional water/weather proofing, new location of Trim Fix unit or overall quality of materials? Just curious about your observations of new unit vs Sea-Doo unit. Thanks.

I thought i was going to wind up sending Nick @ Westside powersports more money for me a VTS box but after reading extensively about the VTS anf all that is and is not working I figured out my motor was in great shape only thing wrong was the display only shows a portion of thebars moving and the TRIM-FIX said it could/would fix it but after reading reviews saying it only replaced a few bars in the display, of which i have 3 or 4 showing so i decided to hold off till it completely frys out then call Nick for a replacment housing.

Nick at Westside Powersports seems to be the one everyone uses to keep their VTS working. Thanks for your feedback and recommendation. Not to much longer before we will be cruising on our favorite lake on our vintage jet skis.

You can mount the trim fix module anywhere in the hull. You just have to decide what will work best on you ski. I mounted mine up front and just had to run wires to motor. I followed the original loom back to original vts module.

Did you have any issues with the worm gear bottoming out when the trim is in the fully up position? Mine works except if you put the trim all the way up, (with the worm gear all the way in), it tightens up like any bolt and seizes and I have to take the motor off and loosen the gear to get ti working again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back