Using Rubber Fitting instead of "Protection Hose"/"Protective Boot" for Drive System

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips

I have a 1997 Speedster and can't get in time for this weekend, an OEM boot that covers the axle and connects to the carbon ring and hull insert.

I am thinking my worn out boot is causing cavitation since I have tried every other area if potential issue for the problem.

I am wondering if the more rigid rubber "hose" will function better than the rubber boot that gives under pressure. Will too much pressure pushing the carbon ring onto the stainless steel ring, create too much heat and a potential failure? I will cut the rubber hose to proper length specs in manual (59-67mm).

Here are some pictures of the potential replacement...

35.jpg

36.jpg

the accordian is what is pushing on the carbon seal to eliminate water from entering the boat. need to have pressure on the carbon ring

sorry, i'm not quite following, so that is a no? we should def use the same accordian part?

Yep... a rigid coupling wont' work properly. The carbon ring boot has ridges... and can compress. That boot acts like the spring to hold tension on the seal.

If you are looking to just run for a weekend... you may be able to find a sweet spot to get it to work... but it will wear the ring, and as it wears... it will leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back