Used Pump install 97 GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

get_real

I decided to get a used pump housing off eBay as the nut holders had broken on my original unit and the wear ring was shot. Found I had about 1/8 clearance between the impeller & wear ring! The wear ring in the used housing looks almost new, very happy about that. Did a test fit with the housing and impeller and the clearances look great.

Was curious if I should replace the double lip seal or bearings since I don't know the condition of the used housing? The bearings look ok, looks like someone put a little grease on them during storage to prevent rust. I'd like to do this job right the first time and order all the parts I need at one time, so was wondering what parts and seals should always be replaced when swapping pump housings? Also do they sell a kit with all the seals or are they all purchased separately?

Attachments

• JetPump.JPG
    JetPump.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 14
I don't make it a point to replace the bearings or the shaft on the jet pump unless there is good reason. I do replace the lip seal most of the time. They get brittle and allow water to come in. If that happens failure is not far off.

You can buy a pump rebuild kit for about $60 if you want to replace everything. Pay special attention to the thrust bearing. I put a small amount of good silicone grease on the thrust and roller bearings before assembly and use Moblie 1 75W 90 gear oil due to cost and the number of units I refill. Take your time, the procedure is in the manual. Good Luck !!

Thanks for the great info & reply. Already found the pump oil at a nearby Sea-Doo dealer but appreciate knowing I could use gear oil next time. Will take your advice and order the new double lip seal. Will post after job is complete!

Finally got all my parts and installed the new double lip seal today. However when I went to tighten the impeller on the shaft it gets so tight it won't spin. If I back the impeller off 1/4 turn it spins great. What do I do at this point? The only options I can think of is to try and sand the wear ring wear where I feel it's getting tight to create more clearance or grind the outside of the impeller some? Is this a common problem or do I possibly have a bad wear ring or housing?

Typically you have pinched the thrust bearing and/or washer.

Put the pump shaft in the vice on the flats, next install the thrush bearing, then washer, then place the pump over the shaft. Now put the impeller on.

Used Seadoo pump oil this time, but appreciate the hint. Got the cone on and it help pressure for the 10 minutes. Can't wait to button it up and get it on the water this weekend to see what a difference the correct clearances on the impeller will do. My clearances now are all around .012. Prior to this top end was around 30 mph and it cavitated quite a bit prior to getting trimmed out.

Got the ski on the water today. Ran great. Gained 15 mph with the used housing/wear ring, top speed was 45 on smooth water. Planning on adding a tach next. What's a decent mph & rpm for a 97 GTI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back