ultra novice seeks utopia advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

philmc

I just found this forum and glad I did. I've read some related posts, but could use additional advice. I'm a 1st time buyer and I'm looking at a 2005 Utopia 205 SE with apprx 40 hours for $15,500. I'm going to look at it / test drive this weekend. Dealer says its in showroom condition. What should I look for - visually, and what questions should I ask? Is this price too high? Are NADA values a good reference? Should I look for a 2006 or newer based on engine differences? I'm trying to stay under $16k. Any useful advice is appreciated. Unfreezing in MN.

Thanks for the tip. I contacted that seller last week when he posted it the 1st time. He is asking way too much! I could only wish I could find a mildly used '06 for ~$16k (maybe I'm unrealistic). Would you mind sharing how much you paid? Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I contacted that seller last week when he posted it the 1st time. He is asking way too much! I could only wish I could find a mildly used '06 for ~$16k (maybe I'm unrealistic). Would you mind sharing how much you paid? Thanks

Your not being unrealistic. One of the members, craigmri just purchased a brand new old stock 07 for under 14,000 tax in, so don't be afraid to look around.

By the way I have an 05 with the Mercury, and have never had any trouble with it at all. You just need to find a Mercury dealer to service it, as Sea-Doo dealers have no clue about them.

Aaron:cheers:

What is his reserve?

Just a curiosity, what is his reserve price? That boat is out of hand with all that he did...:hat:

I stumbled onto my deal. What pushed me over was the warranty and the fact that it only had 12 hours on it. You are where I was a few weeks ago. Basically, decide what you want..whether it is a newer boat or a used one. If you want a newer one, research and make a list of dealers within approximately 400 miles(that is about 6 hours each way towing). Then start dialing. See what they have left as far as 2008 goes. You might find a 2007 like Craig did. I know that was my next plan. If you want a used boat, then be patient and keep searching.

From what everyone on this forum had advised me, given the economy and the season, you will find a good deal. That was one of the reason I got into boating...take advantage of times like this. Given the gas prices last summer, I think that there are deals to be had out there.

By the way, welcome to the club...and looking forward to you adding the number of Utopia owners on the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/1097638312.html

Here's another one. I know that you can get a 08 Utopia Se at $25000 from dealers without really even trying. So that guy is crazy to sell a used boat for more than what you get a new one for. Don't forget...these are asking prices. Most of these folks are upside down on their boat. They don't get the fact that most people don't want to buy their financial issue. That was nice about my deal. The guy knew he was upside down on his boat and knew he had to sell at a loss. I made a fair offer and got it. :)

My price range and finding a great deal are my primary drivers. I'm going to test the '05 on Saturday and also keep shopping for an '06-'07 deal. Thanks for the lead in WI - I'll check it out. :) I need to be oatient. :)

All the advise above are those of this forum

Phil,

I just wanted you to know that this forum is full of people that are very very helpful. Most of what I told you are things that have been advised to me. Especially from Craig! Just be patient. What you described is exactly me....I wanted an Utopia...but only one at a great price. Everyone just advise me to be patient and keep an eye out. Be ready to go with the transaction....only when everything checks out. :agree:

By the way, Craig got his from Smith Powersport(Fred-800-549-6009). They have a 2007 Islandia for $26,500.....that is the boat my wife really wanted. But my tow vehicle would hate me. :reddevil:

There are a few 2008 Utopia around. The lowest advertised price I have seen are $25000 or so. That's why that Islandia sound so good......:(

Good luck. I will keep an eye out. :patriot:

I just bought a 2003 Utopia 205 a month ago with 45 hours on Mercury 240hp for 13K. Nice boat with loads of extras.

Done deal

Thanks everyone for the input and tips. I tested the '05 Utopia last weekend and was very impressed. It was super clean, ran smoothly on a cold start and was in excellent condition - so I bought it! :hurray: I'm bummed that they didn't have the owners manual but I'm sure I can find one online if they can't find it. I'll post a picture this weekend when I get it out on the water. Looking forward to joining future discussions!

I bought a 2003 Utopia 205 with 110 hours for $12K a month ago. I looked around quite a bit, and for this area, I couldn't find any better deals. I wasn't willing to wait for 2 or 3 months to save a 1K. All in all, it's in great shape, with a few expected nicks and scratches. I can't wait to get it out and learn to drive it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back