UglyH - Sportster won't restart after initial use?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster-2001-951C-Stock

Sportster won't restart after initial use

Hi, my apologies for private message - I have just joined and can't figure out how to post a thread.

I have just purchased a 98 Sportster 1800.
First problem fixed with help of this site was the reverse cable.
Second was the fuel baffle fuse.
This next problem has me stumped.
I start the boat and run around for ten mins. Then stop, fish. Restart fifteen minutes later, run for ten mins, then stop fish.
However, every so often both motors will not restart after initial use.
The engine doesn't crank, there is power to horn and lights, but no response from the start button.
Could it be that I have damaged the Neutral safety switch when i repaired the reverse cable and if so how do I check this?
I also get a combination of beeps when unable to start:
2 beeps - no start response. Fuel gauge working, but after hitting start, fuel gauge fails as well.
Remove lanyard.
1 beep.
Definitely in neutral.
Remove lanyard.
Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep no stop - however fuel and oil level is good, and I have repaired baffle.
After waiting for 15 minutes - the boat will start perfectly.
I don't think it's fuel related or lack of air as both engines are affected and there is no starter response at all.

great forum - thanks in advance for any help.
UglyH

UglyH,

Let's start troubleshooting by examining the generic MPEM beep sequence, please see the attached charts. These may not be exactly specific to your particular boat but hopefully close enough for the purpose.

Also, if anyone has additional ideas or suggestions please feel free to jump right into the water, it's warm!

Attachments

• Seadoo Basic Diagnostic.jpg
    Seadoo Basic Diagnostic.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14
  • seadoo DI self diagnositic.jpg
    seadoo DI self diagnositic.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
1.could both be overheating...won't start until cooled off?
2. maybe too pressure in the gas tank??? Does the tank make a hissing sound if your remove the cap. Do this when it's not starting, not after it's cooled off.

You could check the neutral switch with a meter and just ohm across the 2 wires and operate the gate lever and watch the meter change. But I don't think that is it, you would get 4 short beeps yelling at you that the gate lever is in the wrong position. In a normal operation you should get 2 short beeps when you put the lanyard onto the post and the boat should start. If you leave the lanyard on the post while fishing it will need to be removed BEFORE the boat will start again, resulting in one long beep. At least I know on my Speedster I have to remove it, I've gotten the long beep to remind me more than once. I just make it a point to remove it when I hop off to hang on the beach.

To me I would start with checking that all battery connections and grounds are in good, clean, tight shape- unless like racerxxx points out it is just leaving the lanyard on too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back