Troubleshoot Fuel Delivery Problems : low revs, bogging, surging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, again this is the best when it comes to help for newbies. I have a logic problem or maybe just to fearful of breaking something. I have a 96 XP and I am trying to get the fuel selector off so I can clean it and can't make any headway. As for a retainer all I see is a single screw in the exterior selector switch knob and no amount of prying seems to get it to come off. Am I going about this the wrong way to get the valve off? Also I assume the internal filters in the carbs are right under the fuel line intakes and can be cleaned without having to rip the whole carb apart. Can you remove them to clean them without taking the carb off the engine? Oh one more question, are the high speed adjustment on the top or the bottom of the carb when looking from the top of the engine? And can I adjust those for more flow? What I am betting is breaking down at high speed and out of the water a lot of oil smoke, almost like its getting more oil than gas. I have cleaned the bowl filter which had some crap in it and cleaned the plugs.

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
I know on my 98 GS that knob was very hard to remove off the metal its slipped over.
I broke the large plastic retainer (under the selector knob that your trying to remove) that holds the fuel selector to the hull.
I replaced both the retainer & knob (the knob ended up in poor condition once I finally got it removed LoL).

Now on my 98 GS the stock carb fuel filter is internal & I had to unbolt my carb so I could lay it over to get to the very tiny internal fuel filter.

Okay guys, again this is the best when it comes to help for newbies. I have a logic problem or maybe just to fearful of breaking something. I have a 96 XP and I am trying to get the fuel selector off so I can clean it and can't make any headway. As for a retainer all I see is a single screw in the exterior selector switch knob and no amount of prying seems to get it to come off. Am I going about this the wrong way to get the valve off? Also I assume the internal filters in the carbs are right under the fuel line intakes and can be cleaned without having to rip the whole carb apart. Can you remove them to clean them without taking the carb off the engine? Oh one more question, are the high speed adjustment on the top or the bottom of the carb when looking from the top of the engine? And can I adjust those for more flow? What I am betting is breaking down at high speed and out of the water a lot of oil smoke, almost like its getting more oil than gas. I have cleaned the bowl filter which had some crap in it and cleaned the plugs.

Thanks,

Pat

Single screw in center of knob. Once you get the knob off you will see the screws that hold the valve to the hull.

I did finally get it all off, Blaster really helped! Strangely though, after a thorough cleaning the reserve side is fine but it seems no amount of effort or carb cleaner could get the main side to flow well. So I ordered another valve. It also looks like all the lines are newer but still the Tempo gray crap so they will all be changed to Ethanol rated fuel hose. Next project is to pull off the carbs and drop the bowls, clean them a bit and replace the inside filters. The main filter had some crap in it but not much and mostly dark flakes. At that point all that could be left is the rectifier but it seems fine for most runs then just stops, starts right back up though. Very strange thing the plugs are black not the soft brown you would expect from running lean.

Thanks,

Pat

Old thread - Great info
My 98 GS has the bogs down at high RPM after warmed up issue
Question;
- Are all gray fuel lines an issue? - My fuel lines appear fairly new & look to have a black inner lining - Is there a date code or run number on the gray fuel hoses that will give a clue to age?

I had to replace all the gray fuel lines on my '98 SPX - while they appeared in good shape from the outside, you will quickly see all of the green "slime" deterioration upon examination.

I have gotten around to tearing my whole 97 GSI apart and rebuilding it from scratch, I am now to the fuel reassembly and come to find out, my hoses that were apart so I know where they go are moved on me. I remember this thread having pics of the baffle showing what goes where and id in the pictures. It seems I can see the image in google images but then it comes back here and I can't see it. Are they still available? I do not want to get the fuel lines mixed up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was having issue with my 99 GTI and replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carb. The machine ran like new, but now loses power randomly at full throttle.

Do I check for gunk in the fuel tank now?

I was having issue with my 99 GTI and replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carb. The machine ran like new, but now loses power randomly at full throttle.

Do I check for gunk in the fuel tank now?

Try starting a new thread in the 2-stroke PWC section, we'll be glad to help, it's just going to get lost here.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back