Tried to go for our first ride today - Unfortunately, It did not go well

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadasaurus

I wanted to keep an eye on the bilge since this was our first drive. Good thing I did, only got the port engine started when I could see water shooting out of the tuned pipe. Back to the trailer we went. When we went for the test all was fine. It must have been just about to blow. Not a fun day....
IMG_02-Small.jpg

Sorry, should have clarified, when we went for the initial test drive 2 weekends ago, there was no problems that I could see. I checked the bilge a few times during the test drive.

Also, realized that the battery (it's just one battery in this boat) wont hold a charge and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the battery out. It just wont fit. As far as I can tell I'd either have to remove the tuned pipe, or move the oil tank, but even after removing the nuts holding the oil tank on the filler hose wont allow me to move it to get the battery out. Am I missing something here, how can I not even get the battery out. Sorry to vent, not a fun day...

What year? I know on my 95 to go from dual to single battery the the single battery is a pain , had to remove the oil tank to get it in. The one the previous had in it was easy to get in/out but I couldn't find the size anywhere .

Thanks for replying Bdk1282s. Our Speedster is a 96. Yeah I was looking at Canadian Tire's web site and all of the group 24 dual purpose marine batteries I found were at least as big as the one in it now, if not slightly larger.
Do you happen to know if this battery would be a good choice for my boat:
MotoMaster Nautilus Group 24 Starting & Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

How hard was it to remove and re-attach the oil tank filler hose? It's a pretty awkward location. I was concerned I'd get it disconnected and not be able to reconnect it afterwards.

Thanks!

It had the Rural King 56-60 NON Marine in it , it was tight but I couldn slide it out. No other battery matches it in size and they won't ship it, nearest was 3 hrs so I bought the full size Marine group 24. The oil tank was not bad to remove, but I did lose quite a bit of oil trying to drain it, it's in a very tight spot. Reinstalling was a nightmare . Of course it was 90 and humid , I was upside down for hour or two to get it back in place with the filler tube and the mounting pins/bolts. There was no absolutely no play in the filler tube and where the tank goes. I'm definetly using a trickle charger so I don't ever have to replace it . To get the current group 24 out you'll have to remove oil tank or exhaust pipe, so regardless it's gonna be a headache.

I had the same hole on my pipe but cleaned it good and used a good amount of epoxy putty. After about 9 hrs of use it's still holding fine, my plan was to have it welded up later but I may not. I'm not sure that we need such big batteries in these boats as you only start 1 engine at a time. I too have a single conversion on my '97 and it's a fun job getting a full-size unit in and out but I can if I pull off the water hoses. When mine dies I will replace it with a tiny Odyssey PC680.

Well the tuned pipe with the hole in it is the one that is blocking access to the battery so I figure I might as well do them both at once. I love the idea of the smaller replacement battery, that I could install/remove without this issue next time.
Are you sure the smaller Odyssey will be strong enough? Sorry, not doubting, just want to be sure, and I really do not know much about batteries.

I was looking at the Odyssey web site and was wondering if the PC680 wasn't quite powerful enough (or perhaps it is?) would the PC925 or if need be the PC1200 batteries suffice for my 96 Speedster twin. I would very much appreciate recommendations. It sure would be nice to be able to get the battery in/out without having to remove anything else. Thanks!

I'm sure my Vulcan 1500 bike takes way more current to crank over than these little 720's and it starts fine with a relatively small conventional M/C battery. The PC680 is the replacement size for my motorcycle and has twice the power of it. I may consider a 625 instead of the 680 as it's whats recommended for Sea-doo and has a tad more power (but it's smaller!). Just have to devise a mounting system for it. I'd also love to hear from others that have tried them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back