Transducer location

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meach

Im all excited I just received my Lowrance Elite 5 HDI combo fishfinder + GPS chartplotter. I cant find out if the included transducer will work mounted inside the hull on my 97 Speedster or not. I emailed support and am awaiting a reply. The reason I think it might work inside the hull is it gave very specific instructions on how to do that. Anyway I was hoping someone had mounted their transducer inside the hull and was happy with how it worked and could tell me the exact location they used to help me out. As always any suggestions and words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Well OK the through the hull transducer is an optional accessory. So its transom mount here we go. Anyone find a good place on the transom to mount it? I had a fishfinder on a 98 seaswirl inboard outboard that the dealer installed and it sucked because over 5mph it showed thousands of "Fish" on the screen AKA bubbles from a bad transducer location. Would love to be able to get depth readings while on plane in the speedster but I guess that requires a good mounting location or trial and error. Was hoping you guys could help me out and eliminate alot of the "errors"

Thanks,

Mark

A "though hull" transducer is a different beast. That's normaly a big brass unit, and you cut a hole in the bottom of the boat, and mount it flush. (so it's really thought the hull)

Most of the transom mount transducers can be mounted in the hull.

You need to find a spot in the middle, where there isn't too think of a spot, and there can't be any stringer, flotation, or wood. (solid fiberglass) Then, sand the mounting point smooth. (Get rid of the rough chopper-gun finish) then sand the bottom of the transducer.... and then mount it using waterproof epoxy. DO NOT use RTV. I know some people say it works... but the soft silicon will insulate some of the sound, and in turn, you lose resolution.

Transom mounting is good, but when you are moving past a no-wake speed... the bubbles at turbulence will blank out the signal.

I have an older Elite 4, and I have the transducer glued in the hull, and works great. It even picks up the water temp.

Thanks so much for the clarification. Looks like im confusing my terms. Like you explained how to I want to glue or epoxy the transducer in the bottom of the boat Im guessing somewhere in the engine compartment. So I can use the same transducer I have that also can be mounted on the transom? The through the hull transducers they sell as options are in fact brass and I certainly dont want to go that route. Well thank you so much for the great info.

Mark

The big "Though hull" transducers are great, and work the best !!! But they do take a leap of faith to want to cut a 2" hole in your hull. (LOL)

Anyway... YES... the transom mount transducers will normally work perfectly fine as an "In Hull" unit. Basically, they make noise, and then have to hear the echo. SO... as long as it's mounted to a solid surface, with nothing to deflect that noise... they work.

Well shoot the decisions get more complicated. I asked Lowrance support if the included transducer was ok to mount in a shoot through the hull epoxy in place configuration. Here was there answer...

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do not recommend mounting this transducer in a shoot thru hull installation. The downscan imaging will loose about 40% of the signal in this type of installation. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Navico products!

Navico Technical Support

Ok so since im a fishfinder newbie all I really want is the depth, speed, gps/chartplotter and to see a fish or two if they are there. It looks like it can get so complicated with downscan, sidescan, chirp, 2d sonar, broadband technology if I go ahead and epoxy it in am I going to wish I hadnt?

Thanks

Mark

Well.......

If the new high res down scanning will be effected... then I guess it's a transom mount.

OK so I guess its going to be a transom mount. Now I am sure there must be some of you with 97 Speedsters who have done a transom mount and are happy with the results. I would be really happy if I could get a depth at speed. If someone could post a picture of where to mount the transducer on the transom it would make me estatic... I had an I/O boat and the fish-finder/dept sounder worked great under no wake speeds. Soon as you sped up it was a ton of bubbles that registered as fish on my old unit. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks

Mark

Ive been searching the forum and internet in general and had an idea..... does having twin engines figure into the transom mount transducer. What I found was a bunch of photos of twin outboards and twin inboard outboards and in EVERY case the transducer was mounted in the very center of the boat right next to the center drain plug. Has anyone done that? Has anyone seen one mounted like that? Would mine being a jet drive have an adverse effect if mounted in such a way? Perfect weekend to work on the boat and want to put it in my slip next weekend at the marina and its so much easier working on it at home.

Thank You

Mark

It's hard to mount it center when the jet pump is mounted there.

I would mount it just inside the most center chine, and just below the hull level.

BUT... on some of these hulls... they are channeled to suck air under, to help with top speed. If that's how your hull is... then it won't matter where it's at... you will get air, and lose the picture. If you want it to be perfect... then an actual "Though hull" is what you need.

Too bad you can't do a dual transducer with that one. In-hull for when you are moving, and transom when at no-wake speeds.

image.jpg
It's hard to mount it center when the jet pump is mounted there.

I would mount it just inside the most center chine, and just below the hull level.

BUT... on some of these hulls... they are channeled to suck air under, to help with top speed. If that's how your hull is... then it won't matter where it's at... you will get air, and lose the picture. If you want it to be perfect... then an actual "Though hull" is what you need.

Too bad you can't do a dual transducer with that one. In-hull for when you are moving, and transom when at no-wake speeds.

OK I know Im new and all that but I dont see a jet pump mounted in the center of my twin engine 97 speedster.. I guess I left out the twin engine part? Anyway I have a 9" wide flat or slightly rounded area between the pumps that runs quite aways up to the front of the boat. Dark in garage and boats on the trailer hard to see right now. The drain plug is mounted to the side in this "Spot" and it seems like it is the best chance I have of uninterrupted water flow. I've seen countless outboard and inboard / outboard boats with the transducer in this location but no Jet drives and no Seadoos. Just wondering if Im missing something. I read with interest the web site for stern savers and although they are trying to sell a product they do have a lot of information regarding transom mounted transducers.

Thanks for all the information

Mark (I know the picture is upside down, I cannot for the life of me figure how to turn it over)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally all done

OK So after all the measuring and thinking and whining and such I finally just went ahead and drilled a hole and mounted the transducer. I mounted it exactly in the center of the transom about 1/8" lower than the bottom. Went out and tested the boat and find it works absolutely flawless. From idle to WOT got a good picture no bubbles or weird things on the screen it actually works great. Well except it shows my speed as 2 mph no matter what...? Gotta look at the manual anyway cause the days of just playing with them to find how they work is over. Unless your a teenager because we all know they know everything right???

Thanks for everyones help and input.

Mark

Humm....

Make sure the time/date is set. Some GPS's need it to know where the satellites are. Also... make sure it's not in "Demo" mode. I know mine can turn off the GPS, and simulate so you can play with it while in the garage.

View attachment 27244
Finally all done

OK So after all the measuring and thinking and whining and such I finally just went ahead and drilled a hole and mounted the transducer. I mounted it exactly in the center of the transom about 1/8" lower than the bottom. Went out and tested the boat and find it works absolutely flawless. From idle to WOT got a good picture no bubbles or weird things on the screen it actually works great. Well except it shows my speed as 2 mph no matter what...? Gotta look at the manual anyway cause the days of just playing with them to find how they work is over. Unless your a teenager because we all know they know everything right???

Thanks for everyones help and input.

Any chance that you have a picture of the final mounting. I have the exact same boat and I'm planning on mounting mine this weekend.

Thanks
Mike

Sorry, we are not in boat mode up here in MN. We are in Sled mode.

But the Lowrance Elite-5 HDI has a setting to use NEMA sensor or over the ground GPS for speed. Yours is probably setup to use the sensor. Switch it over and you will use GPS for speed. Lowrance will tell you that GPS is more accurate above 5mph, but trolling under 5mph is more accurate with a speed wheel. The transducer is only used for sonar and temp.

It does have a selection under System Settings for Tmp/Spd port. There is also a water speed calibration, where it will compare the speed of a paddle wheel to GPS. So I am assuming they can both be enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back