Trailering long distance with a cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

briancayko

I am going to be taking the first long haul with our 2010 C210 this summer. I have a Carvin cover rated for highway use. What tips do you guys have or anything I should know while prepping for the trip?

I did a short test run & the only thing that seemed weird to me was that I left the poles in that are used to tent up the cover so the rain will not pool on it while parked. With the wind resistance pushing on the cover it tightened up & seems like the poles are 1) unnecessary & 2) cause unnecessary strain on the cover due to the increased resistance. Oh & the other thing was the bow ladder & old Cover snaps seemed like they would eventually wear through the cover after a while for the same reason mentioned above so my plan was to trailer without the poles installed or at least set very low & also fold up a tarp or moving blanket to place over the bow ladder stress points that were caused by the wind resistance.

I have a Toolkit & bottle jack with acrylic cutting board & some spare blocks of wood along with the spare tire.

Any other tips? Strap management, etc.

I have a 230 and trailered on 70 mph highway with cover. Yeah take the poles down, too much strain. Mine has some sections on side to hook lines that run under to help keep cover from lifting. Other thing to think about is protection from rock chips from tow vehicle. Make sure have good mud flaps otherwise you’ll have a bunch of little nicks in the hull.

I've long distance trailered my boat a few times. Keeping the cover on was my biggest issue. I had to stop often to ratchet it down some more. The cover seems to stretch and work itself loose on the trip out. On the way back it seems better.

I put a piece of split pipe insulation over the windshield to pad the cover, and I add a pad over the poles to reduce the stress.

Make sure your tires are inflated correctly. High speed will kill under-inflated trailer tires quickly.

I had to trailer 3-4hrs on way, several times for 2 weeks. I tested my 210 challenger without the cover, with the cover but without poles, and with a cover with poles.

Fuel economy wise, with a cover and poles was the most efficient. I have a Pappy cover and that hasn't ever come close or made me concerned it was. As far poles, definitely don't put them at the same height as you would when parked to prevent rain, that will strain the cover. But I would put mine a few inches high than the lowest part of the cover would dip. This way, the cover isn't acting too much like a boat sail and doesn't put too much stress on the cover.

Speed wise, I honestly don't exceed 65 mph since my trailer tires are not really rated for higher speeds. If you do want to go faster, for every 10 mph increase, you need to increase the tire pressure by ~10psi (without excessing max PSI rating) and reduce load weight by 10%. Personally, with that much weight, I don't see a need going faster than 65 mph. Other than that, if you want to be thorough, check the break fluid for the trailer and ensure there's enough grease for the wheel bearings.

For longer trips with the boat/trailer I prefer to keep the cover off. Just close the windshield and you're good to go! I think the trade-off of the cleaning, etc that's needed is worth saving the strain on the cover.

For longer trips with the boat/trailer I prefer to keep the cover off. Just close the windshield and you're good to go! I think the trade-off of the cleaning, etc that's needed is worth saving the strain on the cover.
I agree... Don't forget to remove any loose cushions if you have removable ones!

I, personally, wouldn't trailer the boat with cover on at any speeds except around town maybe less than 20mph. Much more than that, no matter WHAT cover you have on it other than shrink-wrap, and you risk at a minimum stretching the cover so it doesn't fit as nicely, and worst case, the cover rubs through the gelcoat as it flops in the wind....which it WILL do!

@10forty2 What type of cover did you have on? Was that with a snap on or mooring cover? On my previous boat, with a not snug mooring cover, definitely see that happening. My current mooring cover fits snug enough with the ratchet straps that I have never seen it move in the wind or see any rubbing on the gelcoat. I generally trailer my boat the 30min to the lake and back each time I take it out and don't use the cover. But yes, agree completely with you about speed. I had to leave my boat at the dealership for way too long that necessitated leaving the cover on but that was only 10 trips I've done with a cover on so possibly not enough to notice gelcoat issues or cover stretching issues.

@10forty2 What type of cover did you have on? Was that with a snap on or mooring cover? On my previous boat, with a not snug mooring cover, definitely see that happening. My current mooring cover fits snug enough with the ratchet straps that I have never seen it move in the wind or see any rubbing on the gelcoat. I generally trailer my boat the 30min to the lake and back each time I take it out and don't use the cover. But yes, agree completely with you about speed. I had to leave my boat at the dealership for way too long that necessitated leaving the cover on but that was only 10 trips I've done with a cover on so possibly not enough to notice gelcoat issues or cover stretching issues.

I have a Poppy ratchet cover that fits just about as snugly as any cover could....and even at slow speeds, I notice the cover slightly flopping in the wind. Its just my preference, but I won't trailer with it on for any distance or at any speed higher than about 20mph. Again, just my preference. For reference, I have a really nice Kimber 1911 .45ACP that I treasure. It stays holstered unless I'm shooting or cleaning it, and even in its custom fitted holster, there are still scratches on the blueing from taking it in and out of the holster.

@10forty2 What type of cover did you have on? .

It is a Carvin full cover. No snaps. Has loops along it to use whatever kind of strap you want & a cord that runs along its perimeter that you can tighten down to tighten up the circumference as well around the boat. Thanks for all the experience & advice. I think that after seeing it on the test run I will trailer without the cover for this trip. That is what I usually do for our weekly lake jaunts that are about an hour each way on the interstate. I will definitely mind my speeds & watch tire pressure too.
Now hoping it doesn’t rain!

I drive about 5 hours (one direction) to get to the NC coast 4-6 times per year. I will occasionally go without a cover (if it’s a spur of the moment trip), but usually have the covers on. I put the mooring cover (the one with snaps) on first with the poles, then put the poppy cover on over it. This works well for me. There is no flapping or movement of the poppy cover, with the exception of a very spall movement at the center peak of the windshield. I’ve verified this with the guys following me when we have my boat and multiple skis on a trip.

I stop about 20 minutes into the trip to tighten the straps 2-3 more clicks, and I make sure the cover straps go under the back corners of the boat. The vents on the sides keep it vacuumed to the mooring cover while driving.

2c01d98441d941b2b2fdf0e21eaf81a0.jpg

75fe76106cb725188adf3f9eee81900e.jpg

I suppose you can tow with cover on, I've never liked the results but never had the fancy poppy cover. If you run into rain, I suggest pulling over till things dry up b/c if you don't there'll be a lot of cleaning to do.

I suppose you can tow with cover on, I've never liked the results but never had the fancy poppy cover. If you run into rain, I suggest pulling over till things dry up b/c if you don't there'll be a lot of cleaning to do.

Been driving to the coast for more than 20 years. It’s hard to drive from western NC to the coast without hitting some rain. Big state. A LOT less cleanup than driving with the cover off.

That is a nice cover. Mine has several straps up & down each side of the boat that would definitely flap and rub during the drive. Where did you get that mooring cover?

That is a nice cover. Mine has several straps up & down each side of the boat that would definitely flap and rub during the drive. Where did you get that mooring cover?

Poppy makes the cover now. Mine is branded “commercial sewing”. The key to the cover is a single continuous strap around the cover edge that has two ratchets at the back that tighten the strap around the boat like a belt. Eliminates the need for under-boat straps, which do vibrate against the gel coat. I hate those. Mine came with the boat when I bought it used. I believe it is the factory cover, but am not 100% sure.

We only use the covers when in storage or docked overnight. The skis get the occasional tarp when sitting for the winter but have scratches on them because of it lol..

I need to invest in some good covers for them.

We only use the covers when in storage or docked overnight. The skis get the occasional tarp when sitting for the winter but have scratches on them because of it lol..

I need to invest in some good covers for them.

My ski (95 SPX) is pretty much left out. It’s not worth nearly as much to me as the boat is. The boat gets all the attention...

You certainly know how to be rude, that's for sure.
Hate for things to escalate, but I didn't think he meant to be. Both of you are experienced peoples with, differing preferences that, depending on where you live, one is more valuable than the other. As someone who lives in NC and goes to the coast frequently, @go_panthers is right, we get a bunch of rain storms out of nowhere. Literally last week, was out in the yard and came in as it was like 93ºF. An hour later, huge rain storm with a random hail storm appeared and over the next 30min, enjoyed the relaxing sounds and mental image of hail hitting my BMW that's parked outside. Then it stops and becomes unbearably hot again. I mean, he's right, if you're trying to trailer a boat several hours to the Carolina coast, should probably have a cover on your boat or at least with you when you experience a rain storm.

Do as you wish of course, I've towed numerous types of boats 10's of thousands of miles back and forth across country, cover on was usually a mistake UNLESS you insist on towing in rain. I think I have experience enough concerning this subject.

I do have tips to share concerning this subject but refuse to considering the rude comments. Period.

I hate to see this escalate. Would prefer everyone shares their own advices and thoughts so that others, that feel they are in a similar situation, can better understand the topic and make an appropriate decision. But although driving 10s of thousands of miles does give you a lot of experience and knowledge to share, that information would best pertain for those traveling cross country for extensive amounts of time. Differs a bit when traveling relatively shorter distances locally and very frequently, where the situations are different. Personally, on my 20min drive to the lake, don't use a cover. If I'm driving 8 hours to the dealership, I will put the cover on to improve my fuel economy and go slow to prevent stressing the canvas. Don't go that distance frequently enough to notice rubbing issues. And when going further distances, get crap pop up storms. Whether it's hard rain or the occasional pop up hail storm, id prefer having the cover on to prevent a mess. For anyone trailering cross country with their boat through states that don't have weather issues, or just adamant that their cover will rub or be damaged if it's on, that's their decision. I don't know what their cover is or condition, each is different. Having a poppy cover, I've never noticed and flapping or rubbings, granted I can't see much when trailering. But I believe my cover can be on when trailered without breaking or damaging the boat.

No need to have conflict. We're all here to discuss a topic in a civil matter.

Thanks for the good discussion. What about fuel capacity? Should I fill her up full before leaving or closer to my destination?
Seems that the extra weight would be worse on fuel mileage but it may pull better full? Or perhaps neither to the extent it would matter much?
C210 pulled by a GMC YUKON Denali 6.2L v8.

Thanks for the good discussion. What about fuel capacity? Should I fill her up full before leaving or closer to my destination?
Seems that the extra weight would be worse on fuel mileage but it may pull better full? Or perhaps neither to the extent it would matter much?
C210 pulled by a GMC YUKON Denali 6.2L v8.

I don’t worry about full vs empty very much, but if I’m carrying 10 gallons instead of 46 gallons, that’s a few hundred pounds lighter on the trailer parts (bunks, springs, etc...). Never occurred to me that it could make a difference pulling.

The one thing I’ve found that affects the comfort of towing is how tight the boat is to the trailer. If the boat is not tight to the bow roller, for example, it can have a rocking effect on the trailer, which can cause the going to oscillate up and down. This can happen if the rear straps are not tight, as well. I’ve actually got a boat buckle strap that runs vertically from the time to the bow eye to help ensure the boat is locked down on the trailer.

20211dd28b3809bac70a94239d6d8457.jpg

You can see my tow rig in the picture above in this thread. RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi with the air suspension. Love the self leveling suspension, and the ability to hook up the trailer without moving the trailer jack up or down.

Gasoline is roughly 6 lbs/gallon, so difference between empty and full tank is roughly 250 lbs. Not sure that's making a huge difference in towing mpg.

We tend to trailer full if we're going somewhere where gas is either ridiculously expensive or not available.

Poppy makes the cover now. Mine is branded “commercial sewing”. The key to the cover is a single continuous strap around the cover edge that has two ratchets at the back that tighten the strap around the boat like a belt. Eliminates the need for under-boat straps, which do vibrate against the gel coat. I hate those. Mine came with the boat when I bought it used. I believe it is the factory cover, but am not 100% sure.
It's not a factory cover, I just bought one last summer for mine. The poppy cover is made for towing and has the vents in it to let the air make it a vacuum so it doeant swell up. I bought supports for mine to help keep it up with no low points for when it rains. But these are very heavy duty covers and I think they run around $700 on Ebay from the company if I remember rite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back