Trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmiffy02

Hi. Is it just me or does my trailer nose seem really heavy? I have a challenger 1800 on a seadoo bunked trailer. I have to leave the boat 3/4 winched in otherwise the trailer nose is to heavy to move around.
Does anyone else have this issue or is there a simple solution?
Many thanks

Lou is right. 10% on the tongue. BUT... it's probably closer to 250~300 Lbs on the tongue if you assume a full tank of fuel, and normal BS in the boat. (skis, life jackets, ropes, anchor, and so on)

So, it's not like you will be able to lift that easy... and if the tires are a little low... you won't be able to push it either.

FYI... last time I worked on an 1800... I didn't even think about trying to move it by hand. It's just too heavy. Would you expect to move your car around by pushing it?

Here's what I use to move stuff around the house.......

289.jpg

You might want to post some pics of what you were trying to explain. Are you saying that you do not pull the boat all the way up to the winch post? I think you are leaving yourself open for a very dangerous situation there.

You would only be able to trust it to the strength of the winch strap, as you would be too far out to use a safety chain. And you would be hanging off the back of the trailer much too far to possibly use transom straps. And if you were, if the boat shifts forward while braking, which it could, your transom straps would now be loose.

I do believe the rule of thumb is to run the bunks within one inch of the transom. And many will run them a 1/2" past. I can't remember if the winch post is welded on our trailers, but if you choose to balance the weight back, take the time to adjust your winch post. allowing you to avoid any movement.

Weight on the tongue is very important for safe towing as well. Balance on these trailers is set at the factory, but as mentioned above, gear will effect it greatly. It will have a more noticeable effect on smaller tow vehicles. You get that weight too far back, and the tail will wag the dog, if you know what I mean.

Good luck,

^second that. Adjust position if possible (use transom for location at rear) and move winch post as necessary. Too much/little tongue weight can lead to disaster, or at least a change of underwear. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back