Trailer vibration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanix

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have an EZloader trailer withthe fat 8 inch tires.

At highway speeds there is a strong vibration traveling through the hitch at 45 mph and again at 70.

I've replaced, tires, hubs/bearings, bushings in the leaf springs.
Even tried messing with tire pressure and and shifting the seadoo back to reduce the tongue weight.

Not quite sure what is causing this but lookingback at one wheel i can see one fender shaking.

Maybe axle alignment ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it on my double at 45mph. Can't figure it out(I don't worry about it either), I just go faster and it goes away--not kidding. I think it has to do with the wind buffeting between the back of the vehicle and the work box. Everything else looks up to par too. And mine is a torsion axle not leafs. I have 7 trailers I tow at any given time, the only one does it and it's the only one with a work box.

Best of luck!

They make balance powder we use it on semi truck tires. Not real expensive maybe ten bucks for a package of it you would probably only use about a quarter of it on each Tire or half a bag at the most. Tire would have to be partially broken down off rim to pour it in there that would be a quick way to make sure a tire or Rim isn't out of balance before you would replace a whole axle. Find a place that might sell larger semi truck tires or maybe Napa might even be able to get some for you

Plastic bb's for air soft guns, a guy I work with balances his tires on his jeep that way. No problems and yes, he drives on highways.

Good ideas.

What would a trailer with a misaligned axle feel like or what would it do while moving.
I'm thinking it would crab sideways and jump around but its not moving sideways at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. New tires, too soon for wear paterns. Old tires had the inner and outer edges worn down on both sides. And the center raised higher above the rest of the tread.

Hmm. New tires, too soon for wear paterns. Old tires had the inner and outer edges worn down on both sides. And the center raised higher above the rest of the tread.
Inner and outer worn just means it wasnt inflated properly for a while

Check to see if the spindle isnt bent on the axle .
Raise it up and check that the wheel has no play usualy tighten the nut all the way and reverse 1/4 turn

Also if u have a wheel hub/bearing buddy make sure its not all dented up

One hillbilly way to check if axle is aligned is to mark center of axle on each side and then to check with a measuring tape left and right side from the taillight to center of the axle on each side

Found the left side to be toed out slightly and the right side to be square...

Think I might rotate the axle to turn that toe into camber and see if I can get it to run straighter and see if that fixes it.

What should be the tire pressure for this trailer?

Think I might rotate the axle to turn that toe into camber and see if I can get it to run straighter and see if that fixes it.

My single trailer does the same thing. I swapped wheels/tires with my double that play super smooth. Thought it was just the weight. I did notice one side is a half inch further on the axle within the fender. I towed it with the new wheels the other day and all is gone..... So far. Getting ready to drive it 2 hours on the highway here Sat. Should know if I need to adjust out that half inch or not.

Tire pressure is written on the tire max 750 lb at 45 psi for example deflate 5psi below indicated to get a softer ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back