Trade UP or Keep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
As mentioned in another post I now have 4 Jet skis. I have a 1996 GTX a 1997 GTX a 1996 SPI, and a 1995 STX. I am considering selling the two smaller skis and keeping the GTXs. I like the larger size and reverse. Assuming I had all of these skis running well and in good shape, would it be better to keep the GTX models or sell the whole lot of them and upgrade to newer skis ? I like the old ones because I can work on them. What would these 4 skis be worth individually ? I would stick with Seadoo but I believe the GTX is all I need. We just ride for fun and don't pull anyone.

Of course you should stay with Seadoo. The GTX's are with a couple grand each(in season) if they look and run OK. Newer skis still have issues all the time but when they break you have to write checks with commas in them. I agree with keeping skis you like and can repair yourself. The SPI is worth 900-1200 in my opinion if it shows well.

Thanks Matt. At present setting up the two GTXs would be the ticket BUT.... I just gave the SPI a lot of love so it is in really great shape. It would be a difficult decision to sell that one. Ha ha. Maybe I am a hoarder. I also have a number of motorcycles. I am going to thin things out come spring. Just trying to get some direction and appreciate the advice and thoughts. :) Happy New Year !!

New skis are generally more luxurious, but those GTXs are nice skis. Especially the '97. The newer skis are smoother, more quiet, and better on fuel. Also better in the chop, as they weigh more. That also slows them down though, and they will use additional power to be as nimble. The supercharged models require pricy rebuilds every 100h or so (roughly $300 for parts alone). The new skis aren't very complicated either. If you've worked on a car, you can work on a 4tec. They're fairly reliable too, depending on what model you get. I think you could be very happy with any 4tec GTI. They're great skis with lots of amenities and very reliable. They are commonly used by rental companies and can handle tons of abuse and tons of hours. They have closed circuit cooling systems, which further prolongs engine life. I have a 4tec that I got with 200hr on the clock. It's supercharged, and ~200hr later, the charger is leaking oil. Time for a new rebuild kit. Other than that, it's been very trouble-free and reliable. My 2 strokes always had issues with this and that. Some of it was because of age, some was due to oversight. Like I had sand in one of my cooling lines (the one that comes off the T-fitting at the back of the cylinders). That ski ran, but I'd go through AT LEAST one motor per season. Had a hell of a time with RAVE caps melting too. I ran the shit out of it though, I'm very hard on my toys. I'm down to one 2 stroke and 2 4-strokes. I found myself constantly working on the 2-strokes to keep them going. Wife made me put an end to it, allows me just the one now. She's right. The X4 is the only 2 stroke worth owning. The rest can easily be replaced with 4strokes. No real benefit to having a big ski with a 2-stroke.

Good stuff !! I'm just finishing up on my the second GTX that needed everything on th engine. I solved part of my problem with too many skis by giving one to my cousin. I told him, "they grow more" and now he has 3. LOL I found him a great deal on 2 of them. I am gonna stick with the GTXs for now. I will keep my eye out for a good deal on the models with the closed cooling systems. I like that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back