Tps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bills86e

Premium Member
Premium Member
Symptoms of a Bad Throttle Position Sensor
Devices malfunction can cause problems for us mere mortals. Throttle position sensor is an electrical part and any malfunction of which can cause a break in our lazy drive. To know about symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor, read on...
The function of the throttle position sensor, aka TPS, is to supply information to the computer about the position of the engine's throttle plate. The throttle position sensors contain electro-mechanical moving parts which are prone to wear and tear, deterioration, which eventually add to the cost of engine diagnosis. Malfunctioning of a TPS can result in improper data being fed to the computer, which monitors engine performance, in respect to the fuel efficiency of the engine. A damaged, malfunctioning TPS can cause variety of symptoms which are also known as symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor.

Symptoms of a Defective Throttle Position Sensor
Following is a list of symptoms, either of or a combination of which, an operator may experience because of a defective throttle position sensor:
Bucking and jerking.
Idle surging.
Sudden stalling of the engine.
Hesitation while the driver is trying to accelerate.
Sudden surge in speed while driving.
What Happens with bad Throttle Position Sensor?
The data provided by TPS is invaluable for proper startup, idle and easy throttle response of the engine. These operations are affected when a bad throttle position sensor feeds erroneous data into the computer because of which the:
Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is turned on.
The driver experiences difficulty while changing direction or experienceing moguls.
The fuel economy drops drastically.
Causes difficulty in setting base-ignition-timing.
How to Test a Throttle Position Sensor?
TPS are manufactured using switch, potentiometer and combination designs. If the TPS is not adjustable then it becomes mandatory that you check throttle stop and throttle cable adjustments. Their improper functioning could cause symptoms such as, poor startup, inefficient response of the throttle idle stop. Switch and combination TPS are tested with ohmmeters. In order to test a non-adjustable TPS such as potentiometer TPS, a voltmeter is used and the following list, describes the steps involved in it.
You need to disconnect the throttle sensor harness.
Open the throttle valve manually and check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 2 changes.
Check the resistance in three different positions of the accelerator pedal.
You may record a resistance of approximately 10-ohms when the accelerator is fully, 2 to 10-ohms partially depressed and 2-ohms when completely released.
It is good idea to go through the Shop manual for specific information which may inform you whether you need to change the TPS or for that matter any of the other engine parts.

Replacing Throttle Position Sensor
Following are few instructions which can be helpful in replacing throttle position sensor.
Remove the fasteners of the faulty throttle position sensor while holding pressure against the throttle chamber, Note if it tilts one way or another as you release pressure, and the tab position as you pull it away.
Apply few drops of an anti-stick dielectrical grease to the tip of the replacement throttle sensor and install it in the throttle chamber.
The anti-stick solution will make it easy for you to remove the TPS in case you need to replace it.
Start the engine after connecting the throttle sensor harness connectors as specified in the shop manual.
Check whether the output voltage of the TPS is within the specified range.
Check the torque spec and Tighten the screws to complete the installation of the TPS. Over-tightening may render the part useless.
The longer you take to remedy problems by neglecting the symptoms of a bad TPS, the more money you are going to shell out. Irrespective of The first symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor is your wallet, because driving a fuel guzzler is not cheap. You will need more gas to travel the same distance and you will be adding more poisonous gases into the already burdened natural environment than necessary.

Bills86e

WOW, Bill, thanks for the post. I never knew about the TPS.
i copied this put pasted it into my Seadoo repair file.
Where is the TPS located?

instead of giving the guy a hard time, you could have explained why his machine doesn't have a tps , because your post doesn't say anything about naturaly aspirated engines.

Bill,

I'm thinking that since these new guys are so smart we should just step aside and let them take over.

Lou

I actually experienced a bad TPS on my car about 6 years ago. Was going down the highway at 60mph and the car just stalled out. At least that is my recollection of what it was :)

Google = an easy way to look up terms that you don't understand before asking.

On a new cheap simple car.14 plus sensors minimum.Throttle,cam,crank,maf,vaf,intemp,ex temp.The list goes on.This is on a simple cheap car.
Turbo and supercharged are FORCE FED.i.e. air is forced down their throats by a mechanical means.As opposed to ram fed where a large intake is up in the airflow and the faster you go,the more air is scooped/rammed into the air intake

Being a technician over 30 yrs, I think that bill took it for granted when he wrote this thread, that is the theory of operation of the tps, that only fuel injected models will have this sensor, and i do believe that bill is quite educated on how things work in fuel delivery systems. although fuel injection systems are not as complex as those on domestic vehicles, they are not (adaptive), meaning o2 systems, telling the computer to lean or richen mixture, by pulsing injectors longer or shorter, from map, temp,tps, o2, etc.

Google - that's what i did, but they didn't say the NAengines are those with Carbs.
Thank you Lou.

If us new guys are so smart then why do we ask questions.........TO LEARN.
Even the veterans ask questions....right Lou ...when you ask about the speedo/gauge questions and who knows how many others.
Someone posted a different answer then you about the compression readings..he said 125-130 you said 150psi, I think concerning a 951 motor.

A lot of time the more experienced guys will assume the newbie will know what was said. Sometimes it needs a bit more explanation...it would also save from some one making several more posts to clear things up.

I know you were thinking of making a snide remark but didn't.......good........let's save those for the "ask Jake& Lou" thread

I think AND THIS MY 2 CENTS WORTH.Don't look a bloody gift horse in the mouth.There is a HUGE amount of talent here!!!!Just because 2 people do not agree,does not mean it is wrong.It is a case of bouncing ideas to help people.Some take the ideas,some don't.Some thoughts are right,some are wrong.But all thoughts are worthy.Wake up!!This is a bloody good site and quite the nit picking!!What do you want to happen.There is 50 different personalities on here at once.Not everyone is right.Not everyone is wrong.Be serious.Have a joke.Whatever.IT IS NOT A BLOODY CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone come back to me and tell me I am wrong!!!It's not a damn school yard.Reread what people say!.They love this site BECAUSE WE ARE GOOD AND FRIENDLY.Now reread it and look at the last month.It a pack of crap.everyone should sit down,shake hands and have a beer!!Wow.That felt good.Any objections???????????
C'mon.You are reading this

And while I am at it!!!
Everyone here does different things in different areas.Some are good or great in one area,some are good or great in different areas.SO BLOODY WHAT!!! together as a forum we all pitch in and help as a big team..Everyone grow up.Respect your elders and when you see them.Buy them a beer.:cheers:

You are correct. :agree: Lots of opinions. :agree:

Beer sounds good too....:cheers::cheers:

If some one is wrong then correct him and explain why, so the person asking the original question will know the right procedure. :thumbsup:

Happy Halloween everyone......
Crisso - do you guys treat or trick tonight also as we do in the USA?

Not to the extent you guys do,but the door knocking yes.
I meant what I posted before.Everyone should take a bloody step back and look at whats going on
Happy Halloween

O.K. guys, this isn't really even supposed to be a thread, it's a how to article. So lets end the bickering and move on. I'll just keep my opinions to my self, it just irks me at times when people who have no practical experience give advice. Enough said.

Lou

OK, So now I assume that Naturally aspirated engines are those with turbos or superchargers on them.
A.k.a. - fuel injected

Hey SeadooBuddy,

Naturally Aspirated doesn't really have anything do with carbs or fuel injection (for the sake of this conversation anyways), think of it more on just the intake (of air). When you have natural aspiration you are not attempting to force anymore air into combustion chamber than the engine itself can digest. When you add a supercharger you spin a turbine which acts like an air compressor that forces more air into the combustion chamber (this is not natural aspiration), the more air you can force in the more gas you can burn and the faster you can go (why the supercharged skis are faster). So your ski is naturally aspirated and has carbs, when you have carbs fuel delievery is mechanical so no need for the throttle position sensor.

My ski, is naturally aspirated aswell but is fuel injected and uses the throttle position sensor along with mass air flow sensnor and crank sensor (and a few others) to electronically control ignition and fuel delivery.

Hope this helps!

I just think it was pretty rude and unprofessional for someone to post a reply in a way bill did. someone is asking a question in a ''how to forum'' and get blasted, pretty shitty if you ask me.

thanks BMANN06 - Please no more postings about these answers. As Lou said 4 posts ago this was a "how to" thread.

Sticky's & How-to articles

These are intended to be read as information only, like "Library Books" do not write in them. Use the Forum for asking questions, talking, getting help, ect. Thanks, Bill

Seadoobuddy, I apologize by rudely answering. Some carbed engines like 951 use TPS to electrically operate the Raves. Please accept my apology. Bills86e

These are intended to be read as information only, like "Library Books" do not write in them. Use the Forum for asking questions, talking, getting help, ect. Thanks, Bill

Seadoobuddy, I apologize by rudely answering. Some carbed engines like 951 use TPS to electrically operate the Raves. Please accept my apology. Bills86e

What about the NA 4tec 130???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back