Tool idea for dockside jet pump rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodwin10

I'm the guy that likes to be over-prepared when it comes to tools and parts, so after some happenings with the wear ring on my GTX this weekend, I got to thinking.

My goal with the stock in my trailer tool box is to be able to handle nearly anything that happens at the lake, save for catastrophic motor failure, however I am currently lacking pump parts. While I do have a spare I plan to rebuild, for conversation's sake let's assume you're having to fix what you (or your buddy) have. Getting a pump apart wouldn't be an issue if you had a vice mounted to your trailer or truck and getting the old wear ring can be done without anything special. When it comes to installing a new ring there really is no substitute for a press, in my opinion. Yes, you could use a hammer but there is a much greater risk in damaging something and being back at where you started. What if you had a 'mini press' that would collapse and fit in a tool box? Would there be any interest in that if the price was right (sub $200 for example)? I'm curious to hear your opinions, as I potentially have a solution in mind.

I'm thinking that a $150 spare pump, a socket set with some extensions is just as simple.

ps.. i've never ever carried a spare pump and i'd only consider that if traveling out of town maybe, its not worth $200 to possibly fix something that might possibly go wrong to save a half day of riding.

I agree. I have a spare pump but don't want to do that job at the dock. But some people live pretty far from dock or have a slip and don't want to bring it home. Pita. So to each his own. If u want to be a rolling mechanic shop more power to you. But if you want to get back on the water quick read the above thread about pulling the pump with a homemade wood puller and bolts, bring a spare pump and make the swap.

someone on here used to carry a spare pump in case of sucking up a rope or something and trashing a wear ring. on the non-reverse skis, its the two linkage bolts, the nozzle, and the four mounting bolts, probably not even much hassle if you service your pump regularly and the impeller isn't rusted to the shaft. main challenge might be to get the splines lined up on the impeller without being able to spin it by hand to line up. it makes sense if you have a long trip from home to the lake like i used to, it was a minimum hour each way to the nearest lake, and most of my lake trips were weekend camping trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back