To cover or not to cover???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flixdachef

I just bought a 2006 Gti se 130. I've only gotten it out to the lake 1 time but I'm already hooked.

I've heard some people never cover when towing and some people always do.

What are the pros and cons to each?

That's my arguement. I would think it's cheaper to eventually replace a cover than to have to redo the paint.

I still wouldn't mind hearing from the devil's advocates out there.

Not so much an issue on jet skis as on boats...

When you cover it while driving, it smooths out the contours of the boat so that wind will go over it better, rather than creating a "parachute" when it hits the seats. I was able to get 16 mpg towing my boat back from Florida with the cover on. Initilly, Karl told me to keep the cover off, but mpgs were down in the low 14s. I saw instant improvement after putting the cover on. (my truck has the digital mpg computer built in, so I could tell without having to refill the tank).

Also, when you get to point B, the boat is as clean as it was when you left. No leaves, dead squirrels, or other trash picked up from the trip.

Bryan, huh?

Where you skiing at? Somerville?

We camp out there with the boat and XP periodically. Great campground where you can pull your boat right up onto the beach at night south of the dam at Somerville Marina. Nice sandy and grassy beach.

I've only made it out to Lake Bryan so far. Not huge but it's enough to get wet. Working my way over to Somerville. Heard it's a great place tho.

Lake Bryan....hmmm...good memories there, but all sailboating. Took my sailing class at A&M there, and got my first taste of hobie-cats there.

Somerville is really nice. Deep, and depending on the wind direction, it can be really smooth...(see pic).

We try to camp for the weekend at Somerville at least 2 or 3 times a year, but for us, that is a 3 or 4 hour drive, so it doesn't happen too much.

Great place though, just make sure you camp out at Somerville Marina and get a lagoon spot as in the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found my 09 GIT hauls better with the cover off, than on. then again I dont have mirrors on mine so the spot where there are supposed to be mirrors kind of puffs up but I'm working on a system to fix that (read - putting mirrors on)

Mostly clean interstate up here to the lake so trash/rocks aren't much of an issue.

Cover Bad

I travelled with cover on the first couple of trips,then I looked at the inside of the cover.There is yellow paint where it fits tight:ack:
The wind causes a vacuum in the middle of the boat at speed.When you slow down it releases.This rubbing on the paint is bad.:(
I'd rather clean bugs off the seat than watch my paint get scatched:cheers:

I travelled with cover on the first couple of trips,then I looked at the inside of the cover.There is yellow paint where it fits tight:ack:
The wind causes a vacuum in the middle of the boat at speed.When you slow down it releases.This rubbing on the paint is bad.:(
I'd rather clean bugs off the seat than watch my paint get scatched:cheers:
First good reason i've heard, Lee. Thanx for the input. Do you ever have problems with debris on the road messing up your boat?

The boat and skis are two different animals. On the skis you have to worry about the forward body and sides of that (under the handlebars) getting rubbed on by the cover.

Looks like the tow vehicle would shield the ski for the most part. I have been on a 4 hour trip to the beach down I-65 and did not have anything other that bugs. Just don't go when the love bugs are flying ! I have read that the cover tends to scuff the finish. I also wonder if the cover might come loose on the road ..... not good if that happens.

I never, ever, ever, tow anything with the cover on. I shouldn't say ever because I did do it once and it (the cover) scratched the shit out of my new ski. The bugs wipe off but getting a scratch out of gel coat was impossible. Just my two cents..................

I only tow mine with the cover on. My cover doesn't scratch it up. If I go out for just the day to salt water then I do not cover it up on the way home. Trying to clean all of that salt out of the cover is harder to do than the salt on the ski and bugs and stuff. I don't like to do it. If I had a fresh water supply to rinse it off before leaving then then I would use the cover. I don't have any scratching issues or stuff like that. I wash and wax mine after every use.

I only tow mine with the cover on. My cover doesn't scratch it up. If I go out for just the day to salt water then I do not cover it up on the way home. Trying to clean all of that salt out of the cover is harder to do than the salt on the ski and bugs and stuff. I don't like to do it. If I had a fresh water supply to rinse it off before leaving then then I would use the cover. I don't have any scratching issues or stuff like that. I wash and wax mine after every use.

Your Ski is over ten years old, and I'm not calling you a Liar. Its just that you don't see the damage that cover is doing. If your gel coat was newer and you didn't wash and wax it every use, I'd bet you a hundred bucks I could walk up to your ski and show you exactly where the rubs and the chaffing is occuring.

Folks that are afraid of Road Grim or Rocks shouldn't worry, the part of the ski that takes on that abuse isn't covered anyway. (HULL) Covers are made to keep the Sun and rain off the Ski. Anyone ever put one of those old time covers called a Bra on the front of thier car. If you did tell me a lie and tell me when you took that thing off you didn't have any scratches. I put those damn things on my car because I thought it looked cooler than the dent in the grill. I laugh at that Vacuum vent bull crap they sell you when you buy most covers they say for trailering, but the real truth to that is, it gives the moisture someplace to go, so you don't get as much Mildew. UV fades the Ski prematurely, and I never understood the folks that cover anything when it sits in a closed garage either, you cover it up and people walk by it and rub up against it cuz its covered and safe, if you only would have left the cover off nobody would touch it and there again its pretty easy to blow the dust off it when its time to get it out. But hey I've only lived and learned what do I know, its just my two cents.

Slowboatin...

Your Ski is over ten years old, and I'm not calling you a Liar. Its just that you don't see the damage that cover is doing. If your gel coat was newer and you didn't wash and wax it every use, I'd bet you a hundred bucks I could walk up to your ski and show you exactly where the rubs and the chaffing is occuring.

Folks that are afraid of Road Grim or Rocks shouldn't worry, the part of the ski that takes on that abuse isn't covered anyway. (HULL) Covers are made to keep the Sun and rain off the Ski. Anyone ever put one of those old time covers called a Bra on the front of thier car. If you did tell me a lie and tell me when you took that thing off you didn't have any scratches. I put those damn things on my car because I thought it looked cooler than the dent in the grill. I laugh at that Vacuum vent bull crap they sell you when you buy most covers they say for trailering, but the real truth to that is, it gives the moisture someplace to go, so you don't get as much Mildew. UV fades the Ski prematurely, and I never understood the folks that cover anything when it sits in a closed garage either, you cover it up and people walk by it and rub up against it cuz its covered and safe, if you only would have left the cover off nobody would touch it and there again its pretty easy to blow the dust off it when its time to get it out. But hey I've only lived and learned what do I know, its just my two cents.

Man, that's running hard smack but I have to admit, he's got a point. When I drove down to Florida, I rented a Uhaul to put my ski in. Ask Karl, we had one heck of a time gettin it out. But, I did not have any road dings on my hull. I worried about the hull gettin beat up and the cheap trailer bearings. I could have gotten away with the flat bed dual tire trailer but for the same price, I could keep it enclosed.

Good point ........... Sup Slow! nice to see you hanging round for the off season. I've done two pumps so far this year. One with new Solas, one with reman SBT. I still got to pull my 787 from my Challenger this season though. I'm going to pull everything apart and do a full gasket replacment, since that's what shut me down this summer..........:cheers:

fwiw - as an avid camper guy .
i own a 2007 rockwood 33 ft camper and have been in this debate over whether or not to cover a fiberglass camper.
(just go to rv.net and search 'cover' and watch the fireworks)
i personally live in the woods and dont cover anything, not my rockwood, not my 20' cuddy, the lrv is int he gargage so it is irrelavant. leaves suck - but do your maintenance

my position has and always will be : 1 the damage caused by the cover rubbing during storage in the wind and on the trailer will FAR outweigh any damage caused by a good scrubbing of grime that accumulates with a powerwasher and brush
. I am NOT siding with the attitude taken by any previous posts and waiting for some positive ones.. Silence is golden . just saying

and 2 - the dealers dont cover them (Rv's) - yes i know most rv dealers are out in the open - Plannned by them for this very reason

i know i am new here - NO WAR Please - I will need your help and offer the same later PLEASE - the other sites are too brutal for honesty

ps - just realized that people offer their knowledge and help here that is cross-designated (computers, cars, motors, etc etc) and while my expertise is becoming a good listener with 2 strokes... if you have a problem finding HIN numbers (i know its redundant) or regulations i will reveal that i am LEO and will help ANY member with Hull ID or Reg and Paperwork questions.

Karl or Snipe (or the other mods)- please feel free to create a place to find out this stuff and I will assist - LEGAL

Man, that's running hard smack but I have to admit, he's got a point. When I drove down to Florida, I rented a Uhaul to put my ski in. Ask Karl, we had one heck of a time gettin it out. But, I did not have any road dings on my hull. I worried about the hull gettin beat up and the cheap trailer bearings. I could have gotten away with the flat bed dual tire trailer but for the same price, I could keep it enclosed.

Good point ........... Sup Slow! nice to see you hanging round for the off season. I've done two pumps so far this year. One with new Solas, one with reman SBT. I still got to pull my 787 from my Challenger this season though. I'm going to pull everything apart and do a full gasket replacment, since that's what shut me down this summer..........:cheers:

Hey My Brother's in Sea-Doo I don't mean to come off as hard smack or dis-respectful I hope Sup Slow you forgive me if you think I was yelling, I wasn't I was just typing fast. :leaving:

ps - just realized that people offer their knowledge and help here that is cross-designated (computers, cars, motors, etc etc) and while my expertise is becoming a good listener with 2 strokes... if you have a problem finding HIN numbers (i know its redundant) or regulations i will reveal that i am LEO and will help ANY member with Hull ID or Reg and Paperwork questions.

Karl or Snipe (or the other mods)- please feel free to create a place to find out this stuff and I will assist - LEGAL

Yeah, we have a mixed bag of members here. With the knowledge our members have here, we can repair anything from computers to trailers to well even seadoo's :rofl:

Hey My Brother's in Sea-Doo I don't mean to come off as hard smack or dis-respectful I hope Sup Slow you forgive me if you think I was yelling, I wasn't I was just typing fast. :leaving:

It seems we have a different type of forum going on here then the competitors...we have respect for all members, and hard smack that gets out of hand, gives that member an opportunity to meet new people...on another forum. This is a friendly place and a good community to help each other. We're all human and sometimes we take things the wrong way, but for the most part we don't have much of that going on here. Sometimes fast typing can be misunderstood...I'm sure no disrespect was intended.

:cheers:

Karl

It seems we have a different type of forum going on here then the competitors...we have respect for all members, and hard smack that gets out of hand, gives that member an opportunity to meet new people...on another forum. This is a friendly place and a good community to help each other. We're all human and sometimes we take things the wrong way, but for the most part we don't have much of that going on here. Sometimes fast typing can be misunderstood...I'm sure no disrespect was intended.

:cheers:

Karl

:agree: No positively no disrespect, just my two cents on covers. I screwed up back in 2005 when I bought a 2004 Honda Aquatrak. I thought it was the most beautiful ski out there. It was the first new ski I had ever owned so I covered it and drove it home; when I got home it was screwed up. New cover, new ski, big mistake. Anyway if I can save someone the resale value on their ski, that is what my rant was all about.

Smack...

I have not actually taken smack as being offensive. I took it as pretty much "in your face" kinda stuff. The comment was kinda like that. Were you see so many people get these new doo's then, strap the cover on them. Like you said, I remember seeing the "car bra's" come out and the damage they did to the nice new coating. So, I can see what your talking about.

SlowBoatn is cool. I"m sure he wasn't offended, I just made the comment that, there was no beatin round the bush, it was just there. But, it was honest and it was also, "True"......There is more damage done by trapping the moisture and wind blowing it around than if you just left it out.

Now, I must admit, both my ski and boat stay under cover. But, I live out on the water, around oak trees dropping leaves, sap from trees that drip when hot, stuff like that. I have to tow about 1 mile to the river (without the cover), then once launced, I'll leave it at my dock for about 5 days. That's about the longest I leave them in, because I have to pull them out for hull cleaning.

My intent wasn't that you were offensive, just to the point and pretty much, right on target!....

Sorry. I bounce around in and out of multiple forums a day. Too many to count. I know there are about as many forums out there as one can need for all of his stuff and his wives stuff. I'm around more yall cause I've closed my FACE BOOK account. It kept me pretty busy. It also ruined my marriage. So take this lesson from me. DO NOT talk to ex girlfriends or any other woman that will hurt your wife or significant other. I made a mistake and will never do it again to her. Things are not going real good but I still have to keep up on things. I believe the wear ring and impellar are next for my ski plus my yearly rebuild of the carbs. I didn't take what SGTDuckButter said offensively. This is the net. I'm on some forums that flat out let anything go. I've got to do a lot of thinking and work on my domestic problems. That wasn't the only thing that set my wife off. I made a mistake and I'll have to live with it. I do not want to lose my wife. If it comes to that then I'll go on. Maybe I'll move to Florida. Who knows but GOD?

Games....?

Man, I hate to hear that. I dont' want to jack the thread but you've made one heck of a big statment there, that can't go un-touched. My wife really got mad at me for playing to many games. I got a pretty powerful system with some big bucks in it and can play all the top of the line games (right now, hooked on Call of Duty 4, part 2) with ease, no hang ups. But, I was playing 7 days a week. She finally had enough. So, at least she told me before it was too late. Now, I pretty much don't play any games, well, ... not when she's here anyway.

It's a lesson learned but for many, it comes a bit to late. You been a good member here man, I hope things turn around and work out......:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back