tipping issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

scsc

i have noticed my spark is very tipsy in the water and will even tip in low speed turns so i was wondering if and how i can adjust the sponsons on the seadoo

Yea, I think its just something you get used to. My gs is a real pain when you are sitting still or trying to turn slowly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sitting and standing it just seems so tipsy so is there any aftermarket sponsons i can get for it

We'll have aftermarket sponsons available VERY soon! Couple of weeks out. Shot you a PM.

Smaller skis are almost always a struggle when sitting or going slow. But, the plus side is, they are often very agile and fun.

There is a give and take. Smaller more agile equates to more "tippsy"...

Lol I felt the same way when I got mine. I stopped to show my son some sting rays in the water. We both looked to the right and the ski flipped completely upside down.

Jay

give it some time, it just takes a little time for your body to get the hang of balancing. my first ski was a 89 wave runner and felt very tippy as it has a very narrow hull, after a few rides it didn't seem tippy at all.

Our first ski was a 94 SP which was very tippy. The new Sparks seem very stable compared to them. I can stand with both feet on one side on the Spark. Couldn't think of doing that on the SP.
Have been doing donuts and figure 8s trying to get used to these and having fun so far.
Heading out shortly today for a few hours.

I will have to agree with Off-road. I just sold two Seadoo SPI jet skis and bought two new sparks. The sparks are very stable compared to the older two stroke skis. You can sit at slow speeds or even turn the skis off and have no chance of flipping or getting dumped off. We have the 2-up models and they have been awesome to ride. Its nice to get on a ski and finally have it start every time with out hesitation. Just keep riding it will get better. Also make sure you don't have any water in the hull. This could cause the ski to be unstable.

I have had that problem with a 1999 GSX RFI. That is why I am probably going to sell or trade that ski this summer. I am a bigger guy and I can ride the 2 seat GSX by myself but can only take off from a dock with my son onboard and then its gas and go. Any hesitation and it tips over. When we are ready to stop we just roll off into the water. Definitely not an ideal situation. Do you have the 2up or 3up model? I rode the 2up at demo days because they didn't have a 3up available. Could be the extra 100#'s of rating on the 3up would give you the extra buoyancy/stability you need. 2up was a blast to ride but I wouldn't buy one. If the 3up is more stable I might consider it. Haven't ridden 3up yet so can't say for sure.

russellb;406246Could be the extra 100#'s of rating on the 3up would give you the extra buoyancy/stability you need. 2up was a blast to ride but I wouldn't buy one. If the 3up is more stable I might consider it. Haven't ridden 3up yet so can't say for sure.[/QUOTE said:
I have a 3up. I weigh 220 and GF weighs 160 almost at the weigh limit of 450 with a combined weight of 380. When I take her son 100 pounds, I don't notice. With her, I feel iffy while ridding the spark. On the RXT with her, I don't notice.

So to me by myself, it's very stable.

I have a 3up. I weigh 220 and GF weighs 160 almost at the weigh limit of 450 with a combined weight of 380. When I take her son 100 pounds, I don't notice. With her, I feel iffy while ridding the spark. On the RXT with her, I don't notice.

So to me by myself, it's very stable.

It seems there is little to no margin of error when it comes to Sea-Doo weight limits. If you approach or exceed the limit you are going to have to be very careful not to tip. I'm wondering if I can convince my local dealer to let me test the 3up. Makes no sense why the didn't make one available at the test day. The had one on a trailer but not in the water.

If you want nimble and have fun with the extra stability, I would just go ahead and buy the 3up. It's a lot of fun, it has a different "grip" point than the RXT. I would say anything past the 300 pounds, the 3up drags its rear in the water. You will have to get your passenger to stay forward.

And with regard to tipping, if you feel that is an issue, go ahead and buy a used GTI or RXT. Those are very stable boats.

I am new at this, just bought a spark 3up and went for a ride this last weekend for the first time.

I was riding with my kid and partner all three are under 400lbs and after about 15 min riding we tipped and after trying to get back up 7 times, decided to swim to shore. I guess it was too heavy to carry 3...so why does it say 3up?

Also, I am a little scared now with the impression that it will tip over at any moment.

What are some tips so it doesnt feel so unstable ?

yes - I understand very scared, I had a 1997 XPS it was very tipsy.

Ok 1st, a 3up is really a 2 up, and a 2 up is really a1 up. If you had your partner and another person that’s too many on a 3 up, I know it says 3 up but it’s like only 100 lbs each person lol.

Also do you have a reboarding step? It’s very important to have it to get back on it.

let me know

I have a Spark 2UP.....which is really only good for 1 adult and MAYBE a small child, a 3 UP is good for 1 Adult , 1 mid size and MAYBE (but I wouldn't do it) a smaller child. NO WAY a Spark3UP can handle 2 adults and a child IMHO.....they are too light for that load and would be very susceptible to tipping while not under power.

The Spark reboarding step is almost a must to get back on the ski, unless your arm strength is quite good to haul yourself onboard.....but then the next person and the next would make that ski so unstable I could see where it would be damn near impossible to get everybody back onboard.....especially scary if you were in open ocean water....NOPE....not for me!

i have no problems with stability at all on my 2up & 3up trixx- I'm about 5'10" @ 180lbs. But I do notice my friend who is same height but at least 260 - 280 lbs tips it almost every time he rides it.

I am new at this, just bought a spark 3up and went for a ride this last weekend for the first time.

I was riding with my kid and partner all three are under 400lbs and after about 15 min riding we tipped and after trying to get back up 7 times, decided to swim to shore. I guess it was too heavy to carry 3...so why does it say 3up?

Also, I am a little scared now with the impression that it will tip over at any moment.

What are some tips so it doesnt feel so unstable ?
Just wanted to write a second feedback after a couple months playing with the spark. I confess that the first time I rode my brand new spark and tipped 7 times, all I wanted was my money back! but I have since changed my mind.

Two people is the max on the 3up but we have managed to tow a child on a tube as well. The speed also impacts the stability. The faster you go the more stable it is . Also, the waves from boats can impact the stability, I try to avoid being near boats.

There is a learning curve and it can be a little scary but I can guarantee that this little machine is amazing. The summer has gone to a totally different level of fun.

Good follow up and feedback......everything takes a little getting used to. YOU got to know (and learn) your limitations and that of your equipment.

Like the guy who trash talks his drywall lift won't reach his 15' ceiling when the lift is designed & built for an 11' working height.....COMPLAINS the lift is a POS.....go figure!

Back