Timing issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSLake

Installed a new bendix in 2003 RXDI 941and all went well until starting. Turns over perfect has spark and fuel, would just pop intermittently. Sounds like timing. Took back apart to check flywheel key, all good and everything thing else appears good. Put it back together still same issue. Any way to check timing?

Yes, there's a way to confirm ignition timing. You need to locate top dead center then mark the PTO wheel accordingly. A piece of wire clamped under a rear screw and bent to match the TDC mark serves as a temporary TDC pointer.

You will use a piston stop to locate TDC or preferably a dial gauge, through a plug hole.

These are temporary references b/c the PTO is threaded onto the crank and can move over time, it's not keyed.

It might be easier to consider how timing could've been disturbed and correct that b/c to change timing parameters requires reprogramming the MPEM TDC offset.

It;s pretty easy to overlook disconnected harness connectors, and a couple of them are easily swapped mistakenly.

I wonder if you just have fouled plugs or a fuel issue?

But considering you're working on a DI, it's important to have the factory service manual in hand b/c it's worth it's weight in gold concerning detail of the various diagnostic procedures.

Last edited:
Yes, there's a way to confirm ignition timing. You need to locate top dead center then mark the PTO wheel accordingly. A piece of wire clamped under a rear screw and bent to match the TDC mark serves as a temporary TDC pointer.

You will use a piston stop to locate TDC or preferably a dial gauge, through a plug hole.

These are temporary references b/c the PTO is threaded onto the crank and can move over time, it's not keyed.

It might be easier to consider how timing could've been disturbed and correct that b/c to change timing parameters requires reprogramming the MPEM TDC offset.

It;s pretty easy to overlook disconnected harness connectors, and a couple of them are easily swapped mistakenly.

I wonder if you just have fouled plugs or a fuel issue?

But considering you're working on a DI, it's important to have the factory service manual in hand b/c it's worth it's weight in gold concerning detail of the various diagnostic procedures.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to keep searching for other issues have installed new spark plugs. Is there away to troubleshoot the crank position sensor?

Yes, the crank position sensor can be tested using a DVM. The injector timing is also determined by the crank position sensor. There's a well written DI engine management section in the factory shop manual, includes the procedure for using the diagnostic BUDDS and VCK vehicle communication kit tools for changing the ignition timing and entire list of codes with their definitions, an explanation of how the system operates, etc.

I cannot imagine how yours could be mistimed thoughm unless someone has changed the flywheel to an incorrect part or maybe the engine has been rebuilt using parts mismatched to your MPEM version?

I'm trying to recall which connectors are mistakenly swapped, might be knock sensor and manifold air temp sensor?

Try a google search for "seadoomanuals" and look for the factory service manual, there's so much info packed into the jet ski manuals you'll be glad you did..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back