Thru Hull, Transom Mount

turbosl2

Water Crafts
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
What do you guys recommend for a depth gauge transducer. I am looking at the hawkeye D10DX or the Garmin Striker. I have the option of thru hull or transom mount. It appears the Garmin Striker 4 is external transom mount but the hawkeye can be purchased both ways. I hear there is alot of turbulance with a jet boat under the hull so looking to pick something that will work all the time. I dont mind drilling thru the hull if thats what it takes, but the garmin requires drilling small hole and an external bracket, not sure if it will read when on plane.

Water Crafts
2001 Challenger 2000
What do you guys recommend for a depth gauge transducer. I am looking at the hawkeye D10DX or the Garmin Striker. I have the option of thru hull or transom mount. It appears the Garmin Striker 4 is external transom mount but the hawkeye can be purchased both ways. I hear there is alot of turbulance with a jet boat under the hull so looking to pick something that will work all the time. I dont mind drilling thru the hull if thats what it takes, but the garmin requires drilling small hole and an external bracket, not sure if it will read when on plane.
After having snapped off four different transducers (all were Airmar brand), I am not a fan of transom mount. They broke because I could not mount them where they would be 100% clear of the reverse jet blast. The blast took them off, not striking anything.
I have a special made mount that bolts to the ride plate. It does not do well above idle speed.

I have been thinking of a thru-hull mounted just left or right of the flat in front of the jet intake.

turbosl2

Water Crafts
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
After having snapped off four different transducers (all were Airmar brand), I am not a fan of transom mount. They broke because I could not mount them where they would be 100% clear of the reverse jet blast. The blast took them off, not striking anything.
I have a special made mount that bolts to the ride plate. It does not do well above idle speed.

I have been thinking of a thru-hull mounted just left or right of the flat in front of the jet intake.
That’s good information. I have a transom Mount on my 32’ carver and anything above idle speed it doesn’t work. It is 25 yr old technology tho. I don’t mind drilling a hole if someone confirms a thru hull on the bottom of the boat, not stern, will work reliably

rsatina2002

Water Crafts
2002 Seadoo Challenger 2000
Mercury 240 EFI Gen. 1
2001 Yamaha XL-700 waverunner
I use a transom mount with Lowrance HD 7. I put it on the side of the speed sensor, created a hole to push through the transom and cut the wire for the transom so I don't need a big hole in the transom and solder it in the middle and properly connect the transom wires and ran it all the way to the side of cockpit and near the siderails and 7" screen just a perfect fit but it doesn't fit in the actual dashboard of challenger 2000 so I put it on the top of the right siderails and screw it on top with brackets so the 7" monitor will work even with the strong wind speed. The fishfinder works well upto 5-7 mph but more than that it is distorted but able to capture the depth properly and when running slower, it is very accurate reading with lowrance 7" HD.

turbosl2

Water Crafts
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
2003 Sea Doo XP DI
I use a transom mount with Lowrance HD 7. I put it on the side of the speed sensor, created a hole to push through the transom and cut the wire for the transom so I don't need a big hole in the transom and solder it in the middle and properly connect the transom wires and ran it all the way to the side of cockpit and near the siderails and 7" screen just a perfect fit but it doesn't fit in the actual dashboard of challenger 2000 so I put it on the top of the right siderails and screw it on top with brackets so the 7" monitor will work even with the strong wind speed. The fishfinder works well upto 5-7 mph but more than that it is distorted but able to capture the depth properly and when running slower, it is very accurate reading with lowrance 7" HD.
Thanks for the info. I pulled the trigger on a Hawkeye Hull mount epoxy type transducer. no water temp just depth. figure i give it a try and keep it easy. Hopefully i get depth at speed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:18)

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member