Throttle Cable Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

enut

I need to replace the throttle cable on my Challenger 1800 because it broke just under the levers. I noticed a big difference in price betweeen SBT and Seadoo. Since Seadoo and SBT does not make cables, are these the same cables or is there a difference in quality? Also, SBT only lists one cable, does this mean you use the same cable for both and one will be a little long when used with the starboard engine?
Thanks

The OEM parts are always overpriced. So, just buy the SBT cable. BUT... make sure you are looking at the right one. (and not for the regular challenger) If you are putting it in a twin engine boat... it would list it for both sides. But, if there is a doubt... then give them a call.

You can only buy the left throttle cable for Challenger 1800. Right cable is discontinued.
Left cable will work on the either side.

Do you guys think I should replace both sides while I am in there? Is is normal for both to go eventually? Or should I leave the other side alone?
Thankyou for the responses.

I just received the new throttle cable. I went to disconnect the cable end from the low speed steering system but it looks like I need to remove the steering wheel and flip the steering gear over to get at the cable nuts. Am I missing something? Is there some way to remove the cable end without having to remove the steering wheel and steering gear? I am sure a lot of you guys out there have already done this.
Thanks

I tried to remove the steering wheel but it won't budge. None of the automotive types will work on it. Where can I find the steering wheel puller that is shown in the service manual?

Try this....

1) put the nut on the shaft, level with the tip.

2) have a helper pull on the wheel. (not too hard, and pull straight)

3) Use a metal hammer, and tap on the end of the shaft.

Basically... it's a tapered shaft, and the vibration will pop the wheel. The nut will help protect the shaft threads... and a light pressure will help it pop. Don't get too crazy with pulling, or hitting, since you don't want to damage anything. But... you need a metal hammer to get the high frequency vibrations to separate it.

*STOP* before you do unnecessary work and damage something!!!

the bracket that holds those cables to the steering fixture comes off with one nut removed. you will see where the large steering cable swivels off the long part of the steering head. remove this nut, the bracket will drop down, then you can loosen the jam nut on the cable adjuster. the cable ends are sandwiched between plates held together by some small bolts, loosen these small bolts and remove the heads of the cables from the holes.
an inspection mirror will help, and I think there is a plastic vent/cover piece directly under the steering arm, you may be able to loosen those small bolts thru that opening...

I did not have to remove the steering head nor the wheel assy to get the cables off...
in fact I disconnected the steering assist and even removed the cable end bracket as well...

you can do all this with wrenches working under the steering linkage... good luck...

this info should be in your shop service manual!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response guys. There is not much room to work in there. I tried to remove the vent cover but the screws are filled in with something. I think I will need to find some small wrenches.

Thanks for the response guys. There is not much room to work in there. I tried to remove the vent cover but the screws are filled in with something. I think I will need to find some small wrenches.

true, not a lot of room to work in. but it can be done and how it is done...
a shop service manual is your friend, and tools of course...lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back