Throttle Adjustment 99 GTX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmekanik

I have a 99 GTX RFI.

The throttle lever is loose. Meaning I can squeeze it to the handle and when I let go, it doesn't return all the way back to its home/in position. It also only pulls the throttle lever in the engine a tiny bit. I'm assuming I can adjust/tighten something on the handlebar side to fix this? Haven't popped off the handlebar cover yet to look at it. Only looked at replacement throttle cable pictures. Don't really see adjustment screws on the replacement cables.

Anyone have instructions on how to adjust this? When I reach in the engine and pull the throttle cable, all is fine. This is why I think it's an adjustment in the handlebar.

Thanks.

The only adjustment can be made at the engine. There are two 10 mm jam nuts. One on either side of the mounting bracket.

Sounds to me like you may have a broken throttle cable. squeeze the throttle lever and look down at the throttle bodies and look for the butterflies and see if they are opening. *you may need a mirror.

Awesome! I'll take a closer look at the connection in the engine. At the time I was mostly concerned it was a carb problem, but seems like an adjustment or cable will be an easy fix.

Thanks!

Remove the 10 mm bolt that connects the forward airbox "scoop" and pull it out. That will give you some more room. Or pull the airbox out/towards back of ski. That will give you even more, much needed room!

you have a single throttle body on this ski, and you will have to remove the top part of air box, sliding clips to remove upper half, then take 6 bolts - (allen head) to remove the bottom half of air box and the flame arrestor, push it forward to gain acess and look and see what has happened, possibly broken ???? just remember when you repair and/or replace cable, that after you adjust the throttle cable, you will have to also adjust the oil pump drive cable

Turns out the piece of plastic that holds the cable in place inside the handlebar broke off. So when you squeeze the throttle, the whole cable assembly moves with the squeeze. Of course, the plasitc on the throttle body is broken which holds it in place.

A simple wire tie / pipe clamp to the steering wheel will hold it in place.

Thank you for your help and suggestions! I did see some fraying where it connects to the engine, so it's only a matter of time before it breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back