Thought I would share my new towing rig

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims5543

Joking!! It is a 1978 Mini Cooper Pickup Truck. 1275cc engine making 60HP on a good day. It does weigh 1300 lbs so it has that and it gets 40 MPG which is good because it has a 7 gallon gas tank.

I am also wondering if there are any other British car enthusiasts on here. I mean it goes well with a boat, always needing something, right?

Long story short, this kind of fell in my lap, I have been begging a friend for 5 years to sell me his and he will not. He received an email from a guy who was looking to sell this one and he put us in touch. The timing was perfect, I had recieved a small inheritance and it was almost exactly the asking price for this truck so I jumped on it. My buddy restores these as a hobby / side business when he is not playing a commercial airline pilot.

The back story is my grandfather owned a BMC repair shop in Manhattan in the 50's-70's. He serviced these cars when they were the cool cars to own. He decided to retire in 1976 because he felt the Japanese cars were going to take over the market. His partner (also a WW2 Vet) disagreed claiming America would never forget Peal Harbor. (insert snarky image here)

So anyway, a few pics,

This is after I cleaned it up real good, my mom came to see it, she was very emotional about it since it was something her father would have worked on in his shop.

50.jpg

Dirty front shot the day the shipper dropped it off:
51.jpg

and the rear:
52.jpg

Also, pickups were never imported to the US so this is a British model:
53.jpg

My grandfather on the left and and his partner in from of a Morris delivery van they owned:
54.jpg

Circa early 70's in his shop:
55.jpg

56.jpg

A buddy of mine is doing the vinyl for it, he was proposing something modern on the verge of a vehicle wrap but I wanted to rock it old school with some lettering that would be more in line with the era of the car so we went for option 2.
57.jpg

On the rear below the euro tag is going to have this lettered up, the man was a huge influence on me when I was a child and teen and a big part of making me who I am today. This truck has a lot of meaning to me. Ironically he would never own a British car because he felt they were rubbish.

58.jpg

That is one nice cool looking truck. I never knew that Cooper made P/U truck.
I can only imagine what the shipping costs were from England to Florida.

Also nice tribute to your GF.

Post a pic of the motor. :)

That is one nice cool looking truck. I never knew that Cooper made P/U truck.
I can only imagine what the shipping costs were from England to Florida.

Also nice tribute to your GF.

Post a pic of the motor. :)

I should have been clear, it was shipped from Austin Texas, someone prior to me shipped it across the pond. To be honest, it is almost cheaper to do that since the cars themselves go for much less and the shipping is not that much more.

Here is an engine shot, also it has working A/C which is huge for me here in Florida.

Edit better pic.
59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's righteous! The Mini is probably the only British vehicle I would own---possibly an early Jag XK120(If I hit the lottery). I'm more of a Kraut-Wagen guy or a Fox body Mustang (79-86).

Here's my 58 I restored and have logged about 1800 miles since 2004 when I completed it. I showed it a lot the first 3-4 years and from there it goes to get ice cream and to drop the kids off at school and pick them up from school. I'll never restore another car like this, I'm too afraid something is going to happen and have way too much money tied up into it. From here on out it's killer drivetrain, decent interior, and crap paint. I want to be able to drive a car anywhere, rain, snow, hail, park at the mall, get a door ding, flog in it in a field and know that I had fun with it. My bug, just sits covered and un-enjoyed. Still nice to just uncover it and admire the work I put into it though.

Congrats on the awesome score, love the RHD cars!

268.jpg

269.jpg

Very cool!!! Congratulations on your purchase. I've always had a personal policy that I won't buy a car from a country that we've been at war with. However since it's been a few years, 1812, I gave the Brits a pass on this.

I've owned, a bug eye Sprite, a Nash Met, a MG B, MG Midget, a Jaguar XK150 and a Triumph TR4A. All of them were great little cars, I think my favorite was the TR4A because it didn't have the crappy Lucas electrics, it had Bosch.

I know it was to meet US safety standards, but I thought they ruined these car with the big clunky black bumpers and the air pumps they started putting on them in the early 70's, but since yours was an import I guess it didn't count.

Interesting on your Mini Cooper how the steering column is almost in the center, also the transverse engine, all of mine were rear wheel drive.

Lou

The vehicle is very cool. Even more so that you have a family attachment to it.

Nice looking,,,

That's righteous! The Mini is probably the only British vehicle I would own---possibly an early Jag XK120(If I hit the lottery). I'm more of a Kraut-Wagen guy or a Fox body Mustang (79-86).

Here's my 58 I restored and have logged about 1800 miles since 2004 when I completed it. I showed it a lot the first 3-4 years and from there it goes to get ice cream and to drop the kids off at school and pick them up from school. I'll never restore another car like this, I'm too afraid something is going to happen and have way too much money tied up into it. From here on out it's killer drivetrain, decent interior, and crap paint. I want to be able to drive a car anywhere, rain, snow, hail, park at the mall, get a door ding, flog in it in a field and know that I had fun with it. My bug, just sits covered and un-enjoyed. Still nice to just uncover it and admire the work I put into it though.

Congrats on the awesome score, love the RHD cars!

Great looking Bug (or Beetle? Never sure) My wife is dying for a Ghia Vert, it was her dream car in High School and I am toying with trading the RX8 we own for a restored one on Samba that has been for sale for ever. If the seller is willing to trade.

This Mini is a 20 foot car, looks good until you get really close then you see some surface rust spots, and as you see in the pictures not so good seams on the body parts.

It is unique and my plan is for it to be a rolling billboard. It gets it picture taken everywhere I go with it, so my company name needs to be on it pronto!! This week hopefully.

I had a 1972 Bug when I was a teen, it was a fun little car, I needed to take a socket wrench with me at all times to tighten back up the head studs on it when the loosened up. LOL! Never crossed my mind to fix it.

Very cool!!! Congratulations on your purchase. I've always had a personal policy that I won't buy a car from a country that we've been at war with. However since it's been a few years, 1812, I gave the Brits a pass on this.

I've owned, a bug eye Sprite, a Nash Met, a MG B, MG Midget, a Jaguar XK150 and a Triumph TR4A. All of them were great little cars, I think my favorite was the TR4A because it didn't have the crappy Lucas electrics, it had Bosch.

I know it was to meet US safety standards, but I thought they ruined these car with the big clunky black bumpers and the air pumps they started putting on them in the early 70's, but since yours was an import I guess it didn't count.

Interesting on your Mini Cooper how the steering column is almost in the center, also the transverse engine, all of mine were rear wheel drive.

Lou

My father had a 1972 Dodge colt in the mid 70's which was a Mitsubishi car. My grandfather would just shake his head at it every time he saw it.

I have been a Rotor head since I was a teen having owned 7 different RX7's and now an RX8 over the years. Made in Hiroshima Japan. My Grandfather quietly suffered when I talked about them.

I figure if I have the attachments to own a rotary car long term, then this British car and lucas electronics should be easy.

Plus, I am amazed by how cheap the parts are, I just got a box from England (weighs 70 lbs) which cost me $500 full of parts. I will take a pic by the weekend show what $500 got me.

Also this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini

If you are interested in seeing how the car came to be, the engine was initially from a RWD BMC vehicle and turned sideways to save space. The orders were to make a car that measured 4'x4'x10' long with the passenger compartment taking up 6 feet of the length. The engine was turned sideways to save space and the fan actually pulls hot engine air over the radiator into the wheel well to exit. Not the most efficient engine cooling.

Glad the AC condenser is far away from the radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been enjoying the fantastic Florida winter (and neglecting my problematic Sea Doo) to sort out this little sucker. I LOVE to drive it around, it is a blast to drive. I also found out I actually have a 90HP motor upgrade.

I found my truck here when searching for images of minis online to show a local custom vinyl guy I hired to make me a cover.

http://www.plmini.com/proj_pickup.htm

I put a 123 Distributor in it and got rid of the points and condenser dizzy. I also discovered she was running on 3 cylinders.

I decided to adjust the valves when I was installing the 123 Dizzy and found this:
150.jpg

After adjusting I am still not happy, I think the rockers are shot so I bought this trick little rocker setup that makes the valves lift a little more:
151.jpg

I discovered the gas gauge is not accurate, a local Mini owner stopped to help me out, I was 1 mile from my house so my son ran a half gallon of gas to me so I could get to the gas station. I now carry a leak proof can in the bed.
152.jpg

I used it at work, which is why I bought it.
153.jpg

I got it lettered up with my company name:
154.jpg

and the tribute to my grandfather on the back:
155.jpg

Now, all the boat stuff on the back was bothering me, the rails around the bed, the "roll bar" that looks like it should be on a boat. The diamond plate that belongs..... well... no where...

So I went to work and removed the roll bar and deck rails.
156.jpg

Looks better already...
157.jpg

Then I had a local boat guy (ironic?) make me some tonneau covers for her, Black and White..

158.jpg

159.jpg

Lots more work to do but it is heating up real good here in Florida, so I need to do some small things on the boat next week so we can start going out.

Sweet ride! I am going to move this over to 'Trailers, Trucks and Towing' where it should get more attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back