This xp is going to make me crazy (crazier) Shaft problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricechr

My kids and I picked up an old 1992 XP model 5851. I very cool ski with a rotax engine.
It ran fine for a while then the shaft started to slip between the flywheel and drive shaft.
I took the unit apart and found that the rubber plugs were missing from the ends of the shafts.
I replaced the plugs and it still slips.
I then replaced the shaft as it was a little worn.
When i went to install the new shaft it did not align with the flywheel so i shimmed the motor mounts. it worked for a little while but still the shaft moved and it slipped.
Why is there so much play between the shaft and the flywheel????

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
My kids and I picked up an old 1992 XP model 5851. I very cool ski with a rotax engine.
It ran fine for a while then the shaft started to slip between the flywheel and drive shaft.
I took the unit apart and found that the rubber plugs were missing from the ends of the shafts.
I replaced the plugs and it still slips.
I then replaced the shaft as it was a little worn.
When i went to install the new shaft it did not align with the flywheel so i shimmed the motor mounts. it worked for a little while but still the shaft moved and it slipped.
Why is there so much play between the shaft and the flywheel????

Chris

The bearings seam tight there is no movement in the shaft except laterally that is it does not go up and down or left to right it only slips toward the motor or away from the motor and towards the pump. when it shifts toward the pump it moves enough to slide out of the coupling on the flywheel and slip.

whoa, thats a lot of movement.
Is that the right shaft for the ski?? You say it ran fine for a while? whats a while??
Don't know there. Do you have a manual??

My son said that the shaft slipped when he had it under heavy torque.
By #4 bearing do you mean the carrier bearing?
Could the whole unit be flexing??

i did grease it but i didnt check it other than to look at it. it seams ok but when i take it apart i could check it for slop

yep,
If you find its bad. upgrade to carbon seal insted of packed beraing carrier....
If bearing locks up it will sink you ski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back