third broken rave valve 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danosll

IMG_20150801_195119.jpg
okay so ive broken 3 rave valves on the same cyl. in the past year(both oem and SBT). 2 at shaft 1 blade in half. have changed valve housings and soft parts. but the problem is in the actual guillotine bore itself. IMG_20150801_175908.jpg . stock bore piston +rings and cylinder are in great shape View attachment 32054 compression is 150+..i thought about having it welded, too hard to reach and too thin. thought maybe high temp jb weld or devcon. now i leaning on a replacement cyl and if possible pressing good sleeve out of my bad cyl and pressing it into a good used cyl. that way i can salvage my piston, possibly even my rings. anybody have any suggestions . im open to any ideas

I've seen them shatter... but not just bend like that.

Personally... I would use a small TIG head, and weld a bead into the guide. And then file it clean. I understand about it being a tight fit... but that's how it always is when welding on engine parts.

im goning to have a welding shop i deal with look at it monday. i dont think they will be able to get to it. what about pressing my good cylinder into a used barrel. that way i can use my piston and rings and be back on the water this weekend. like i said my compression is good.150 piston and cyl are real nice

I doubt you can get the sleeve out without destroying it. Even if you do... when it goes into the new jug... it will deform a little... and it will need re-machined.

These engines aren't like some of the large diesel's I've seen, where the sleeve is truly the "Cyl".

Are you still using the original rave housings? If so, I can just about guarantee they're sloppy and worn out. Also, what does the area where the guillotine rests against the cylinder look like? Is there a depression? It should be flat and smooth. The further worn that surface is the close the guillotine is to the piston.

I doubt you can get the sleeve out without destroying it. Even if you do... when it goes into the new jug... it will deform a little... and it will need re-machined.

These engines aren't like some of the large diesel's I've seen, where the sleeve is truly the "Cyl".

even if i cut off the old cyl. put the sleeve in freezer overnight ,replacement cyl in toaster oven , then press in?

Are you still using the original rave housings? If so, I can just about guarantee they're sloppy and worn out. Also, what does the area where the guillotine rests against the cylinder look like? Is there a depression? It should be flat and smooth. The further worn that surface is the close the guillotine is to the piston.

housings were changed end of last season and i have broken 2 valves with new housing IMG_20150801_195119.jpgsee how the valve is worn out toward guillotine View attachment IMG_20150801_175744.jpg and the bore is worn looking out from inside cyl

Yeah, your rave area is beat to piss. That will allow the guillotine to protrude further into the bore. The guillotine only has 0.5mm of clearance to the piston in a stock bore cylinder. I'll say if that depression is much greater than that that could be where your problems could be stemming from. I see the slots are worn severely too. I'll guess you have a ton of hours on this engine. I know it doesn't look like the piston has hit the valve, but they just don't bend on their own.

Here is you cylinder

attachment.php

Probably the best bet. If you can find one with a clean standard bore just run a ball hone thru it and I'd put new rings on it. Between the cylinders on the gasket there is a series of holes, that's the thickness of the gasket you'll need.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

thanks racer. i just now read in my manual how to determine thickness of base gasket.so i know mine is .4mm. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back