Thinking about putting a 657 in 92 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoodle

I'm thinking about replacing my blown up 580 with a cheap 657 I found. I just have some questions that I am unable to find the answers online. First off, what adjustments/modification do I need to make to the cooling system? I noticed on the 657 that there are 2 ports on the head and an additional port on the exhaust near the water box. Secondly, do I have to change the pitch of the impeller due to the larger engine? Can I just put the twin carbs with the manifold from the 580 and put them on 657, or will I have to change the jets on the carbs? Anyways, a rebuild of the 580 would cost me $350. The guy wants $250 for the 657. I also have another guy who is selling a good 580 for $300. Is the 657 worth it? I apologize for asking a boatload of questions in one thread haha. Other notes, the 580 is white and the 657 is a 657, not a 657x, so I know the stator wires will match with the electronics.

The water routing can be worked out easily enough but the carbs are different. I do think you could use the 587 carbs if you re-jetted them but the intake manifold from the 657 should be used because it is properly aligned with the intake ports. All the prices are close enough that I would just look for the freshest and most complete engine. It would be great if you could get something that has run correctly recently otherwise your going to need to go through the entire fuel system. That should probably be done anyway especially if you have not yet determined the cause of failure on your blown 587.

Yes you should get a 657 impeller if you have a 657 but your 587 impeller will work. You may just hit your rev limiter at wide open throttle and be missing a couple mph of top speed. If you buy an engine with it's own carbs 3then make sure the throttle and choke cable attaches the same as yours or that's a surprise expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back