Thick exhaust and idle speed troubleshooting!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechorepko

[video=youtube_share;Bghcb0no35Y]http://youtu.be/Bghcb0no35Y[/video]This is the third test run I've taken my 96 Sea Doo gtx out on and I've encountered some problems. Let me start from the beginning. I bought this thing about 2 weeks ago. changed the oil, oil filter, rebuilt carburetors, new battery, added star tron fuel treatment, new spark plugs, etc. As of now the machine starts up right away perfectly. The two problems I'm currently having are a thick, white exhaust and bogging out when rpm's rev too high. I'm linking a video of the problem to my youtube account. Check it out and tell me what you think. http://youtu.be/Bghcb0no35Y

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, when you did the carbs did you hook the oil injection cable back up correctly?? And did you adjust it so it's set properly as per the manual?

The white smoke might be from fuel additive... DON'T use that! The detergents that clean break down the oil. As far as the bogging out when you rebuilt carbs did you change gray fuel lines?? Are you running fresh gas? Also change voltage regulator. As far as fresh gas did you dump old gas or just add fresh to old? Good luck ...others will chime in

since you just bought this -
1. what is the compression in each cylinder....should be close to 150 PSI.
2. what oil are you using and also are you running the oil injection system or using premix?
3. The white smoke is pretty normal up to a point. Could be that you are using too much oil.
4 bogging down...do you have the gray tempo fuel lines???.... If yes then change them out ASAP, for black auto fuel lines....1/4 inch and add an inline fuel filter a Fram G-2.
5 Did you replace the needles and seats during the carb rebuild? USE only OEM parts for a carb rebuild.
6. Did you clean or replace the carb filters?
7. are you using any old gas from PO?

BTW, nice ski, I have the same one also in green.

Yeah I've heard from a few different people not to use fuel additives which I won't be using in the future. I didn't change the fuel lines yet which I will need to do. Currently have grey lines hooked up. I added fresh gas to the little gas that was in the tank when I bought it 2 weeks ago.

1. Have yet to test cylinder compression
2. using oil injection system. as far as oil type i'm not sure. whatever oil the dealership sold me.
3. too much oil is a possibility
4. still have grey lines. need to change out for black lines.
5. needles and seats weren't replaced. did not come in the carb rebuild kit.
6. carb filters were replaced
7. some old fuel was used but not much. filled up completely before taking out on the lake for the first time.

Gray lines could be the bogging problem as the lines clog up or the carb filters are dirty too.

I'm fairly certain the carb filters are clean, but I'm sure they'll clog up soon If I don't switch out the grey lines

The startron is an enzyme treatment for alcohol. I'm sure the filters are plugged because of it.

Before you worry about ANYTHING... change the gray fuel lines, clean the fuel select switch, the fuel strainer, and the carbs.

I hate to say it but cleaning the carbs, not replacing the gray line, then adding an additive that probably caused gunk to loosen up from the grey lines, I'd say you wasted your time cleaning the carbs. That is probably still the problem.

Also no compression test means you do not know if there are more serious problems. That would be another thing to test before going much further.

And adding new fuel to old fuel is not a good idea. If the old fuel was ethanol gas and had separated into ethanol, water (absorbed because of the ethanol) and low octane gas, then adding new gas will not cause the water layer to go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I added the fuel additive was to eliminate the water in the fuel problem. You're right about the fuel lines though. I actually just took it to a shop today to have them diagnose it. If they tell me the carbs are gummed up again I'm going to be pissed! I'll keep you guys posted and let you know what the shop says so you can rub it in my face it you all were right ;)

That's actually a really good question. I noticed the oil injection cable will pull when I pull the throttle but won't retract when I let off. It's possible it may not be set right?

It's possible it may not be set right?

216.jpg

The reason I added the fuel additive was to eliminate the water in the fuel problem. You're right about the fuel lines though. I actually just took it to a shop today to have them diagnose it. If they tell me the carbs are gummed up again I'm going to be pissed! I'll keep you guys posted and let you know what the shop says so you can rub it in my face it you all were right ;)

Please do let us know. We probably wouldn't even rub your face in it :)

Just got my ski out from the shop. Basically the whole fuel system was clogged up. Grey fuel lines were replaced and fuel valve. Also there was an in-line fuel filter installed which wasn't supposed to be there apparently. Most likely put in from the previous owner. Everything else should be good. Carbs were already rebuilt by yours truly. I'm taking it out in a couple days. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back