They Stole our Sea-Doos ...Right off the Lake!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

3ftDeep

The video says it all. Some of you down south will wonder how we can ride without an anti-theft device, but boat theft up here is very rare. In fact, the police we reported the theft to said she hadn't heard of a single boat theft (off the lake) in the 10 years she worked as a cop. Just our luck ...

https://youtu.be/4BedP8Jb0VI

This is the main reason to have good insurance. Simply report them, get the money, and replace them...

Yes, but replacing them isn't that easy when you've just started your vacation. Both Chris and I went out and got SPOT Traces when we got back. If it happens again, I'd rather know where they are so I can recover them. Turns out my house insurance covers part of the replacement cost. Only $4k, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

wow! i'm sorry to hear that! the spot traces is a great idea. hope the insurance will cover all or most of the loss.

Locals. Psychologically, victims of crime want to believe that "someone else" from WAY FAR AWAY came around and just happened to see and then steal something. Almost never true.

What's almost always true is that your immediate neighbors did it. They are the ones that know when you are up, asleep, moving around, have dogs, likely to be armed, how many of you there are, etc...

It's your next door neighbors. Yes, those people. The one with the 20-something ne-er-do-well son that "used to have a drug problem", but "he's all better now", even though he doesn't work, still lives with his parents and has very odd hours, sleeping in the middle of the day and doing who-knows-what in the middle of the night. He'll tell you he's a "night owl" or "nocturnal" which translates directly to "meth addict". Most of it it is right there in front of you and if you had been paying attention you'd have seen it long before this happened, but now that it's happened the question is whether or not you are going to see it.

That's so sad that people do this...

What's everyone pay for insurance? Just curios if I'm paying too much..

Turns out my home insurance (through CDI) covers up to $4k of the loss. Not bad for no additional premiums. Better to have a SPOT Trace, though so you can recover the skis right away, instead of going through the hassle of the insurance company when you get back from vacation!

That's awful. What lake were you on? Osoyoos? I've anchored my 2 on buoys on Shuswap for 5 years and
thankfully no issues but how do I know they haven't seen scoped out.....perhaps the age of mine tends to have these assholes go elsewhere for the newer ones. Was thinking of upgrading but maybe not....I looked at the SPOT trace. Have to look again obviously.

Yep, Osoyoos. No doubt Chris's new, bright yellow ski attracted the attention. My machine was just floating there minding its own business. Collateral theft, I think. SPOT Trace has a mail in rebate offer on now which gets you $60 cash back. So, they're actually half price ($119 at London Drugs). We also ordered the waterproof DC cable so it doesn't rely on the batteries. If it's ever cut or detached, the batteries will kick in. I'm very impressed with the quality of the product, and both mine and Chris's tested out great. Take care.

That's awful. What lake were you on? Osoyoos? I've anchored my 2 on buoys on Shuswap for 5 years and
thankfully no issues but how do I know they haven't seen scoped out.....perhaps the age of mine tends to have these assholes go elsewhere for the newer ones. Was thinking of upgrading but maybe not....I looked at the SPOT trace. Have to look again obviously.

It's about $600 per year where we are, with $1,000 deductible.

Are you using Premier Marine? Granted I purposely value the machines lower but I pay $350 year with $100 deductible and $1m liability. I only really
want the liability. I found Premier's fine print to be far better than most especially when another rider is using the seadoo.

I haven't carried insurance, but I believe Premier is just over $600 per year for $14k replacement coverage. Not sure what the liability is, but it's probably $1m or $2m. I agree with your finding that Premier is better than the others.

I'm sure my lower valuation is the reason for the lower cost but as I say I wanted the liability. I can afford (but not like) a loss of the machine but a lawsuit
I couldn't handle. Even though it's only me and my wife riding the machines 90% of the time, sh*t happens with liability. It's a rip that you can't just get the liability.

Thank you ,I am going to follow up on this for more than the Jetskis sorry for delay , I was back on the water testing the GTX.

Are you using Premier Marine? Granted I purposely value the machines lower but I pay $350 year with $100 deductible and $1m liability. I only really
want the liability. I found Premier's fine print to be far better than most especially when another rider is using the seadoo.

I got quotes from Premier and Beacon. I went with Beacon even though they were $100 per year more than Premier, Premier only cover theft out of a locked facility where Beacon it was along the lines of taking reasonable precautions against theft. Beacon cost me $605 for a year with an insured value of $14K and a $1K deductible. Beacon were very good to deal with through the whole process and were ready to cut me a cheque for the full insured value and because it was a total loss the deductible did not apply. I got a call from the adjuster wanting to payout the claim the morning after I got the call from the RCMP that they were found.

We put our insurance through farm bureau. I have a $500 deductible and $13k insured value. The cost is about $370 for the year. Liability is not in that policy but is covered by our homeowners for an extra $40 per year on the house insurance.

I got quotes from Premier and Beacon. I went with Beacon even though they were $100 per year more than Premier, Premier only cover theft out of a locked facility where Beacon it was along the lines of taking reasonable precautions against theft. Beacon cost me $605 for a year with an insured value of $14K and a $1K deductible. Beacon were very good to deal with through the whole process and were ready to cut me a cheque for the full insured value and because it was a total loss the deductible did not apply. I got a call from the adjuster wanting to payout the claim the morning after I got the call from the RCMP that they were found.

They were found?? Details please? How, what kind of shape etc etc.

They were found?? Details please? How, what kind of shape etc etc.

The Seadoos were recovered by the RCMP three weeks after they went missing they were found in a marsh area covered in reeds at the North end of the lake apparently some kayakers found them along with one other ski that was also stolen that night. We were staying South of the bridge since the lake flows North to South there was no way they drifted they were purposely taken then abandoned. The ski was dirty from sitting in the marsh and was covered in finger print dust I had the keys so it was not ridden, no additional hours on the display, all my stuff was still in the glove box and storage bin and it still had a full tank of gas. After a good cleanup there are some scratches on the hull and staining on the seat which I am dealing with insurance to get repaired.

I was one day away from getting a pay out from insurance and getting a new 2016 RXT-X 300 I considered trading this in on a 2016 but the dollar difference was getting up there and I could not justify the extra since the 2015 is basically undamaged. Marios Seadoo was found in the same condition but he had some life jackets and other items missing from his storage compartment.

GPS trackers are getting cheaper and cheaper. I am tempted to put them on my two ski's. All the places we go have great Cell Phone coverage. We could vector in the police rather quickly. We have satellite tracker's on our ambulances. Some Drunk stole one. Dispatch was able to give the police the location and every turn to them.

GPS trackers are getting cheaper and cheaper. I am tempted to put them on my two ski's. All the places we go have great Cell Phone coverage. We could vector in the police rather quickly. We have satellite tracker's on our ambulances. Some Drunk stole one. Dispatch was able to give the police the location and every turn to them.

I now have a Spot Trace hidden in the hull.

Back