The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the oem plastic pads for the outline and cut with scissors from firestone "heavy duty" . Worked well.

He is trying to make side pads that protect your ankle bone bulge not the bottom pad like the stock mats.

Can't you just use thick poster board for templates?

Personally I only ride in PWC high ankle boots and never had an issue or thought I needed the ankle pads on a ski. Now that I think about it maybe I do. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just run turf down the sides. I used cardboard for the template. I still have it too, LOL.

65.jpg

66.jpg

Ive had machines with both HT like Dan's ski, and the foam blocks HT sells. I personally like the blocks but they need to be glued on to actually hold, and once you do that good luck getting the glue back off if you need to.

They are alot like stirrups on a horse...something to hold you to the ski.

Unfortunately my brother hates the blocks, and rips them off if he rides my ski. Princess.

Cutting it is a bitch. Make a template cit it out just bigger than you need. I used an exacto knife. Coarse grit sand paper will clean up the edges.

yip, I used an exacto knife on mine on two occasions and it worked out fine.

the idea of saving the plastic backing that was mentioned above isn't a half bad idea to use them as a template for future builds.

Honestly I'm not sure if I really noticed the difference much but I was far from a hard core buoy rider and wave jumper just running river twisties and dodging crap traps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it on an X4 that was for sale in Hawaii, claimed to be a pro racer ski, but I don't have any pics of it.
Something like this would be ideal:

Now that I look at it that might be a Jet Trim product.....

I haven't installed my 3M backed HT mats yet and I'm now thinking about getting JT mats. From what I've heard they don't respond well to neglect, just like their seat covers, but are they otherwise decent and function properly? I'm thinking about getting a matching set to the pads they're making.

I'm not a big fan of the JT mats personally. I've never installed them myself though. I know [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] uses them a lot.

hrm, well I got an email from Jettrim saying they couldn't find the template for the tunnel mats I want so I can either provide them one or return to my original plan of using turf. Here's what I'm after:
83.jpg

the only issue is I am definitely not an artist. I am going to take this to the interior shop that redid my Supra. They do custom seadeck work.

the only issue is I am definitely not an artist. I am going to take this to the interior shop that redid my Supra. They do custom seadeck work.

Go to Michael's or AC Moore and buy some tracing vellum. Then trace the actual profile of the ski, easier to see thru than cardboard. Then find a block of what ever width you want to offset from the line you traced and follow it all the way around. Or you could drill a hole in a small block of wood and insert a pencil in it and use the edge of the block to follow it around. Small block to follow the profile better. Then transfer to cardboard. Probably take you about 30 minutes. This way you're duplicating the exact profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back