The truth about ses...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnetonka4me

Premium Member
Premium Member
I figured it was time to call this clown show out for what it is. Previously we have had debates about this company and my opinion was not great but I had not had any personal experience so I could only go by what was posted by others.

Last summer my friend bought a 03 sportster le with a "fully rebuilt motor in the package" the price was right and my friend didn't bother to pull the engine out of the box. It's a fully rebuilt motor right?

So I pulled it out of the container and this is what we found.

121.jpg

122.jpg

The weld looked like a 3 year old did it. The crack on the bottom was painted over. So I called Tom and my first question was do you pressure test all your motors? The answer was "every motor" so then we yelled at each other for about 30 minutes. All I could do was laugh because he had no idea what I had, he had not seen it yet. He finally agreed to take the motor back and fix it. I sent out a mint set of cases bc there was no way I trusted his repair work.

So I sent it in and I get a call from tom about a week later. He says first that he had some problems with employees and that they werent doing their jobs right. Then he states that he looked up "his notes" on the motor and that he had called the customer to tell him the cases were unusable and the customer told him "I'm selling it anyways, just put it together"

Then... He asks me do I want this "race head" on my motor and proceeds to tell me the customer paid extra to have a hot rods crank put in. I told him I want stock compression. I asked why it had a "race head" and he proceeded to tell me that the customer paid extra for it. Wait....your telling me he paid extra for a "race motor" but didnt care that the cases were junk? OK Tom... Sure.

So at that point all I wanted was a good motor for my friend so he could use the boat. Tom was fairly quick, we got it 3 weeks later and paid all shipping. I'll give him that.

Full disclosure: after this first replacement, Tom started buying core parts from me and I felt like I was dealing with the devil... But engine parts were stacking up and he was offering good money for parts headed to the scrap pile.

Back to the story... We put it in and it lasted about 6 hours before the crank took a shit and blew out the cases. The pistons had not a scratch on them. So I had to send another set of cases in to get another motor. When he got it, he claimed that side was not getting oil. I asked him how the pistons had no scratches if that was true and he had no answer.

Again... Turnaround time was fast and he paid all the shipping.

My friend sold the boat and luckily we didn't hear back with any issues.

Then this spring this motor/machine got sold to me.

123.jpg

Nice weld job! Motor lasted a few hours, guy I bought it from stated to me ses wound not return his call.

Jason v told me story around the same time so I decided enough was enough and I called him, and called him out on these two issues. I don't know if he did anything for Jason, I know he called the other guy and told him he would send him a check. The other guy called and thanked me, I told him not to hold his breath and to call me if he actual gets a check... I never got that call.

I told Tom he's a ****ing hack and told him I'm done with him. He thought I was joking and egged me that included all the core parts he was buying.... Yup. I'd rather get $5 in scrap then to work with a guy with zero integrity.

What I can't understand is why any engine builder would send out a motor that is going to fail, esp if you aren't sbt and subsidizing your warranty with crazy shipping fees?? Tom told me he was forced to weld cases bc customers would demand engines at the eBay price even though his ad stated he needed good core parts to honor the price.

There aren't alot of options for motors... But if you are asking me who to use, it would never be Ses.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a real shame that there is not a reliable and quality supplier as 2-strokes engines are a definite need.

In 4 more years I retire and I'd build a shop to do these kind of things. It keeps me healthy to stay busy and I would feel good about sending out quality product...

Tom paid me for a set of cases and a counterbalance shaft and that solved the issues that I had at the time. And got the engine right back to me. I also called him after I smoked three engines at Florida meet and he paid the shipping for me when it was my fault they blew.

Good to hear he resolved the issue for you Jason. I will give him credit for the turnaround time and covering shipping on my issues too, but my main question is how it makes financial sense to send a motor out with shoddy weld jobs.

I just installed an engine from him and I was not impressed. He had a used WSM rv on there that had it's grooves sanded down, was peened on the shaft and was no longer flat, and was way out of time. The case sealant looked like it was squeezed out of a caulk gun and was used between the cases and the mag cover where a gasket is supposed to be. The corrosion on the cases was not blasted but just painted over.

To me it looked like a big "FU" from SES to this poor guy he sent it to and I told him so. My buddy was like "but he only charged me seven hundred bucks, he cuts me a special deal". Two days later another buddy told me "he only charges me six hundred and something". That guy is also sending an engine back.

So what I can see from my own experience this month is that the guy is willing to fill customers full of crap about special pricing and "performance" options. He is also OK with sending out engines that should embarrass anyone with integrity.

Some folks seem to get a decent engine and/or good warranty service while others get crap and get ignored. He talks about a "state of the art shop" but one guy google earthed him and he is in his garage behind the house. The dude does not realize what a small group of smart people he is actually dealing with so his antics expose him.

Wow... I was considering sending him a 787 for the convenience factor,but I guess I'll keep building my own junk after reading all that.

My 2 cents....i send him a 951 1st and had no problems at all..it has 30hrs on it. I then sent him a 787 i got it back in 4 weeks but it was not blasted like it should of been. I now have 7hrs on the engine. I sent him another 951 and im waiting on that one still...i do have two more 787's to do lol. He has been good to me but im in contact with him every other day about the engines. Just sucks because i just dont have the time to do them my self..

S'cribed. You cant send welded cases out like that and an massive crack in it not welded and not expect to get called out. Even if his customer said screw it I'm selling it, its still SES's reputation on the line, especially when a seadoo freak like tonka get his hands on that piece of art he posted up. Wtf, is that soilder? Matt said at the lake george meet up, you just gotta build it your self. With SBT being the other option, I'll add what ever tools to my fleet that I need, take my time, come here for answers, and get it done right. From what I have read on here and talked to a few folks about it seems you might get it back in a few weeks or 6 months, with a spread like that you could loose your whole summer if you dont have a spare ski, or live in Florida. If customers are demanding the ebay price and thats not working out for you, stop selling them on ebay, thats pretty simple. Also seems like you are having employee problems, you would fix that as well, also not rocket surgery, "You're fired because youre ruining my reputation," again not that hard, replacing them....that's the hard part. What I have learned here: do it your self, with an OEM crank. Its scary to some folks, but its not a damn 4 stroke, there isnt alot to them

I've had a pretty good experience overall so far. I sent a 951 and 787 in last year right after thanksgiving. 787 I got back the 2nd week of January and looked great, and is running good with 15 hours on it and is still at about 164 psi each cyl. Just still trying to nail down my overheating issue on the EGTs at wot but have a spec II and not sure if these used Novis are an issue.

The 951 did take 6 months to get back and several phone calls but also looked great. It's running well with about 20 hours but it's been 10-12 psi lower on the mag cylinder ever since installed. I hoped it would creep up after break-in but no luck so I'll probably be sending in next year (2 year warranty).

I'll likely give him a call to send in another 787 soon so hopefully have no issues there as well.

First let me say that I have no experience with SES other than what I have read here.
Knowing nothing else I can't understand praising a shop that takes 6 month to do a rebuild, that is ridiculous. No way, no how should it take 6 months.

Well I'm just saying I didn't have the horrible experience some did. I was aggravated it took that long, but honestly I had the spx build going on so it didn't matter since all my time went into that build. I got my 951 about 2 weeks before I finished the spx project. If I was waiting around on the 951 for a build it would probably be different.

Reading about the 8+ month wait some had from the other place made me happy I didn't choose them.

In the end it's your $ so spend where you see fit I'm not trying to sway you just telling my experience. So far I haven't personally experienced anything to turn me away.

Seems like all the seadoo engine shops are a hit or miss. I've never used SES but I sent cylinders to Full Bore 4-5 years ago and they did a good job with a quick turn around. Yet others have had the opposite experience with them

+1 Wisky, I had fullbore do a set of cylinders a few years ago and they were fine and fast. They put a sleeve in one and the port match was not as good as I had hoped but it was a rec 720 so no big deal.

The one shop I can say is exceptional is Group K but they don't do rebuilds. I have them bore all my cylinders and they come back within a week and look perfect and they spend time getting the ports and chamfering perfect.

they spend time getting the ports and chamfering perfect.

That's key. Theres a bunch of shops in the Charlotte area that will do a $30-40 bore job but they don't chamfer the ports. I generally get CS performance or Champion powersports to do mine but they charge double that. You get what you pay for though!

I've had good luck w/them, and am on my 3rd engine (different engines). The ones they've done for me all run at the exact RPM/compression as a brand new 951 did for me.

Of course I didn't get as many hours as I wanted to in 2016, the river was too low and in 2017 we have a slip for our boat on the bay... so who knows if I'll get to jet ski :(.

Has anyone tried these guys in the States? See http://www.cvtech-aab.com/en/

I ordered an engine from them last year and it has worked flawlessly so far. I believe the engines are rebuilt in Quebec province but I see this company has also an address in Wisconsin.

Benji.

S'cribed. You cant send welded cases out like that and an massive crack in it not welded and not expect to get called out. Even if his customer said screw it I'm selling it, its still SES's reputation on the line, especially when a seadoo freak like tonka get his hands on that piece of art he posted up. Wtf, is that soilder? Matt said at the lake george meet up, you just gotta build it your self. With SBT being the other option, I'll add what ever tools to my fleet that I need, take my time, come here for answers, and get it done right. From what I have read on here and talked to a few folks about it seems you might get it back in a few weeks or 6 months, with a spread like that you could loose your whole summer if you dont have a spare ski, or live in Florida. If customers are demanding the ebay price and thats not working out for you, stop selling them on ebay, thats pretty simple. Also seems like you are having employee problems, you would fix that as well, also not rocket surgery, "You're fired because youre ruining my reputation," again not that hard, replacing them....that's the hard part. What I have learned here: do it your self, with an OEM crank. Its scary to some folks, but its not a damn 4 stroke, there isnt alot to them

You got it. As far as SBT my biggest sticking point is shitty parts and ridiculous shipping costs to cover their warranty. If I was local or about 2 hours away from them...I would have a much better opinion of them. I always wondered if they charged locals a warranty fee since they cant charge shipping.

Has anyone tried these guys in the States? See http://www.cvtech-aab.com/en/

I ordered an engine from them last year and it has worked flawlessly so far. I believe the engines are rebuilt in Quebec province but I see this company has also an address in Wisconsin.

Benji.

Yes, I used them a few years ago. Its a great option although they all speak french and its a bit hard to communicate. I had one motor have a carb butterfly screw fall in and they didnt want to warranty it even though they told me over the phone their warranty is the same as SBT. They did cover it though.

I agree Nick. The SBT gasket kits look like they are straight from China.
I am in California so even for their cranks with their shipping both ways they end up being more expensive than I can get an OEM one.

"Yes, I used them a few years ago. Its a great option although they all speak french and its a bit hard to communicate."

No one spoke English? This is rare here as the most second language spoken here is English. Maybe you just got unlucky.

Benji

I used both fullbore and ses. My ses engine did lock up the first time with in like 5 mins. The 2nd one my water line broke (my fault). The 3rd one I have is still running but I only have like 6 hours on it. It was a 657x engine. I am pretty sure Tom used my case. My engine was cleaned
And painted perfect. The 3rd one took awhile to get like 6 months or so. I paid normal price for the engine and Tom does cover shipping for the warranty work.

Fullbore I have 2 engines with them. Just got one back and it looks good. They do take longer but they use your engine for the core so you get back what you gave them. They did upgrade my engines for the best rebuild package and a 3 year warranty for the slowness issue.

I think all shops run in to the quality issues when they go too low on the engine price and get to many engines than what they can do. Me I don't want to pay eBay prices on engines if quality suffers. I really don't care if there shop is in there basement if they have the proper tools. I would like better estimates on the engine time with the shops or keep you in the loop when issues arise.

I never used SBT for engines so I am not sure how good the warranty is. SES does honor and bay to ship back the engine. I hope my fullbore ones I don't need to use the warranty.

I've never used tom but talked to him on the phone concerning my 96 engine and I hear the same stories year after year. After our phone conversations alone I wouldn't let him build my stuff. He called me weekly for 2 months, each week offering a lower and lower price. To me that sketch. It's cost X amount to build said engine and this is my price = done
I actually went with SBT on that ski, it was my first time using them. The ski ran flawless and ran dead on spec with an oem 787. Honestly if they would get their shipping in line they would be an excellent option. No they are not the absolute best quality engines on every single one but you see more SBT engines on the water today than anything else(older 2 strokes). They just rape you on shipping. They pay 17$ to ship it yet charge you 175$. That is unacceptable. Do not use shipping fees to subsidize your warranty work.

Also when he made several fake usernames on forums trying to give himself good reviews and got called out is another reason i steer clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back