The stereo journey begins! - Updated July 30th, now completed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Sako7STW

Well I finally have most of my stereo stuff in so now I can begin the install. I wont be able to do much till next week when I am off of shift. Here is a little picture of whats going in :hurray:

83.jpg

There is a few more items like the remote interface for the head unit. All Kicker except for the one Phoenix Gold amp. It was a really good deal, we will see how it works and if i dont like it, I will replace it with another Kicker amp. I am also adding a second battery (Kinetic) with relay to help with the power demands. I think I am going to do some interior lighting as well. Cant wait to hear it when it is done. I will try and add picks here as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like alot of quality stuff. Take lots of pics and if you have any questions just ask.I am excited to see how it turns out for ya. You say when you get off shift....what kind of work do you do?

I am an operator at a natural gas processing plant here in southwest WY. I work a 5 on 5 off 4 on 4 off, 12 hour a day schedule that alternates between graves and days. I come off my last graves on Monday morning. It's my short change though, By the time I get a few hours sleep monday, it really only is like a half day then i have to go dayshift friday. That may seam like alot of days off but it takes me a few days to just feel normal again. Feel like i am getting sick though, I hope not. that will drastically slow down install progress. I hope to be done before memorial weekend. It also WONT STOP SNOWING!!

Back in the early 90's I did alot of car audio. Competed in IASCA and USAC. I was partially sponsored by Kicker and a Car Audio shop out of Salt Lake. My biggest worries for this install is time, chargeing system capabilities, and if I have enough mid and tweet for in the boat. I want good sound quality for the whole boat at good volume levels. I hate having to crank a system and it sounds horrible like most boats so that everyone in the boat can hear it well. I would rather have more speakers to better disperse the sound for better coverage than have to crank it to clipping levels.

The 12" sub is going in a custom hidden fiberglass box i plan to build. That should be interesting! I think you guys will dig what I am doing there.

That sounds like a rough schedule. I am a firefighter and we work 24 hours on and 48 off, and always make comments like when i get off shift....so i thought maybe you were in that line of work. I think your charging system should be fine. With a capacitor and an extra battery, you should be good to go.

I just recently bought my boat, and I need to change out my stereo (The stock in the Challenger leaves a lot to be desired IMO).

Is all the stuff that you are putting in water-resistant/marine stuff? I was just curious as when I've been searching I haven't seen a lot of stuff like that.

Part of it is Marine. The silver 6 1/2's and tweets are along with the wake tower speakers, they are all Kicker marine. The silver Kicker amp is a marine 4 channel. The other 2 are standard but will be in a pretty safe location. The sub is normal car audio but of the high end variety, and takes a small box w/big power

Had to break up my posts since I was on my phone before now. The Kenwood head unit is marine, it is actually 2 parts. The stereo is mainly a face plate and my Ipod will go inside it which is a waterproof enclosure to protect my Ipod. The other half is a hideaway unit which is actually where the amp and electronics are. I like how it doesn’t need to be in one of those cases like most other units. I also got a wired remote for it that I will mount by the dashboard on the drivers side. I didn’t like having to tell my wife and kids to turn it up, or turn it down, or skip this song, etc. all the time. So I fixed that! It hasn’t came in yet so it isn’t in the picture.
Some advice I have found over the years. Save yourself some money and get on Ebay. I wont buy from anyone with less than 500 rep points and less than 98% positive feedback. If someone has something for say $175 and has a score of 98.5% and the next guy has a 100% but wants $180 I will buy the one that is $180. I also love the word refurbished. All my Dewalt tools are refurbs and never a problem but saved myself $500 over buying new. Everything in that picture cost me $1175 total. The amps and tower speakers are refurbs which saved me a ton of money and all still have warranty. The Phoenix Gold amp I bought off a local listing site for $50. Phoenix used to be really good stuff so I thought for $50 it was worth a try. Try and look mid range price level unless money is no object. Cheap is just that, cheap. Avoid the Walmart Sony Explode stuff. High end is just that, high end and you get what you pay for. I don’t have that kind of funding so I tried to get the best I could for what I could afford. This is where doing your homework comes into play. All the major components I got off of Ebay and NONE of them is below top grade quality but not necessarily very top of the line except the sub which is top of the line.
What I did is I built me a spreadsheet on Excel and I spent a good week just looking on the net at manufacturer sites and on ebay. I copied and pasted the links, put a description and price of each. I had already thoroughly went thru the boat to decide on what I could put where. I then made a list of what I wanted where and started copying and pasting in the different components until I had the price I wanted to be at with components I was satisfied with. Once that was done the wallet started to smoke. I then drew up a wiring chart that illustrated all the wires I was going to need and made a trip to Best Buy. The wiring diagram will help you not forget any wires you will need and you get down to the last wire and you don’t have it. FRUSTRATING!!
Best Buy…..lived up to its name this time for me. They were having a clearance sale on all of their Rockford Fosgate wiring. Long story short, they had someone that didn’t have a clue do their pricing and I ended up with all their high end stuff for dirt cheap. About $275 worth of stuff and I walked out paying $78 after taxes!! Example. The Capacitor in the pic has a reg price of $145.00 and is their top 1 farad model. I bought it for $35 and they had the low end one sitting next to it on clearance to and they wanted $89.99 for it LOL. Yah they don’t have a clue!

I hope this help you some Woman2Blame! Any questions, just hollar, be glad to help you find stuff or anything. Foster I think knows his stuff from what I can see as well as some others I have seen here so I think your at the right place!

Ebay is definitely the place to go. That is where I bought almost everyting. It would have normally cost like $2500 for all the audio stuff I bought and I got it all for under $1500 on there.

Wow... you guys are nutz with the sound installations. (in a good way) I can't bring myself to buy a simple $100 eBay system.

Post pics as you work. :cheers:

yeah, what foster said...dont bogart the pics...

It is funny you say not to Bogart the stuff. I thought that was a local term. I was surprised to see someone else say it. Now it makes me wonder where it originates from.

Woke up early today before heading out to work. Got the stock stereo out and removed some of the interior panels and the glove box. Now I need to figure out how to support the windshield so I can remove the passenger dash. Is on monday!

Yes please post pictures. Looks like you are going to have a very nice set up!

Out of curiosity, I just added up the MSRP's of all the system stuff so far. $3,875.40. Yep, Ebay and Best Buy were the way to go. Not bragging, like a "look what I got". I am just pointing out to others that good audio can be had for decent money.

Yeah it is amazing what you can save. I ended up spending about half of what most stores wanted retail price. The amp alone was 900 at any retailer. I got it on ebay for like 400.

Foster, I keep meaning to ask. What all do you have for your setup? What do you like about it and what would you do differently next time?

I ran into a possible problem today. I noticed some glue that looks like was used to hold the top of the dash down. If it is glued down I may have to rethink the sub install if I can't get it off. Didn't get to work on it, just got in to look at a few things.

I used a Claroin M475 Head unit. Really the reason I chose it was that it was the only head unit I could find that would control an ipod, have sirius capability and have 3 preamp outputs.

I have all 3 outputs going into a single amp. With the twin engine boat, I dont have a lot of room to spare. Nothing in the engine compartment really. I needed something that would power all the speakers and also fit in the storage compartment under the cooler. It really came down to only 1 amp I could find to fit these needs. I chose an Alpine PDX5M. It is able to power all 4 of the mid range speakers and is also 2 ohm stable, so the sub output powers both subs. And to make it even better, it is a digital power amp. so it is very efficient. I really based my whole setup around this amp. It was pretty expensive, but worth every penny.

For speakers I just chose Kicker because they make good quality stuff I have used before. I have 4 6.5's and then the 2 10" subs. I have another 6.5 component set that I may add to the bow of the boat and use the radio to power them, just havent done it yet.

I also bought all marine rated wiring including RCA cables. I later on added a 2nd battery. Took a lot of time and money, but it freakin rocks and I get a lot of compliments. I like it all and really wouldnt change a single thing.

You can follow what I did here:

http://seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=15966

Well I got some more done today. Not as much as I wanted to but I ended up having to major redesign on what I was putting where. I ended up having to make a couple trips to town to get the parts I was going to need as well. I was going to install the Sub in the passenger side dash under the glove box. I couldn't get the dash out so it would have been a nightmare getting a box built in there.

So now I mounted the amps in there. I had to cut the sides off of the Phoenix amp because I couldnt bolt it to the boat with the sides on it. So I took amy pneumatic die grinder with cutoff wheel and cut the sides off the amp. It was ugly, didnt turn out good but I didnt care, it was an ugly amp anyways. I took a pic before i cut it up and you can see the results in the dash picture. No I just hope it still works LOL. I then decided to stack mount the Kicker amps since they were exactly the same size and it would simplify the install. Was a bit of a pain but I like how it turned out and it is very functional. Actually I like that they are now mounted in the dash because they are rather protected there and that's good! So now the sub is going in the cubby hole behind the drivers seat on the side. Started taking things apart to have the room i need to do this butcher job LOL.

So here is some before and after pictures of what I have done so far:

Attachments

• Boat drivers side original.jpg
    Boat drivers side original.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 663
  • Boat drivers side no seat.jpg
    Boat drivers side no seat.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 633
  • Phoenix Gold Amp befor mod.jpg
    Phoenix Gold Amp befor mod.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 498
  • Empty dash boat.jpg
    Empty dash boat.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 587
  • Amp stack boat 1.jpg
    Amp stack boat 1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 631
I forgot to say that the hideaway unit for the stereo will also be going in there mounted on the back wall as you will see after tomorrow (Hopefully, if the weather holds out, supposed to rain!).

Here is another picture of the amp stack but remember nothing is wired yet, only mounted. I am going on 31 hrs now without sleep, goodnight all and I will get back with more tomorrow. I think I will make some good progress tomorrow as today I spent a lot of time doing prep work.

Attachments

• Amp stack boat 2 .jpg
    Amp stack boat 2 .jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 244
It takes a lot of hours for sure. I think I put in around 20 hours just on the audio system. Looks good so far.

Very Cool. We get a lot of people asking questions on Stereo equipment and wanting to know what is possible. I'm going to sticky this thread for a while to give some inspiration to other members.

Keep up the great work and keep the updates and pics coming! :)

It looks like your on you way to a kick butt stereo system...Remember to use stainless bolts and attachments to stop corrosion of the components.

Karl

Back