The game has changed...meet the new spark!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Minnetonka4me

Premium Member
Premium Member
Are we all gonna let the 2 stroke die now?? $5000 is amazing...

[video=youtube;JIOHWlYuBYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JIOHWlYuBYE[/video]

[video=youtube;cdvcqFZLHBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvcqFZLHBU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF5IpCMYnApc&app=desktop[/video]

I think it's awesome, that is $1200 LESS than what I bought my XP for back in 96. I'd be interested in this for the Mrs. and the kids. I'm not a fan of the bloated couches and frankly they are out of my price range. As far as ditching my 2 stroker, nah but possibly parting ways with my HX for a down payment, perhaps. Heck, I could sell that and one of my vintage sleds and be half way there! I think the $5K price point is gonna nail it.

Looks fun as hell, love the tech, but my 12 year old XP will dust this thing. Tops out at "just under 50".

I want to play with one that's for sure, but build me that poly tech whatever with just a hair more power and I'll pay $7k

Also, who will be the first to slam a 951 in this?!

I have a full engine in my basement ready to rock. Bolt on 40HP!

Whoever came up with unbolting the hull to access every part of the engine easily is an engineering rockstar! They should sell a ton of these. Besides being a little underpowered, the only thing I see missing is mirrors. A single driver with mirrors can tow here in TN.

I'll give it a test ride if they come near. At 5k why not lol. Who's going to pay $2500 for a 10 year old ski now?!

I was planning to pick up a 02 951 GTX For a winter project. Now I have to rethink this...

Looks like I will be buying one. Sell a couple x4s right in spring before too many people find out about these. The market for the 2 strokes is going to die quick. Send ses or sbt $1000 for a rebuild or put a down payment on one of these? No brainer for $5000. The rental market will be back since people can afford to buy these.

Looks fun as hell, love the tech, but my 12 year old XP will dust this thing. Tops out at "just under 50".

I want to play with one that's for sure, but build me that poly tech whatever with just a hair more power and I'll pay $7k

Also, who will be the first to slam a 951 in this?!

I have a full engine in my basement ready to rock. Bolt on 40HP!

Obviously, you're not the target demographic. When I got into Seadoo back in 1992/93 I bought my 89 SP for like $1800 then in 94/95 I picked up a 91 XP for $2300, then in 96 I got my XP for like $6100. I could never afford to get into the sport today if I was just out of high school like I was in 92. I busted my hump and saved my money and bought my first 2 skis cash, then put half down on my 96 and paid the rest off in 3 months. Now, I'd have a payment for 6 years on a new couch, this unit you can get into it cheap. I RARELY see a younger kid on a new ski, unless Daddy has a new one too if you know what I mean. My BIL has 2 kids 16 and 14, they don't like going out on the boat, they didn't use it once this season. He could sell that and be into a pair of these with no out of pocket money. Yes it's not the fastest, but it's the starter drug.

One unknown is the reliability of the engine in this application.

Any new model is always a bit scary as you just NEVER know...

I think BRP was super smart in creating and getting this to the market. At 5k even the newest riders can afford the ski. And for the money, it has a good speed/performance rating.

I think they will sell the crap out of the Spark...

O.K., lets let the dust settle before we get too excited. I've actually been following this and have had a few discussions. The $5000.00 ski is an entry level ski, if I were going to compare it to a ski, I would say it roughly compares to a 95XP 720. I once owned a 95XP a nice reliable ski, but a bit underpowered.

This is just speculation on my part, but what's going to be the price when you add the options, gauges, IBR, graphics options, storage options, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The other thing that concerns me is how repair friendly are these new SeaDoo's going to be. I work at a car dealership and I know that the new cars are practically impossible for the shade tree mechanic to work on. At least half of the fixes are a computer software upgrade. Are these new SeaDoo's going in this direction? I don't know.

This last comment is for Nick and Jess, I don't think you have anything to worry about, there's always going to be cheap bastards like me who enjoy keep these old 2-stroke ski's running, and actually like doing the work ourselves.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just like to take a realistic view about what's happening. I fully embrace the new spark and I think this is a great marketing strategy for BRP, all I'm saying is lets take a deep breath and see what happens. Personally I don't think I would buy one unless it can match the performance of a 96XP.

Lou

Added: All that being said, if I were a new buyer, and comparing it to a used ski, I would snap one up in a minute. Nothing like owning a new anything, car, truck, ski.

Last edited by a moderator:
geeez, way to kill the hype lou!!

i'm just kidding, i hear exactly what you're saying, the only question I asked was how fast does it go? by being under 50, any 787 will beat it, and when riding with spim on his x4 and he was on his gp, the x4 was even too slow. Although the price at 5K sounds pretty sweet, we could still go pick up many beautiful USED skis for 4K today. IF i had the money, I still probably wouldn't purchase one

O.K., lets let the dust settle before we get too excited. I've actually been following this and have had a few discussions. The $5000.00 ski is and entry level ski, if I were going to compare it to a ski, I would say it roughly compares to a 95XP 720. I once owned a 95XP a nice reliable ski, but a bit underpowered.

This is just speculation on my part, but what's going to be the price when you add the options, gauges, IBR, graphics options, storage options, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The other thing that concerns me is how repair friendly are these new SeaDoo's going to be. I work at a car dealership and I know that the new cars are practically impossible for the shade tree mechanic to work on. At least half of the fixes are a computer software upgrade. Are these new SeaDoo's going in this direction? I don't know.

This last comment is for Nick and Jess, I don't think you have anything to worry about, there's always going to be cheap bastards like me who enjoy keep these old 2-stroke ski's running, and actually like doing the work ourselves.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just like to take a realistic view about what's happening. I fully embrace the new spark and I think this is a great marketing strategy for BRP, all I'm saying is lets take a deep breath and see what happens. Personally I don't think I would buy one unless it can match the performance of a 96XP.

Lou

Added: All that being said, if I were a new buyer, and comparing it to a used ski, I would snap one up in a minute. Nothing like owning a new anything, car, truck, ski.

Thanks lou!! Its nice to have a positive note out there..

We will be lake testing them out at lake Havasu during the world final.. Will report back...

I'm sure they have engineered this as the entry level platform and next year will introduce a larger engine, or have an option for a bigger engine. But as said above, this entry level ski will be just that, basic. That ad-on flotation in the rear is a neat design when having heavier weight, then remove it to have fun, but i bet that has a nice price tag on it.

Only question is how long to these 4-tecs actually last? And when they go, its over 3 grand for a rebuild. I REALLY like the split hull design. No more hunchback days, mirrors or magnets. I could see after about 3-5 years, that seam may leak, or crack and have flooding issues. Price sure does make me worry, because I was about to sell my rebuilt gtx in canada for 4k! Hmm.. I better get on that! I'll spot the extra 1000 and be a test dummy!

as of 5oclock today,(i sold 2 skis), i have 8,yes,8,running 2stroke seadoos,and 2 2stroke yamis,
to replace these with sparks,im looking at 50grand. not gonna happen.

Hang on here guys.....everyone is comparing it to an XP 800, a big 3 seater GTX, etc.....

REMEMBER this is not a high performance ski. It's a 900 4 stroke with 60 or 90 HP for about $5K.
Maybe an entry ski but also looks to be a fun everyday type ski. Light weight so even a lady can handle it and you won't have to re mortgage your house to own one.

IBs on a small ski, it's the newest technology so better make use of it on every ski that you can, and maybe get better safety ratings too.

If you are looking to go 65MPH this isn't your ski, but your late teen kid will have fun on it.

The quick disconnect hull halves is a great idea.....my idea came true....it's in the threads somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back